Old 12-17-2008, 09:07 AM
CLIFFORD ILKAY

Default checking md5 sum in windows

Computer assistance to Akatsi District project Ghana wrote:
> Hello
> How do i check the md5 sum of a DVD iso image in Windows. I know this
> probably is a stupid question, but i simply do not know how to do it.

<http://www.etree.org/md5com.html> Of course you'll then have the
chicken and egg of problem of how you can trust the binary you just
downloaded.

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis
1419-3266 Yonge St.
Toronto, ON
Canada M4N 3P6

<http://dinamis.com>
+1 416-410-3326

Old 12-17-2008, 10:22 AM

On Wed, 17. December 2008 11:07:28 CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> Computer assistance to Akatsi District project Ghana wrote:
> > Hello
> > How do i check the md5 sum of a DVD iso image in Windows. I know this
> > probably is a stupid question, but i simply do not know how to do it.
>
> <http://www.etree.org/md5com.html> Of course you'll then have the
> chicken and egg of problem of how you can trust the binary you just
> downloaded.

Maybe sourceforge is more trustworthy than etree:
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
:-)

There is not only md5sums but also a lot of other Unix Tools we love: find,
grep, gawk, ...

regards,
thomas

Old 12-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Computer assistance to Akatsi District project Ghana wrote:
> Hello
> How do i check the md5 sum of a DVD iso image in Windows. I know this
> probably is a stupid question, but i simply do not know how to do it.

I use a freeware program called md5summer to do that under Windows.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:58 PM
NoOp

On 12/17/2008 06:15 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Computer assistance to Akatsi District project Ghana wrote:
>> Hello
>> How do i check the md5 sum of a DVD iso image in Windows. I know this
>> probably is a stupid question, but i simply do not know how to do it.
>
> I use a freeware program called md5summer to do that under Windows.

While looking for a link that I seem to recall on Microsoft's site
regarding md5sum I ran across this :-)

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.gen eral&tid=7d5a0751-43e6-4580-aaf4-44335ded3b17&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1>
[MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex in Windows Vista General Discussion]

Anyway... for the OP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Md5sum
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=B3C93558-31B7-47E2-A663-7365C1686C08&displaylang=en>
[Does both md5sum and sha1]

Links of md5summer etc are there as well.