FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Bart Silverstrim
 
Default regarding network manager

I tried removing network manager with sudo apt-get remove
network-manager, and the menu item under system->administration or
system->preferences for configuring networking also disappeared.

This was on a fresh install of 8.10; can anyone confirm that GUI tools
for network configuration are totally dependent on network-manager being
installed? I removed it because of troubles getting a static network
configuration to work.

-Bart

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Rashkae
 
Default regarding network manager

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> I tried removing network manager with sudo apt-get remove
> network-manager, and the menu item under system->administration or
> system->preferences for configuring networking also disappeared.
>
> This was on a fresh install of 8.10; can anyone confirm that GUI tools
> for network configuration are totally dependent on network-manager being
> installed? I removed it because of troubles getting a static network
> configuration to work.
>
> -Bart
>

Bart, I Apologize in advance if this was changed in Itrepid and I led
you down a false trail. On the other hand, I think removing the
network configuration tool would be a serious step backwards for the distro.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Bart Silverstrim
 
Default regarding network manager

Rashkae wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>> I tried removing network manager with sudo apt-get remove
>> network-manager, and the menu item under system->administration or
>> system->preferences for configuring networking also disappeared.
>>
>> This was on a fresh install of 8.10; can anyone confirm that GUI tools
>> for network configuration are totally dependent on network-manager being
>> installed? I removed it because of troubles getting a static network
>> configuration to work.
>>
>> -Bart
>>
>
> Bart, I Apologize in advance if this was changed in Itrepid and I led
> you down a false trail. On the other hand, I think removing the
> network configuration tool would be a serious step backwards for the distro.
>

Not a problem since this was a new install, but you're right, it's odd
that it would let you remove a component that I would think is rather
integral for most users to use in configuring networking without warning
if there wasn't a fallback...

I didn't know if there was an alternative way to do it or if it's a
new-system-install glitch. It's a pain anyway since I was trying to get
Virtualbox installed with bridging and according to the site 2.1 was
released without the need for tun/tap...which I had to set up before
manually...and when I tried running it instead of being bridged it had
my machine's IP, and it seems as if when I closed it I lost all
networking! Yikes!

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-18-2008, 04:12 PM
NoOp
 
Default regarding network manager

On 12/18/2008 08:28 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> I tried removing network manager with sudo apt-get remove
> network-manager, and the menu item under system->administration or
> system->preferences for configuring networking also disappeared.

As it should. The util is: nm-connection-editor
And if you do a 'locate nm-connection-editor' you find that it is no
longer there.

It is part of the network-manager-gnome package:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/i386/network-manager-gnome/filelist
http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/network-manager-gnome
>
> This was on a fresh install of 8.10; can anyone confirm that GUI tools
> for network configuration are totally dependent on network-manager being
> installed? I removed it because of troubles getting a static network
> configuration to work.

Install wicd; you can then use a gui to configure both wired and
wireless. It's included in Jaunty:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/wicd
but for Hardy & Intrepid use:

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php
http://apt.wicd.net/

For Intrepid, just change the sources.list to:

deb http://apt.wicd.net intrepid extras


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Rashkae
 
Default regarding network manager

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/18/2008 08:28 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>> I tried removing network manager with sudo apt-get remove
>> network-manager, and the menu item under system->administration or
>> system->preferences for configuring networking also disappeared.
>
> As it should. The util is: nm-connection-editor
> And if you do a 'locate nm-connection-editor' you find that it is no
> longer there.

What happened to "network-admin" That's the GUI utility on my Gutsy and
Hardy systems that is network manager independant.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Rashkae
 
Default regarding network manager

Rashkae wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 12/18/2008 08:28 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>>> I tried removing network manager with sudo apt-get remove
>>> network-manager, and the menu item under system->administration or
>>> system->preferences for configuring networking also disappeared.
>> As it should. The util is: nm-connection-editor
>> And if you do a 'locate nm-connection-editor' you find that it is no
>> longer there.
>
> What happened to "network-admin" That's the GUI utility on my Gutsy and
> Hardy systems that is network manager independant.
>

Let me google that for myself

gnome-network-admin is now in the Universe repository for Intrepid,
rather than installed be default...

<Insert generic rant about Ubuntu fixing things that aren't broke until
they break>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-18-2008, 04:50 PM
NoOp
 
Default regarding network manager

On 12/18/2008 09:34 AM, Rashkae wrote:
> Rashkae wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>> On 12/18/2008 08:28 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>>>> I tried removing network manager with sudo apt-get remove
>>>> network-manager, and the menu item under system->administration or
>>>> system->preferences for configuring networking also disappeared.
>>> As it should. The util is: nm-connection-editor
>>> And if you do a 'locate nm-connection-editor' you find that it is no
>>> longer there.
>>
>> What happened to "network-admin" That's the GUI utility on my Gutsy and
>> Hardy systems that is network manager independant.
>>
>
> Let me google that for myself
>
> gnome-network-admin is now in the Universe repository for Intrepid,
> rather than installed be default...
>
> <Insert generic rant about Ubuntu fixing things that aren't broke until
> they break>
>

Found that and installed on Intrepid (I have NM uninstalled and wicd
installed instead). I'll be... the old _familiar_
System|Administration|Network GUI is actually there! I've not tried it
yet (beyond opening the GUI after password), Later today I'll unload
wicd and give it a spin just to test. Good find/catch!




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-18-2008, 05:29 PM
"Richard Mancusi"
 
Default regarding network manager

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:50, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> Found that and installed on Intrepid (I have NM uninstalled and wicd
> installed instead). I'll be... the old _familiar_
> System|Administration|Network GUI is actually there! I've not tried it
> yet (beyond opening the GUI after password), Later today I'll unload
> wicd and give it a spin just to test. Good find/catch!
>

NoOp -

Thank you for testing. If you have time, it would be nice to know if
both Static wired and wireless work. I didn't have a problem with
the old NM _IF_ I used DHCP on a wireless enabled computer OR
if I used Static on a non-wireless enabled computer.

Which is why I followed your advise and installed wicd on my wireless
computers.

tnx
-rich

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-18-2008, 05:31 PM
NoOp
 
Default regarding network manager

On 12/18/2008 09:50 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/18/2008 09:34 AM, Rashkae wrote:
>> Rashkae wrote:
>>> NoOp wrote:
>>>> On 12/18/2008 08:28 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>>>>> I tried removing network manager with sudo apt-get remove
>>>>> network-manager, and the menu item under system->administration or
>>>>> system->preferences for configuring networking also disappeared.
>>>> As it should. The util is: nm-connection-editor
>>>> And if you do a 'locate nm-connection-editor' you find that it is no
>>>> longer there.
>>>
>>> What happened to "network-admin" That's the GUI utility on my Gutsy and
>>> Hardy systems that is network manager independant.
>>>
>>
>> Let me google that for myself
>>
>> gnome-network-admin is now in the Universe repository for Intrepid,
>> rather than installed be default...
>>
>> <Insert generic rant about Ubuntu fixing things that aren't broke until
>> they break>
>>
>
> Found that and installed on Intrepid (I have NM uninstalled and wicd
> installed instead). I'll be... the old _familiar_
> System|Administration|Network GUI is actually there! I've not tried it
> yet (beyond opening the GUI after password), Later today I'll unload
> wicd and give it a spin just to test. Good find/catch!
>
>
>
>

Well... it works for wired (static and dhcp), but I found that my
wireless won't show wpa configuration any longer (wpasupplicant is
installed & wpa was working just fine w/wicd), only WEP. So it's back to
wicd for me :-). I'll still leave it installed to see how it reacts with
wicd etc.




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-18-2008, 05:36 PM
"Richard Mancusi"
 
Default regarding network manager

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:31, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> Well... it works for wired (static and dhcp), but I found that my
> wireless won't show wpa configuration any longer (wpasupplicant is
> installed & wpa was working just fine w/wicd), only WEP. So it's back to
> wicd for me :-). I'll still leave it installed to see how it reacts with
> wicd etc.
>

Thank you - WPA also works fine for me using wicd. I will stick with
wicd - can't imagine just using WEP.

-rich

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:20 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org