Old 12-15-2008, 08:54 PM
"Rich Goodman"

Default Ubuntu 8.10 & Compaq Evo

*
*** I recently purchased an installation CD
with Ubantu 8.10 and installed it on a Compaq Evo with an Intel Pentium 4,
*2.4 Ghz processor, 1024 Mbytes of ram, and a 160 Gbyte hard drive with
Ubantu being the only operating system on the drive.* I believe the
computer has an integrated Nvida graphics card.* The computer boots up and
asks me for my user name and password.* I can open the
Options*menu and make changes at this time, but after
completing the USER*NAME and Password the
screen goes blank with only the cursor visible (and functioning) with the Ubantu
background color present.**** Any help would be
appreciated.* I am new to this OS, so please keep that in mind when
responding.* Thanks for your time.
*
Best regards,
*
Rich

Old 12-17-2008, 03:08 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Rich Goodman wrote:

> I recently purchased an installation CD with Ubantu 8.10 and installed it on a Compaq Evo with an Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 Ghz processor, 1024 Mbytes of ram, and a 160 Gbyte hard drive with Ubantu being the only operating system on the drive. I believe the computer has an integrated Nvida graphics card. The computer boots up and asks me for my user name and password. I can open the Options menu and make changes at this time, but after completing the USER NAME and Password the screen goes blank with only the cursor visible (and functioning) with the Ubantu background color present. Any help would be appreciated. I am new to this OS, so please keep that in mind when responding. Thanks for your time.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rich

Does the CD you bought load up and give you a screen on your
computer? We call that a LiveCD. Or does your CD use a text pages to
load? If it is the first type we can learn a lot about your computer.
And about the nVidia video.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-17-2008, 06:09 PM
NoOp

On 12/15/2008 01:54 PM, Rich Goodman wrote:

> I recently purchased an installation CD with Ubantu 8.10 and
> installed it on a Compaq Evo with an Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 Ghz
> processor, 1024 Mbytes of ram, and a 160 Gbyte hard drive with Ubantu
> being the only operating system on the drive. I believe the computer
> has an integrated Nvida graphics card. The computer boots up and
> asks me for my user name and password. I can open the Options menu
> and make changes at this time

When you select Options, also then select:

- Select Session
- Failsafe GNOME
- Change Session
Username
Password

That will put you in the "Failsafe" mode and will start the session
without startup scripts - at the prompt click OK.

Post back and let us know if that gets you a Ubuntu desktop screen.