Old 12-17-2008, 02:41 AM
NoOp

Default how to disable pulseaudio

On 12/16/2008 07:17 PM, H.S. wrote:

> Just wanted to know if somebody knows how to disable pulseaudio in Hardy.
>
> I have so far set all options in Preferences->Sound to use Alsa. I have
> uninstalled some packages regarding pulse audio and also remove
> /etc/asound.conf that I used to set pulseaudio to default. I now have
> only the following packages remaining regarding pulseaudio:
> gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio libpulse-browse0 libpulse-mainloop-glib0
> libpulse0 libpulsecore5 pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-utils
>
> But I still see a pulse audio process when a user is logged in:
> $ ps uax | grep pulse
> hs 6192 0.0 1.0 26976 4876 ? S<l 21:17 0:04
> /usr/bin/pulseaudio --log-target=syslog
>

> So, what do I need to really disable pulseaudio. Preferably the option
> should not involve uninstalling pulseaudio package (moreover, if I try
> to remove pulseaudio in Hardy, it also wants to remove other desktop
> packages).
>
> Thanks.

I was just trying to figure out similar as Adacity doesn't work with
pulseaudio. Found these for 'suspending' PA:

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#Audacity
http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=pasuspender

But I'm at the point where I'm just going to uninstall it on a hardy
test machine to see what the effects are. Uninstalling ubuntu-desktop in
the process doesn't bother me much... I just have to remember to
reinstall before any major upgrade. I'll post back if it blows anything up.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:48 AM
"H.S."

NoOp wrote:

> I was just trying to figure out similar as Adacity doesn't work with
> pulseaudio. Found these for 'suspending' PA:
>
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#Audacity
> http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=pasuspender
>
> But I'm at the point where I'm just going to uninstall it on a hardy
> test machine to see what the effects are. Uninstalling ubuntu-desktop in
> the process doesn't bother me much... I just have to remember to
> reinstall before any major upgrade. I'll post back if it blows anything up.

Thanks, much appreciated.

ever having been read.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:10 AM
NoOp

On 12/16/2008 07:48 PM, H.S. wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> I was just trying to figure out similar as Adacity doesn't work with
>> pulseaudio. Found these for 'suspending' PA:
>>
>> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#Audacity
>> http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=pasuspender
>>
>> But I'm at the point where I'm just going to uninstall it on a hardy
>> test machine to see what the effects are. Uninstalling ubuntu-desktop in
>> the process doesn't bother me much... I just have to remember to
>> reinstall before any major upgrade. I'll post back if it blows anything up.
>>

> Thanks, much appreciated.

Hardy (not tested w/Intrepid yet)
~$ uname -a
Linux gg2xp 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 27 18:44:42 UTC 2008 i686
GNU/Linux

Note: the -23 is a 'proposed' kernel - I also tested with -22 with the
same results.

sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio

Rebooted & have checked the following so far - all working just fine now:

- Rythmbox
- Audacity
- Amorok
- DVD - Played the Matrix (Movie Player/Totem, SMplayer, Mplayer, VLC)
- System|Preferences|Sound - all tests work.

I changed nothing else - sound device is set on Intel ICH5 (Alsa mixer).
I've also not tested anything beyond the above, so your results may differ.

So, I'd say "have at it"! You can of course reinstall PA (PitA? :-) if
you need to + don't forget to do a 'sudo apt-get install--reinstall
ubuntu-desktop' just before you do any major upgrade(s).

Old 12-17-2008, 04:14 AM
NoOp

On 12/16/2008 09:10 PM, NoOp wrote:

> Rebooted & have checked the following so far - all working just fine now:
>
> - Rythmbox
> - Audacity
> - Amorok
> - DVD - Played the Matrix (Movie Player/Totem, SMplayer, Mplayer, VLC)
> - System|Preferences|Sound - all tests work.

Sorry, forgot to add that I also tested youtube.com w/flash via
SeaMonkey and Firefox. Both worked just fine.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:35 AM
"H.S."

NoOp wrote:

> Hardy (not tested w/Intrepid yet)
> ~$ uname -a
> Linux gg2xp 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 27 18:44:42 UTC 2008 i686
> GNU/Linux
>
> Note: the -23 is a 'proposed' kernel - I also tested with -22 with the
> same results.
>
> sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio
>
> Rebooted & have checked the following so far - all working just fine now:
>
> - Rythmbox
> - Audacity
> - Amorok
> - DVD - Played the Matrix (Movie Player/Totem, SMplayer, Mplayer, VLC)
> - System|Preferences|Sound - all tests work.
>
> I changed nothing else - sound device is set on Intel ICH5 (Alsa mixer).
> I've also not tested anything beyond the above, so your results may differ.
>
> So, I'd say "have at it"! You can of course reinstall PA (PitA? :-) if
> you need to + don't forget to do a 'sudo apt-get install--reinstall
> ubuntu-desktop' just before you do any major upgrade(s).

So removing pulseaudio did remove ubuntu-desktop, correct? If yes, looks
like nothing really broke. Also, does reinstalling ubuntu-desktop bring
back pulseaudio later?

Thanks for your feedback.

ever having been read.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:50 PM
NoOp

On 12/16/2008 09:35 PM, H.S. wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> Hardy (not tested w/Intrepid yet)
>> ~$ uname -a
>> Linux gg2xp 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 27 18:44:42 UTC 2008 i686
>> GNU/Linux
>>
>> Note: the -23 is a 'proposed' kernel - I also tested with -22 with the
>> same results.
>>
>> sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio
>>
>> Rebooted & have checked the following so far - all working just fine now:
>>
>> - Rythmbox
>> - Audacity
>> - Amorok
>> - DVD - Played the Matrix (Movie Player/Totem, SMplayer, Mplayer, VLC)
>> - System|Preferences|Sound - all tests work.
>>
>> I changed nothing else - sound device is set on Intel ICH5 (Alsa mixer).
>> I've also not tested anything beyond the above, so your results may differ.
>>
>> So, I'd say "have at it"! You can of course reinstall PA (PitA? :-) if
>> you need to + don't forget to do a 'sudo apt-get install--reinstall
>> ubuntu-desktop' just before you do any major upgrade(s).
>>

> So removing pulseaudio did remove ubuntu-desktop, correct? If yes, looks
> like nothing really broke. Also, does reinstalling ubuntu-desktop bring
> back pulseaudio later?

Yes and yes.

Reinstalling gives:

~$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
pulseaudio
Recommended packages:
libasound2-plugins
pulseaudio ubuntu-desktop
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 313kB of archives.
After this operation, 1159kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Also as side note: if you've removed network-manager in favour of wicd,
the install will also remove wicd and replace it with network-manager
and network-manager-gnome.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:17 PM
"H.S."

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/16/2008 09:35 PM, H.S. wrote:
>>>
>> So removing pulseaudio did remove ubuntu-desktop, correct? If yes, looks
>> like nothing really broke. Also, does reinstalling ubuntu-desktop bring
>> back pulseaudio later?
>
> Yes and yes.

Thanks for the confirming.

> Also as side note: if you've removed network-manager in favour of wicd,
> the install will also remove wicd and replace it with network-manager
> and network-manager-gnome.

hmm .. weird, never heard of wicd. This is on Hardy, maybe it doesn't exist:
$ apt-cache search wicd
$

Regards.

ever having been read.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:51 AM
Sonal Santan

Hello,

You can try the following two steps to /sideline/ pulse audio on 8.10

[1]
Open /etc/pulse/default.pa in an editor. Look for lines similar to the
following two commented out lines:

#load-module module-alsa-sink
#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0

Add the following two lines after these two lines:

load-module module-alsa-sink device=dmix
load-module module-alsa-source device=dsnoop

The above change will force PA to use dmix/dsnoop and not take exclusive
control of sound hardware.

[2]
Open /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf in an editor. Comment out the line which
says /usr/share/alsa/pulse.conf by inserting a # in the beginning. After
the change, the @hooks section would look something like the following.

@hooks [
{
func load
files [
# "/usr/share/alsa/pulse.conf"
"/usr/share/alsa/bluetooth.conf"
"/etc/asound.conf"
"~/.asoundrc"
]
errors false
}
]

This will prevent PA from presenting itself as default output/input for
all sound applications. Hence the other applications can continue to use
ALSA as if there is no PA.

The above two changes fix all PA nuisance and all my sound applications
work fine. You will need to select ALSA as sound device in
System->Preferences->Sound. With these changes PA is rendered useless
but it continues to run though nobody would use it. It doesn't consume
any system resources. I still do not know what needs to be changed so
that PA is not even started.

Sonal

Old 12-18-2008, 02:47 PM
"H.S."

Sonal Santan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You can try the following two steps to /sideline/ pulse audio on 8.10
>
> [1]
> Open /etc/pulse/default.pa in an editor. Look for lines similar to the
> following two commented out lines:
>
> #load-module module-alsa-sink
> #load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
>
> Add the following two lines after these two lines:
>
> load-module module-alsa-sink device=dmix
> load-module module-alsa-source device=dsnoop
>
> The above change will force PA to use dmix/dsnoop and not take exclusive
> control of sound hardware.
>
> [2]
> Open /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf in an editor. Comment out the line which
> says /usr/share/alsa/pulse.conf by inserting a # in the beginning. After
> the change, the @hooks section would look something like the following.
>
> @hooks [
> {
> func load
> files [
> # "/usr/share/alsa/pulse.conf"
> "/usr/share/alsa/bluetooth.conf"
> "/etc/asound.conf"
> "~/.asoundrc"
> ]
> errors false
> }
> ]
>
> This will prevent PA from presenting itself as default output/input for
> all sound applications. Hence the other applications can continue to use
> ALSA as if there is no PA.
>
> The above two changes fix all PA nuisance and all my sound applications
> work fine. You will need to select ALSA as sound device in
> System->Preferences->Sound. With these changes PA is rendered useless
> but it continues to run though nobody would use it. It doesn't consume
> any system resources. I still do not know what needs to be changed so
> that PA is not even started.
>
> Sonal

Interesting. I will give this a shot. Though I note that doing the above
stuff to pulseaudio would still require a user's intervention to change
everything in Preferences->Sound to Alsa. I find this uncomfortable in
the sense that Ubuntu is supposed to be user friendly. Just choosing
"Default" should work when pulseaudio is deactivated. Again, all these
kludges just make Ubuntu the same as Debian. Debian is my default OS but
I always push Ubuntu for novice users who want to try Linux trumpeting
its easy of use.

BTW, when pulse audio is running, is alsamixer (the console level
controls) supposed to work? In a laptop running Intrepid, it works, but
on a computer running Hardy it doesn't. On the hardy machine, I get
something like this:
$> alsamixer
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: Connection refused

So how does alsamixer related to pulseaudio?

Thanks.

ever having been read.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:05 PM
"H.S."

H.S. wrote:

> BTW, when pulse audio is running, is alsamixer (the console level
> controls) supposed to work? In a laptop running Intrepid, it works, but
> on a computer running Hardy it doesn't. On the hardy machine, I get
> something like this:
> $> alsamixer
> *** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
>
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: Connection refused
>

> So how does alsamixer related to pulseaudio?
>
> Thanks.

On that hardy machine, the exact message I get is this:
~$ alsamixer
ALSA lib control.c:874snd_ctl_open_conf) Cannot open shared library
/usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_pulse.so

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
directory

What gives?

ever having been read.