Old 12-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Keith Clark

Default Printing multiple copies

I have tried to print multiple copies of a document within Firefox and
OO.o but I only get one copy printed no matter how many I select to print.

Any ideas what could be wrong here? (Ubuntu 8.10)

Thanks,

Keith

Old 12-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Naruhiko Ogasawara

Keith,

Could you tell us what printer and driver you used?

--
Naruhiko (Naru) Ogasawara
naruoga@gmail.com

Old 12-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Preston Kutzner

On Dec 16, 2008, at 11:38 AM, Keith Clark wrote:

> I have tried to print multiple copies of a document within Firefox
> and OO.o but I only get one copy printed no matter how many I select
> to print.
>
> Any ideas what could be wrong here? (Ubuntu 8.10)

I've been having the same problem since upgrading. I'm having the
problem both with the HP drivers (LaserJet 4250) as well as my Toshiba
drivers. What I've found that works (and I believe this to be a work-
around, as opposed to a solution) is to make sure "collate" is checked
in the print dialog. If you have that checked, you should get your
multiple copies, even for 1-page documents. I'm not sure what changed
in 8.10, as I never had this problem with previous versions of
Ubuntu. I haven't been able to confirm whether this is a CUPS
problem, or a gnome-print problem.

HTH

Old 12-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Keith Clark

Naruhiko Ogasawara wrote:

Keith,

Could you tell us what printer and driver you used?

Printer is HP LaserJet 2550. Driver is CUPS. (Or whatever Ubuntu uses
default.)

Keith

Old 12-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Keith Clark

Preston Kutzner wrote:

I have tried to print multiple copies of a document within Firefox
and OO.o but I only get one copy printed no matter how many I select
to print.

Any ideas what could be wrong here? (Ubuntu 8.10)

I've been having the same problem since upgrading. I'm having the
problem both with the HP drivers (LaserJet 4250) as well as my Toshiba
drivers. What I've found that works (and I believe this to be a work-
around, as opposed to a solution) is to make sure "collate" is checked
in the print dialog. If you have that checked, you should get your
multiple copies, even for 1-page documents. I'm not sure what changed
in 8.10, as I never had this problem with previous versions of
Ubuntu. I haven't been able to confirm whether this is a CUPS
problem, or a gnome-print problem.

HTH

Perfect. I'll give that a shot!

Thanks,

Keith

Old 12-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Preston Kutzner

On Dec 17, 2008, at 12:47 PM, Keith Clark wrote:

> Preston Kutzner wrote:
>> On Dec 16, 2008, at 11:38 AM, Keith Clark wrote:
>>

>>> I have tried to print multiple copies of a document within
>>> Firefox and OO.o but I only get one copy printed no matter how
>>> many I select to print.
>>>
>>> Any ideas what could be wrong here? (Ubuntu 8.10)
>>>

>> I've been having the same problem since upgrading. I'm having the
>> problem both with the HP drivers (LaserJet 4250) as well as my
>> Toshiba drivers. What I've found that works (and I believe this
>> to be a work- around, as opposed to a solution) is to make sure
>> "collate" is checked in the print dialog. If you have that
>> checked, you should get your multiple copies, even for 1-page
>> documents. I'm not sure what changed in 8.10, as I never had this
>> problem with previous versions of Ubuntu. I haven't been able to
>> confirm whether this is a CUPS problem, or a gnome-print problem.
>>
>> HTH
>>

> Perfect. I'll give that a shot!

As a follow-up; this fix apparently only works with my HP printers.
The Toshiba still doesn't print more than one copy of a document at a
time.

One question for you, does your printer happen to be a network
printer. Are you using IPP printing?

Old 12-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Keith Clark

Preston Kutzner wrote:

[...]

No, this is a local printer.

Keith

Old 12-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Preston Kutzner

On Dec 17, 2008, at 3:34 PM, Keith Clark wrote:
> No, this is a local printer.

Alright, I was just checking to see if the problem was related only to
network printers, as all the printers I use from my machine are
network printers and I'm connected to them via IPP/JetDirect.

I'm thinking filing a bug report might be appropriate if enough people
are experiencing this problem. It's quite annoying not being able to
print multiple copies.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:51 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Preston Kutzner <shizzlecash@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2008, at 3:34 PM, Keith Clark wrote:
>> No, this is a local printer.
>
> Alright, I was just checking to see if the problem was related only to
> network printers, as all the printers I use from my machine are
> network printers and I'm connected to them via IPP/JetDirect.
>
> I'm thinking filing a bug report might be appropriate if enough people
> are experiencing this problem. It's quite annoying not being able to
> print multiple copies.

You could try 'lpr -4 somefile.pdf' in the terminal to check if the
problem is gnome-print or CUPS.
I'd bet it's not gnome-print, but it's an easy thing to try.

Brian

Old 12-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Naruhiko Ogasawara

Keith,

> Printer is HP LaserJet 2550. Driver is CUPS. (Or whatever Ubuntu uses
> default.)

Thanks for your info.
I'm not sure but Ubuntu 8.10 uses new printing path and it might have a
bug, so in some case, job control info might be dropped.
Please take some time to reproduce the problem and report to printing
community.

Thanks,