Old 12-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Scott Berry

Default a problem with mysql

Have a nice day,
Scott Berry
E-mail: N7zib@northlc.com

I had a problem with my password for mysql and then I deleted all files
in /etc/mysql and now I am trying to get mysql to regenerate the files
in /etc/mysql. How does one go about doing that? A reinstall of
mysql-client5 and mysql-server-5 and mysql-commo9n-5 did not doit. That
is version 5.0rather. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:39 AM
Thibaut

Scott Berry wrote:
> Have a nice day,
> Scott Berry
> E-mail: N7zib@northlc.com
>
> I had a problem with my password for mysql and then I deleted all files
> in /etc/mysql and now I am trying to get mysql to regenerate the files
> in /etc/mysql. How does one go about doing that? A reinstall of
> mysql-client5 and mysql-server-5 and mysql-commo9n-5 did not doit. That
> is version 5.0rather. Thanks for the help.

try to reinstall the package like that :
sudo dpkg -r --force-remove-reinstreq mysql-server

--
Thibaut Lassalle

Old 12-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Scott Berry

hello there,

This did not do the trick. It looks like the command may be wrong could
you please double check it?

Old 12-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Scott Berry

I did finally get the command to work but it did not resolve any of the
problems. It's still saying it's missing the debian-sys-maint user and
probably does not see anything in /etc/mysql.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 05:31:08AM -0600, Scott Berry wrote:
> I did finally get the command to work but it did not resolve any of the
> problems. It's still saying it's missing the debian-sys-maint user and
> probably does not see anything in /etc/mysql.

Try 'apt-get purge mysql-server', then reinstall.

You could also google the sys-maint user. The password is stored
somewhere in the filesytem (I think), and you could recreate the user
that way.

--
Hal

Old 12-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Scott Berry

hey Hal,

Thanks for your help you almost got me going here. Just one more
question for any one what are the permissions supposed to be on
debian-start it says it can't read it so I am wondering if that file has
certainpermissions maybe. Thanks guys.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 05:01:12PM -0600, Scott Berry wrote:
> hey Hal,
>
> Thanks for your help you almost got me going here. Just one more
> question for any one what are the permissions supposed to be on
> debian-start it says it can't read it so I am wondering if that file has
> certainpermissions maybe. Thanks guys.

Mine are like this:

$ ll /etc/mysql/debian-start
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1198 2007-10-12 10:52 /etc/mysql/debian-start*

That's on 8.04. Is it even there?

--
Hal

Old 12-19-2008, 03:12 AM
Scott Berry

Hal,

yeah I went aheaD AND DID SOME GOOGLING AND RECREATED IT. i FOUND A
PLACE ON THE INSTERNET THAT TOLD ME HOW TO RECREATE IT.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:19 AM
Scott Berry

Hal,

I tried your permissions as "chmod /wrxr-xr-x" and that didn't seem to
work either.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:32 AM
Brendan

try to figure out where the problem came from