Old 12-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Robert Holtzman

Default Running Newly Installed Programs?

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008, Brian McKee wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 3:09 PM, W. D. Allen <ballensr@roadrunner.com> wrote:
>> This from a Ubuntu Newbie...
>>
>> After downloading and installing a program, such as RealBasic among
>> others, as I browse the folder I can not determine which file I click to
>> run the program. How do I determine the file in any program folder to
>> start a program running, i.e., the ".exe" file? Also, how do I make a
>> desktop icon for that file?
>>
>> As I said - a Ubuntu newbie.

.............snip...........

> As far as RealBasic goes - It's option two so to speak - they offer an
> Ubuntu .deb file at
> <http://realsoftware.cachefly.net/REALbasic2008r51/REALbasic2008r51.deb>
> Just double click it to install it.

The OP said that he already installed it. He just couldn't figure out
how to run it.

--
Bob Holtzman
To enjoy life take big bites. Moderation is for monks.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008, W. D. Allen wrote:

> This from a Ubuntu Newbie...
>
> After downloading and installing a program, such as RealBasic among
> others, as I browse the folder I can not determine which file I click to
> run the program. How do I determine the file in any program folder to
> start a program running, i.e., the ".exe" file? Also, how do I make a
> desktop icon for that file?

Did you look in the Applications drop down menu? If it's not there:

First try opening a terminal and typing realbasic to see what happens.

If no result:

In the top panel try Places -> Search for files -> look in "file system"
then type realbasic in the "name contains" box and look for a file
containing "bin" or "sbin" in the results. Type that file name in the
terminal and you should have it.

As far as a desktop icon, do some research.

--
Bob Holtzman
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

Old 12-17-2008, 04:39 AM
Matthew Flaschen

W. D. Allen wrote:
> This from a Ubuntu Newbie...
>
> After downloading and installing a program, such as RealBasic among
> others, as I browse the folder I can not determine which file I click to
> run the program. How do I determine the file in any program folder to
> start a program running, i.e., the ".exe" file? Also, how do I make a
> desktop icon for that file?

Linux executables do not have a file extension. They are set as
executable, however. You can see which files are executable using
nautilus or the shell.

You can also check which files the package installs using:

dpkg -L packageName

where package name is the DEB package you're interested in.

I downloaded REALBasic from http://www.realsoftware.com/ to check for
you. It looks like the main executable is:

/opt/REALSoftware/REALbasic2008r5.1/REALbasic2008

Matt Flaschen

Old 12-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Don Jungk

On Tuesday December 16 2008 2:09 pm, W. D. Allen wrote:
> This from a Ubuntu Newbie...
>
> After downloading and installing a program, such as RealBasic among
> others, as I browse the folder I can not determine which file I click to
> run the program. How do I determine the file in any program folder to
> start a program running, i.e., the ".exe" file? Also, how do I make a
> desktop icon for that file?
> As I said - a Ubuntu newbie.
> Thanks,
> W. D. Allen

If you haven't gotten an answer yet, The REALBasic executible is probably
named REALbasic2008. I'm using Mepis, which is "built" on Ubuntu and uses the
KDE desktop, and I have a "file type" column in the directory windows. For my
copy of REALBasic, the file type is "executible file". I think this is true
of all executibles.

Don