Old 12-17-2008, 12:02 PM
"Hannah Josephine Dippe"

Default Help !!

Hello to you all,

I set up my old ThinkPad i1200 with ubuntu 8.04 lts.

For networking I used a D-Link W-Lan-PC-Card witch is installed
by ubuntu properly. I can ping all devices in my network.

At last, I tried to bring up a connection to the internet over
PPPOE. This task failed, because the assistent didn't find
an usable Ethernetmodem.

The PC-card is active as <eth0>, but unknown as interface??

Is there anybody out there to solve my problem??

Thanks for help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hannah josephine dippe

Old 12-17-2008, 01:08 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Hannah Josephine Dippe
<hannah@hannah-and-friends.de> wrote:
> Hello to you all,
>
> I set up my old ThinkPad i1200 with ubuntu 8.04 lts.
>
> For networking I used a D-Link W-Lan-PC-Card witch is installed
> by ubuntu properly. I can ping all devices in my network.
>
> At last, I tried to bring up a connection to the internet over
> PPPOE. This task failed, because the assistent didn't find
> an usable Ethernetmodem.
>
> The PC-card is active as <eth0>, but unknown as interface??

PPPoE is the wrong tool for this - it's usually used when your laptop
is plugged directly into the modem.

In your case you are using wireless to get on your LAN. Assuming
other devices on your LAN can get out to the internet, then if your
laptop can ping local it should be able to get out as well.

Stop trying PPPoE and go back to where you can ping devices on the
LAN. Try to ping google.com by name and IP address and if it's not
working, post the results here for the next step.

Brian