Old 12-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Peter l Jakobi

Default internet access problem - was: Help !!

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 02:02:50PM +0100, Hannah Josephine Dippe wrote:
> Hello to you all,
>
> I set up my old ThinkPad i1200 with ubuntu 8.04 lts.
>
> For networking I used a D-Link W-Lan-PC-Card witch is installed
> by ubuntu properly. I can ping all devices in my network.
> The PC-card is active as <eth0>, but unknown as interface??

you're using a wlan; even if the pccard is really called eth0, it
still isn't ethernet. You're using TCP over WLAN, e.g. when you used
ping (that is ISO/OSI level 3, routed connections, etc pp)

> At last, I tried to bring up a connection to the internet over
> PPPOE. This task failed, because the assistent didn't find
> an usable Ethernetmodem.

pppoe is an application talking to ethernet modems directly at level
2, that is it doesn't even talk tcp/ip (unless maybe for its
management interface if any).

Examples for old ethernet modems usable via pppoe are maybe the orkit
series of dumb ethernet modems. However, to see them you DO need to
run a physical ethernet cable between modem and computer w/o any
router or wlan inbetween.

Thus you'll quite correctly won't see any Orkit or similar modem over
the WLAN interface.

Of course you could use the wlan to connect to a router (tcp), run
PPPOE *on* the router (linux pc, wrt54g, whatever), and have an
ethernet cable between router and ethernet modem.

Newer dsl internet access hardware usually is a router, maybe even
with a wlan interface. These you talk to via TCP/IP, by making them
the default route for your computer. TCP/IP can be routed between
ethernet lans and wlan cells, so this would work.

cu
Peter
--
cu
Peter l Jakobi

Old 12-17-2008, 01:27 PM
"Hannah Josephine Dippe"

Hello Peter,

thanks for your message!

I solved the problem by setting a dns-server-ip in the eth0-configuration.

All tasks run good.

I did not understand your message really, but it gives me the power to
stand up!

hannah josephine dippe