FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-18-2008, 12:58 AM
Preston Kutzner
 
Default Printing multiple copies

Not sure if this is quite what you were looking for. But, using
the following command, I still only got 1 copy from the Toshiba
printer:


lp -p <printer_name> -n 2 <file>

This command *did* yield 2 copies on the HP printer, though. The
command Brian suggested only gave me an error when trying to
specify a page count.
This would be good, but I need to print multiple copies of pages
within a document.


Yes, unfortunately, it doesn't really help in your situation. But,
since you are using an HP printer, the collate option should work for
you to be able to get more than one copy of your document, or pages of
your document. I can confirm that it works with page ranges, at least
it does for me.


Unfortunately, there's still no explanation as to *why* multiple
copies doesn't work unless collation is selected, or why it doesn't
work at all for a printer that I never had a problem with under Hardy.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-18-2008, 03:20 AM
NoOp
 
Default Printing multiple copies

On 12/17/2008 05:58 PM, Preston Kutzner wrote:
>>> Not sure if this is quite what you were looking for. But, using
>>> the following command, I still only got 1 copy from the Toshiba
>>> printer:
>>>
>>> lp -p <printer_name> -n 2 <file>
>>>
>>> This command *did* yield 2 copies on the HP printer, though. The
>>> command Brian suggested only gave me an error when trying to
>>> specify a page count.
>> This would be good, but I need to print multiple copies of pages
>> within a document.
>
> Yes, unfortunately, it doesn't really help in your situation. But,
> since you are using an HP printer, the collate option should work for
> you to be able to get more than one copy of your document, or pages of
> your document. I can confirm that it works with page ranges, at least
> it does for me.
>
> Unfortunately, there's still no explanation as to *why* multiple
> copies doesn't work unless collation is selected, or why it doesn't
> work at all for a printer that I never had a problem with under Hardy.
>

Multiple copies works for me (intrepid) via OOo and Firefox to both a
Canon MP750 (via IPP) and to a cups-pdf printer. This appears (IMO) to
be an HP issue. Could be wrong, but I find no issues printing via IPP
from Intrepid to an Hardy connected Canon.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-18-2008, 06:58 AM
"Brian McKee"
 
Default Printing multiple copies

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 6:49 PM, Preston Kutzner <shizzlecash@gmail.com> wrote:
> using the
> following command, I still only got 1 copy from the Toshiba printer:
>
> lp -p <printer_name> -n 2 <file>
>
> This command *did* yield 2 copies on the HP printer, though. The command
> Brian suggested only gave me an error when trying to specify a page count.

My apologies - I did check the lpr man page - and I've done so again -
but in this case it looks like Intrepid is different than Hardy (and
Lenny, and Darwin) so I gather now it's -n # of copies not just -#

I'm mildly shocked they'd change that mind you.... I wonder if that's
why some things are having issues.

And I'm not too surprised it worked on the HP - you still have collate
set as a default option don't you.

Brian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Preston Kutzner
 
Default Printing multiple copies

On Dec 17, 2008, at 10:20 PM, NoOp wrote:


On 12/17/2008 05:58 PM, Preston Kutzner wrote:

Not sure if this is quite what you were looking for. But, using
the following command, I still only got 1 copy from the Toshiba
printer:

lp -p <printer_name> -n 2 <file>

This command *did* yield 2 copies on the HP printer, though. The
command Brian suggested only gave me an error when trying to
specify a page count.

This would be good, but I need to print multiple copies of pages
within a document.


Yes, unfortunately, it doesn't really help in your situation. But,
since you are using an HP printer, the collate option should work for
you to be able to get more than one copy of your document, or pages
of
your document. I can confirm that it works with page ranges, at
least

it does for me.

Unfortunately, there's still no explanation as to *why* multiple
copies doesn't work unless collation is selected, or why it doesn't
work at all for a printer that I never had a problem with under
Hardy.




Multiple copies works for me (intrepid) via OOo and Firefox to both a
Canon MP750 (via IPP) and to a cups-pdf printer. This appears (IMO) to
be an HP issue. Could be wrong, but I find no issues printing via IPP
from Intrepid to an Hardy connected Canon.


I want to throw in that I *can* print multiple copies to an HP
printer, but must have collate selected. I *can not* print multiple
copies from a Toshiba eStudio-451c mutli-function. Again, I have
never had these problems with any previous version of Ubuntu (since
6.04).
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Preston Kutzner
 
Default Printing multiple copies

On Dec 18, 2008, at 1:58 AM, Brian McKee wrote:

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 6:49 PM, Preston Kutzner <shizzlecash@gmail.com
> wrote:

using the
following command, I still only got 1 copy from the Toshiba printer:

lp -p <printer_name> -n 2 <file>

This command *did* yield 2 copies on the HP printer, though. The
command
Brian suggested only gave me an error when trying to specify a page
count.


My apologies - I did check the lpr man page - and I've done so again -
but in this case it looks like Intrepid is different than Hardy (and
Lenny, and Darwin) so I gather now it's -n # of copies not just -#

I'm mildly shocked they'd change that mind you.... I wonder if that's
why some things are having issues.

And I'm not too surprised it worked on the HP - you still have collate
set as a default option don't you.


I have tried setting collate as a default, but it doesn't appear to
"stick". I still have to select it in the print dialog every time I
try to print more than one copy. But, in the past I was able to print
multiple copies of a document regardless of whether or not collate was
checked.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Keith Clark
 
Default Printing multiple copies

Preston Kutzner wrote:
Not sure if this is quite what you were looking for. But, using the
following command, I still only got 1 copy from the Toshiba printer:


lp -p <printer_name> -n 2 <file>

This command *did* yield 2 copies on the HP printer, though. The
command Brian suggested only gave me an error when trying to specify
a page count.
This would be good, but I need to print multiple copies of pages
within a document.


Yes, unfortunately, it doesn't really help in your situation. But,
since you are using an HP printer, the collate option should work for
you to be able to get more than one copy of your document, or pages of
your document. I can confirm that it works with page ranges, at least
it does for me.


Unfortunately, there's still no explanation as to *why* multiple
copies doesn't work unless collation is selected, or why it doesn't
work at all for a printer that I never had a problem with under Hardy.
I finally got around to trying this out today and it does indeed work.
Selecting Collate does print multiples and is a good enough solution for
the moment.


I'll file a bug report.

Thanks for the help,

Keith

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Preston Kutzner
 
Default Printing multiple copies

I'll file a bug report.


Please post the bug number (or a link to the bug) back to the list.
I'd like to get my AOL! in on it.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Keith Clark
 
Default Printing multiple copies

Preston Kutzner wrote:

I'll file a bug report.


Please post the bug number (or a link to the bug) back to the list.
I'd like to get my AOL! in on it.

Bug # 309881

Keith

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-20-2008, 12:28 AM
NoOp
 
Default Printing multiple copies

On 12/19/2008 05:22 PM, Keith Clark wrote:
> Preston Kutzner wrote:
>>> I'll file a bug report.
>>
>> Please post the bug number (or a link to the bug) back to the list.
>> I'd like to get my AOL! in on it.
> Bug # 309881
>
> Keith
>
>

Why not just post the full link to it so that others not familiar with
launchpad can simply click and view?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/309881




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-20-2008, 12:36 AM
Keith Clark
 
Default Printing multiple copies

NoOp wrote:

On 12/19/2008 05:22 PM, Keith Clark wrote:


Preston Kutzner wrote:


I'll file a bug report.

Please post the bug number (or a link to the bug) back to the list.
I'd like to get my AOL! in on it.


Bug # 309881

Keith





Why not just post the full link to it so that others not familiar with
launchpad can simply click and view?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/309881






Sorry about that!

Keith

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:09 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org