Old 12-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Chris G

Default Simple sound system testing, is there a utulity to do this?

I want to see if the sound is working OK on my system, is there
anything in ubuntu (well, xubuntu actually) that provides something like
Window's Control Panel "Sounds and Audio Devices" where you can test
and change the various system sounds as well as configure things?

--
Chris Green

Old 12-16-2008, 02:44 PM
"H.S."

Chris G wrote:
> I want to see if the sound is working OK on my system, is there
> anything in ubuntu (well, xubuntu actually) that provides something like
> Window's Control Panel "Sounds and Audio Devices" where you can test
> and change the various system sounds as well as configure things?

The easiest method is perhaps to go to Preferences->Sound and try out
various test buttons and see if you can hears the sounds. You should
also try:
1. Play a movie file.
2. Play a DVD or CD.
3. Play a flash movie in a website.

If all these work, you should be good to do.

Next, if you are pulseaudio, then I guess Pulseaudio Device manager
should do the trick.

But if you are using alsa, you can list the devices using 'aplay -L' and
'aplay -l' commands in a terminal. This will list the devices as cards.

Next, to configure their controls, you can use 'alsamixer' command to
set the levels. 'alsamixer -c n' will allow you to set the levels of
card number n.

If there is another GUI method to do all this, I would be interested too.

Regards.

ever having been read.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 15:33:39 +0000
Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> I want to see if the sound is working OK on my system, is there
> anything in ubuntu (well, xubuntu actually) that provides something
> like Window's Control Panel "Sounds and Audio Devices" where you can
> test and change the various system sounds as well as configure things?

Use Nautilus to go to /usr/share/sounds and click on each one to hear
it.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 12-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Chris G

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 10:44:18AM -0500, H.S. wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
> > I want to see if the sound is working OK on my system, is there
> > anything in ubuntu (well, xubuntu actually) that provides something like
> > Window's Control Panel "Sounds and Audio Devices" where you can test
> > and change the various system sounds as well as configure things?
> >

> The easiest method is perhaps to go to Preferences->Sound and try out

I don't think xubuntu has that. The xubuntu settings manager "Sound"
icon just has boxes for turning inputs on and off.

> various test buttons and see if you can hears the sounds. You should
> also try:
> 1. Play a movie file.
> 2. Play a DVD or CD.
> 3. Play a flash movie in a website.
>
> If all these work, you should be good to do.
>

> Next, if you are pulseaudio, then I guess Pulseaudio Device manager
> should do the trick.
>
> But if you are using alsa, you can list the devices using 'aplay -L' and
> 'aplay -l' commands in a terminal. This will list the devices as cards.
>
> Next, to configure their controls, you can use 'alsamixer' command to
> set the levels. 'alsamixer -c n' will allow you to set the levels of
> card number n.
>
> If there is another GUI method to do all this, I would be interested too.
>
> Regards.
>

> --
>
> Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
> newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
> filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
> ever having been read.

Chris Green

Old 12-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Chris G

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 09:00:36AM -0700, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 15:33:39 +0000
> Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > I want to see if the sound is working OK on my system, is there
> > anything in ubuntu (well, xubuntu actually) that provides something
> > like Window's Control Panel "Sounds and Audio Devices" where you can
> > test and change the various system sounds as well as configure things?
> >

> Use Nautilus to go to /usr/share/sounds and click on each one to hear
> it.

Nautilus, what's that?! :-) I did say xubuntu. However your idea
works fine in xubuntu as well of course, using thunar. Just what I
needed, thank you!

--
Chris Green

Old 12-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 18:10:53 +0000
Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 09:00:36AM -0700, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 15:33:39 +0000
> > Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I want to see if the sound is working OK on my system, is there
> > > anything in ubuntu (well, xubuntu actually) that provides
> > > something like Window's Control Panel "Sounds and Audio Devices"
> > > where you can test and change the various system sounds as well
> > > as configure things?
> > >

> > Use Nautilus to go to /usr/share/sounds and click on each one to
> > hear it.
> >
> Nautilus, what's that?! :-) I did say xubuntu. However your idea
> works fine in xubuntu as well of course, using thunar. Just what I
> needed, thank you!

Sorry, I really meant Thunar, of course. That's what happens when I
multitask! It's okay, though. I just pulled a few more hairs off my
head.

You are welcome.

--
Charlie Kravetz