Old 12-16-2008, 07:09 PM
"W. D. Allen"

Default Running Newly Installed Programs?

This from a Ubuntu Newbie...

After downloading and installing a program, such as RealBasic among
others, as I browse the folder I can not determine which file I click to
run the program. How do I determine the file in any program folder to
start a program running, i.e., the ".exe" file? Also, how do I make a
desktop icon for that file?

As I said - a Ubuntu newbie.

Thanks,

W. D. Allen
ballensr@roadrunner.com

end

Old 12-16-2008, 07:32 PM
"Haneef Bashir"

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:09 AM, W. D. Allen <ballensr@roadrunner.com> wrote:

> This from a Ubuntu Newbie...
>
> After downloading and installing a program, such as RealBasic among
> others, as I browse the folder I can not determine which file I click to
> run the program. How do I determine the file in any program folder to
> start a program running, i.e., the ".exe" file? Also, how do I make a
> desktop icon for that file?
>
> As I said - a Ubuntu newbie.

if you install a program with the correct file extension ".deb", then
you should have no problems finding it under applications. as for
program with the .exe file extension then those really are made to
work with a windows OS and not linux except using a program like wine
as a medium. as far as desktop icons, im not pretty sure with gnome
(ubuntu) but with kde (kubuntu) i do believe its possible and a simple
task.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:31 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 3:09 PM, W. D. Allen <ballensr@roadrunner.com> wrote:
> This from a Ubuntu Newbie...
>
> After downloading and installing a program, such as RealBasic among
> others, as I browse the folder I can not determine which file I click to
> run the program. How do I determine the file in any program folder to
> start a program running, i.e., the ".exe" file? Also, how do I make a
> desktop icon for that file?
>
> As I said - a Ubuntu newbie.

Generally speaking, if you see a program somewhere you'd like to try,
then open up Synaptic and search for it there (under System ->
Administration -> Synaptic) then use it to download and install it
for you!

That way you get a program that's built for your system - it will
update using the built in update manager, (picture Windows update that
updates EVERYTHING, not just MS products!) it will show up in the
Menus in an appropriate spot, etc etc etc.

You will be surprised how many programs you can install that way - the
list is endless.
That's the preferred way of doing it.

If it's not available in Synaptic, you'll have to see if they provide
a .deb file that's right for your system. Ubuntu uses .deb files, but
you still have to make sure it's for your version. Just like some
programs work in Windows 98 but not XP, many .deb files will be for an
older version of Ubuntu, or Debian, or something else. If they do
provide a .deb that's right for you, just download it and double click
it, and it will install properly.

If neither of those is available, then at your skill level it's best
to ask somebody familiar with the program how to make it work on your
system. There are other options like building from source, or
converting rpm files or what have you that can work, but will be
complicated for a new user to figure out.

For more details and screenshots etc take a look at
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware>

As far as RealBasic goes - It's option two so to speak - they offer an
Ubuntu .deb file at
<http://realsoftware.cachefly.net/REALbasic2008r51/REALbasic2008r51.deb>
Just double click it to install it.

HTH