Old 12-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Carl Flippin

Default Disabling gvfs

I am running intrepid x64. I am not using gnome and not using
Nautilus. I use ion3 as my window manager and any file operations I
do, I do via a command line. As such, it seems live gvfs does little
for me but, currently, gvfsd-http is occupying over 200M of memory. I
would like, if possible, to remove it.

My questions:

1. What will disabling gvfsd break? I don't use Nautilus or the gnome
desktop. I use ion3 and zsh for most things. I do, however, have some
gnome-related stuff. I run banshee and transmission which seem to save
their settings in gnome directories.

2. Assuming it is not insane to disable gvfsd, how would I do so? I
note that ubuntu-desktop depends on it. Since that's a meta-package,
it seems like it wouldn't be the end of the world to remove that but
it seems like most of the packages on my system would then be hanging
dependencies on a package no longer there. would an auto-remove then
nuke my whole system? Can I just stop it from running somehow?

I googled extensively to try and find answers to these but couldn't
find anything similar. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Carl Flippin | An idealist is one who, on noticing that a
carlf@photocarl.org | rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes

Old 12-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Chris Jones

Hi,

> I googled extensively to try and find answers to these but couldn't
> find anything similar. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My feeling is removing gvfsd will only cause problems in the long run.
There are a lot of things that depend on it.

I would suggest the question you should ask (first) is not how to remove
it, but why is it using so much resources ? 200M for gvfsd-http seems
unreasonable ...

Presumably if that can be reduced to something sane, then you would be
more happy to live with it ?

Chris