-   -   Synaptic question (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/214303-synaptic-question.html)

Bart Silverstrim 12-18-2008 03:37 PM

Synaptic question

Quick question - is there a difference between the apt database and the
one used by Synaptic? I updated a fresh install, did the downloads,
changed the software sources to match what my other workstation had, but
when I did a "quick search" for openssh-server on the new one it didn't
appear. My other workstation did have it appear.

From the terminal, I could do sudo apt-get install openssh-server and
it installed just fine.

I don't see an option to rebuild any indexes or databases. Does it just
update over time or...?

Tony Arnold 12-18-2008 03:53 PM

Synaptic question

Bart,

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Quick question - is there a difference between the apt database and the
> one used by Synaptic? I updated a fresh install, did the downloads,
> changed the software sources to match what my other workstation had, but
> when I did a "quick search" for openssh-server on the new one it didn't
> appear. My other workstation did have it appear.

I've just started up Synaptic and above the search window it said
'rebuilding search index' and after about a minute this changed to
'Quick search'.

So I think it uses the same database of packages but it may use a
difference search index. I've no idea how to force it to update this.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold, Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security, Fax: +44 (0) 870 136 1004

Florian Diesch 12-19-2008 04:27 AM

Synaptic question

Tony Arnold <tony.arnold@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> Bart,
>
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>> Quick question - is there a difference between the apt database and the
>> one used by Synaptic? I updated a fresh install, did the downloads,
>> changed the software sources to match what my other workstation had, but
>> when I did a "quick search" for openssh-server on the new one it didn't
>> appear. My other workstation did have it appear.
>
> I've just started up Synaptic and above the search window it said
> 'rebuilding search index' and after about a minute this changed to
> 'Quick search'.
>
> So I think it uses the same database of packages but it may use a
> difference search index. I've no idea how to force it to update this.

'Quick search' uses another index (a fulltext index created by
update-apt-xapian-index) than the plain "Search" (which uses the
regular APT index)

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Bart Silverstrim 12-23-2008 12:39 PM

Synaptic question

Florian Diesch wrote:
> Tony Arnold <tony.arnold@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Bart,
>>
>> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>>> Quick question - is there a difference between the apt database and the
>>> one used by Synaptic? I updated a fresh install, did the downloads,
>>> changed the software sources to match what my other workstation had, but
>>> when I did a "quick search" for openssh-server on the new one it didn't
>>> appear. My other workstation did have it appear.
>> I've just started up Synaptic and above the search window it said
>> 'rebuilding search index' and after about a minute this changed to
>> 'Quick search'.
>>
>> So I think it uses the same database of packages but it may use a
>> difference search index. I've no idea how to force it to update this.
>
> 'Quick search' uses another index (a fulltext index created by
> update-apt-xapian-index) than the plain "Search" (which uses the
> regular APT index)

I just did a search and according to synaptic, update-apt-xapian-index
was already installed :-(