Old 12-14-2008, 07:24 AM
"happy singh kilhor"

Default have question

hello

congratulation for the new version.

i have a question about the installation of ubuntu:-

what is the minimum system requirement for Ubuntu 8.10 instalation?

i have a p3 700mhzs 252 ram and 20gb hdd.Is it possible to install the
new version of ubuntu on it?and if not which version will do fine on my
machine.

waiting for your reply

regards

vivek kilhor

Old 12-17-2008, 03:09 PM
"Haneef Bashir"

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 4:24 PM, happy singh kilhor <vkilhor@gmail.com> wrote:
> hello
>
> congratulation for the new version.
>
> i have a question about the installation of ubuntu:-
>
> what is the minimum system requirement for Ubuntu 8.10 instalation?
>
> i have a p3 700mhzs 252 ram and 20gb hdd.Is it possible to install the new
> version of ubuntu on it?and if not which version will do fine on my machine.
>
> waiting for your reply
in my opinion the new ubuntu might be too bloated for your comp and
would run slow. i have i similar machine that i had to uninstall
xubuntu and install puppy to get back some performance. you can also
try debian. also as some one requested to me you can turn off some of
the apps that hog a lot of resources and that should make it run
smoother.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Rashkae

happy singh kilhor wrote:
> hello
>
> congratulation for the new version.
>
> i have a question about the installation of ubuntu:-
>
> what is the minimum system requirement for Ubuntu 8.10 instalation?
>
> i have a p3 700mhzs 252 ram and 20gb hdd.Is it possible to install the new
> version of ubuntu on it?and if not which version will do fine on my machine.

Your system is very low on RAM.. if you want to install Ubuntu, you
should use the alt-install CD

Even then, be aware that memory hungry applications such as Firefox or
Open Office running on the Gnome desktop will very quickly overwhelm the
RAM of your system and be very slow

Old 12-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Mark Barton

Rashkae wrote:
> happy singh kilhor wrote:
>
>> hello
>>
>> congratulation for the new version.
>>
>> i have a question about the installation of ubuntu:-
>>
>> what is the minimum system requirement for Ubuntu 8.10 instalation?
>>
>> i have a p3 700mhzs 252 ram and 20gb hdd.Is it possible to install the new
>> version of ubuntu on it?and if not which version will do fine on my machine.
>>

> Your system is very low on RAM.. if you want to install Ubuntu, you
> should use the alt-install CD
>
> Even then, be aware that memory hungry applications such as Firefox or
> Open Office running on the Gnome desktop will very quickly overwhelm the
> RAM of your system and be very slow

Here is a couple of reference points. I have a old Dell Dimension and a
Micron PC that have 800 MHz PIII's and 256 GiB memory. The Micron has
Ubuntu 8.04 installed whereas the Dell has Ubuntu 8.10 (well actually
Edubuntu). I installed both using the respective live CD. Neither
machine is my primary computer so they are mostly used for testing,
browsing (using Firefox) and some word processing. Both perform more
than satisfactorily for my purposes. Surprisingly well in fact.

HTH,
Mark