Old 12-18-2008, 05:09 AM
Knapp

Default Swapping partitions WAS: Please help new hard drive install

OK, I am a bit lost.
I have 2 copies of my partitions one on drive
sda (old one) and one on sdb the new one. I want to change my root
partition to be the one on the new drive but both must be labeled /
right? Also there is no uuid for the new partition, as best as I can
tell because it is not mounted, so how do I get the id? I could use a
label / but then how would it know which one to use? Anyway, as I said,
I am lost!

Thanks for all the help so far.

sba7 is the old one

sdb6 is the new one, if that helps any.

Thanks all!

--
Douglas E Knapp

Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=a s2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FF E

Old 12-18-2008, 06:08 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> I have 2 copies of my partitions one on drive sda (old one)
> and one on sdb
> the new one. I want to change my root partition to be the
> one on the new
> drive but both must be labeled / right? Also there is no
> uuid for the new
> partition, as best as I can tell because it is not mounted,
> so how do I get
> the id? I could use a label / but then how would it know
> which one to use?
> Anyway, as I said, I am lost!
> Thanks for all the help so far.
>
> sba7 is the old one
>
> sdb6 is the new one, if that helps any.
>
> Thanks all!

Hello Doug,

I don't know or if others know just what you're getting at.
Let me see if I can get you started so someone more expert
than I may help. You have 2 drives on the machine and you
want your root / on the second drive. Do you have an OS
installed on the 2nd drive or at least a file system? You
can't just go assigning a "/" directory on a partition
that I know of; installing an operating system such as
using and alternate or live CD will do it and perhaps if
you partition the sdb drive and assign a file system, ext3,
there may be a way to give it a "/" directory, but I don't
know; just a thought. if it could be done, you'd probably
have to copy your / dir from sda1 to sdb1 and tell your
OS where to look for the new /. So, why don't you tell the list just
why you want to do this, exactly what you did to partition
and setup the sdb drive and anything else related you might
think of. It's certainly simpler to have the OS on one drive.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-18-2008, 07:03 AM
Knapp

> I have 2 copies of my partitions one on drive sda (old one)

> and one on sdb

> the new one. I want to change my root partition to be the

> one on the new

> drive but both must be labeled / right? Also there is no

> uuid for the new

> partition, as best as I can tell because it is not mounted,

> so how do I get

> the id? I could use a label / but then how would it know

> which one to use?

> Anyway, as I said, I am lost!

> Thanks for all the help so far.

> sba7 is the old one

> sdb6 is the new one, if that helps any.

> Thanks all!

Hello Doug,

I don't know or if others know just what you're getting at.

Let me see if I can get you started so someone more expert

than I may help. You have 2 drives on the machine and you

want your root / on the second drive. Do you have an OS

installed on the 2nd drive or at least a file system? You

can't just go assigning a "/" directory on a partition

that I know of; installing an operating system such as

using and alternate or live CD will do it and perhaps if

you partition the sdb drive and assign a file system, ext3,

there may be a way to give it a "/" directory, but I don't

know; just a thought. if it could be done, you'd probably

have to copy your / dir from sda1 to sdb1 and tell your

OS where to look for the new /. *So, why don't you tell the list just

why you want to do this, exactly what you did to partition

and setup the sdb drive and anything else related you might

think of. It's certainly simpler to have the OS on one drive.

Leonard Chatagnier

lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Thanks for the reply, sorry if that was not clear.

I have 2 drives that are copies of each other. They both have a fully working linux on them. The full system is running off of sda and I want to make fstab now use sdb but just for the root partition. Perhaps looking at the first part of the thread would help.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> [...]
> your
> > OS where to look for the new /. So, why don't you
> tell the list just
> > why you want to do this, exactly what you did to
> partition
> > and setup the sdb drive and anything else related you
> might
> > think of. It's certainly simpler to have the OS on
> one drive.
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
> >

> Thanks for the reply, sorry if that was not clear.
>
> I have 2 drives that are copies of each other. They both
> have a fully
> working linux on them. The full system is running off of
> sda and I want to
> make fstab now use sdb but just for the root partition.
> Perhaps looking at
> the first part of the thread would help.

I think Rashkae has answered your request just prior to your reply.
I did read your post several times and still don't know why you
want to run / on sdb and swap and home on the other. But it's
your choice of course. Hope Rashkae has the answer for you.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Knapp

I think Rashkae has answered your request just prior to your reply.

I did read your post several times and still don't know why you

want to run / on sdb and swap and home on the other. But it's

your choice of course. Hope Rashkae has the answer for you.

Leonard Chatagnier

lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

My thinking is that the new B drive is faster and what bugs me most about my Linux is how long it takes for things like FF to boot, so putting that on the fast drive my help, if only by a little. But, having looked at the reply, I think it is easier to just leave root on A and move Home to B.

Even having read his answer I am still not getting the job done. I am getting a bit frustrated at this point. I am a bit over my head with all this file mounting and partition stuff.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Rashkae

Knapp wrote:

> My thinking is that the new B drive is faster and what bugs me most about my
> Linux is how long it takes for things like FF to boot, so putting that on
> the fast drive my help, if only by a little. But, having looked at the
> reply, I think it is easier to just leave root on A and move Home to B.
>
> Even having read his answer I am still not getting the job done. I am
> getting a bit frustrated at this point. I am a bit over my head with all
> this file mounting and partition stuff.
>
> Thanks for the help.

I Knapp.. I'm sorry my (des)instructions weren't clear enough to help
you out. I know it was a broad overview and not step by step.

May I suggest, however, the often overlooked resource of getting
person-on-person help? If there's a LUG somewhere near to you, maybe
you can bring your system to their next regular meeting and ask for some
help.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Knapp

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:

Knapp wrote:

> My thinking is that the new B drive is faster and what bugs me most about my

> Linux is how long it takes for things like FF to boot, so putting that on

> the fast drive my help, if only by a little. But, having looked at the

> reply, I think it is easier to just leave root on A and move Home to B.

> Even having read his answer I am still not getting the job done. I am

> getting a bit frustrated at this point. I am a bit over my head with all

> this file mounting and partition stuff.

> Thanks for the help.

I Knapp.. I'm sorry my (des)instructions weren't clear enough to help

you out. *I know it was a broad overview and not step by step.

May I suggest, however, the often overlooked resource of getting

person-on-person help? *If there's a LUG somewhere near to you, maybe

you can bring your system to their next regular meeting and ask for some

help.

I don't know of one and I have looked. It is a bit hard also because I am from the USA and live in Germany and don't speak well yet. I bet there might be one within a 2 hour drive.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Knapp wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:
>
>> Knapp wrote:
>>
>>> My thinking is that the new B drive is faster and what bugs me most about
>> my
>>> Linux is how long it takes for things like FF to boot, so putting that on
>>> the fast drive my help, if only by a little. But, having looked at the
>>> reply, I think it is easier to just leave root on A and move Home to B.
>>>
>>> Even having read his answer I am still not getting the job done. I am
>>> getting a bit frustrated at this point. I am a bit over my head with all
>>> this file mounting and partition stuff.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help.
>> I Knapp.. I'm sorry my (des)instructions weren't clear enough to help
>> you out. I know it was a broad overview and not step by step.
>>
>> May I suggest, however, the often overlooked resource of getting
>> person-on-person help? If there's a LUG somewhere near to you, maybe
>> you can bring your system to their next regular meeting and ask for some
>> help.
>>

> I don't know of one and I have looked. It is a bit hard also because I am
> from the USA and live in Germany and don't speak well yet. I bet there might
> be one within a 2 hour drive.

Sorry I only read a couple of the thread earlier and suggested the
cloning, but I thought the old drive was being retired after the clone,
so I didn't think about the UUID issue.

What is being planned for the old drive? If the old drive is cloned and
all the data works on the new drive, can't the old drive be wiped clean,
reformatted and cleared and reformatted to get a new UUID?

Old 12-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Knapp

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:

Knapp wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:

>> Knapp wrote:

>>> My thinking is that the new B drive is faster and what bugs me most about

>> my

>>> Linux is how long it takes for things like FF to boot, so putting that on

>>> the fast drive my help, if only by a little. But, having looked at the

>>> reply, I think it is easier to just leave root on A and move Home to B.

>>> Even having read his answer I am still not getting the job done. I am

>>> getting a bit frustrated at this point. I am a bit over my head with all

>>> this file mounting and partition stuff.

>>> Thanks for the help.

>> I Knapp.. I'm sorry my (des)instructions weren't clear enough to help

>> you out. *I know it was a broad overview and not step by step.

>> May I suggest, however, the often overlooked resource of getting

>> person-on-person help? *If there's a LUG somewhere near to you, maybe

>> you can bring your system to their next regular meeting and ask for some

>> help.

> I don't know of one and I have looked. It is a bit hard also because I am

> from the USA and live in Germany and don't speak well yet. I bet there might

> be one within a 2 hour drive.

Sorry I only read a couple of the thread earlier and suggested the

cloning, but I thought the old drive was being retired after the clone,

so I didn't think about the UUID issue.

What is being planned for the old drive? If the old drive is cloned and

all the data works on the new drive, can't the old drive be wiped clean,

reformatted and cleared and reformatted to get a new UUID?

NP, all fixed now. I am using the old drive as a place to put backup data and that is also why I cloned it. I also had no idea about this UUID issue but it was fixed with one simple command, once the problem was known. The other reason for having 2 drives in that I am hoping that the system will run faster that way. Home on one and root on the other.

Best,

Old 12-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Preston Kutzner

NP, all fixed now. I am using the old drive as a place to put backup
data and that is also why I cloned it. I also had no idea about this
UUID issue but it was fixed with one simple command, once the
problem was known. The other reason for having 2 drives in that I am
hoping that the system will run faster that way. Home on one and
root on the other.

Care to share with the list exactly what it was that fixed the
problem, so that people searching through the archives can find the
answer?