Old 12-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Albert Charron

Default Ubuntu on a stick

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
I want to put a desktop Ubuntu LiveCD-Rom onto a USB memory
stick. Learned that UNetbootin was a package that will do the trick. So
about 3 weeks ago I d/l this package. When I ran it this morning, after
making it an exicutable file, it complained of not finding mtools and
p7zip so I used apt-get install and loaded both packages. They loaded
just fine.

Then put a 1 GB stick in the computer and ran UNetbootin from a
Termainal. Since I have a .iso file for Hardy on my computer I used that
and in just a few minutes I have the whole thing on the stick. It boots
fine.

Karl

And again, what was the technical question???

Old 12-16-2008, 01:59 PM
David Vincent

Old 12-16-2008, 02:39 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

David Vincent wrote:

And you are a rude and total ass. You assume if I ask no question
the email is worthless. To you I ask? Are you so smart the use of a USB
memory stick to load Ubuntu is trivial?

Also your PGP thing is wrong.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Neil Cherry

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> David Vincent wrote:

> Karl is like Grandpa Simpson.
>
> Often nonsensical, usually rambling, occasionally he gets it right.
>
> One trick of his is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the
> time he caught the ferry to Shelbyville. He needed a new heel for his
> shoe. So he decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called
> Shelbyville in those days. So he tied an onion to his belt. Which was
> the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in
> those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Gimme five bees
> for a quarter, you'd say. Now where was I... oh yeah. The important
> thing was that he had an onion tied to his belt, which was the style at
> the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only
> thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
>
> -d
>>

> And you are a rude and total ass. You assume if I ask no question
> the email is worthless. To you I ask? Are you so smart the use of a USB
> memory stick to load Ubuntu is trivial?

Karl, everything in its place! Others have told you put it in a blog
yet you care not to listen. So suffer the slings and arrows.

> Also your PGP thing is wrong.

Pot meet kettle :

gpg command line and output:,/usr/bin/gpg --charset utf8 --batch --no-tty
--status-fd 2 -d,gpg: invalid armor header: >
,gpg: invalid armor header: >

Now I may just have something wrong on my end but this is what Thunderbird
tells me.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@linuxha.com
http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site

Old 12-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 08:39:00 -0700
"Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> David Vincent wrote:
> >

> And you are a rude and total ass. You assume if I ask no question
> the email is worthless. To you I ask? Are you so smart the use of a
> USB memory stick to load Ubuntu is trivial?
>
> Also your PGP thing is wrong.
>
> Karl

I would say that if you are NOT asking a question, why are you posting,
since you jump all over those who post but do NOT ask questions.

It seems more and more like you, Karl, are complaining about the very
thing you are doing.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 12-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Albert Charron

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

Albert Charron wrote:

And again, what was the technical question???

<snip>You assume if I ask no question
the email is worthless. To you I ask? Are you so smart the use of a USB
memory stick to load Ubuntu is trivial?

Karl

Maybe it's not trivial... But if I want to do it, I search on Google and
find information on how to do it on blogs... Please, read again and
again and read once more the subject of this mailing list: "Ubuntu user
technical support, not for general discussions". Your original post Karl
would have been ok on the list IF someone have asked the question on how
to do it... Lately, you've become a real spammer to this list... Because
of all that spam you send, people will start to ignore you and one day,
you'll ask a valid question to the list, but nobody will answer...
you'll be in everyone's killfile...

I agree with you on one point, it's good to share the knowledge and the
experiences with various configurations and products. But this mailing
list isn't the proper medium for that...

Old 12-16-2008, 05:50 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Albert Charron wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:

snip

I can't solve this problem. Since you all are experts this simple
problem should cause no problem. I did Google it too.

I have the software working well if the software your loading to the
USB memory stick is on your hard drive or your willing to wait several
hours for the software to d/l the desired software package from the
Ubuntu server it works.

My QUESTION is: How do you put the software on a cd-rom on the USB
stick? I have tried /media/cdrom0 and even got it to put one folder on
the stick. But can find no way to put the entire LiveCD-Rom on the
stick. Do you need to strip it off the CD to your hard drive?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Neil Cherry

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Albert Charron wrote:

> snip
>
> I can't solve this problem. Since you all are experts this simple
> problem should cause no problem. I did Google it too.
>
> I have the software working well if the software your loading to the
> USB memory stick is on your hard drive or your willing to wait several
> hours for the software to d/l the desired software package from the
> Ubuntu server it works.
>
> My QUESTION is: How do you put the software on a cd-rom on the USB
> stick? I have tried /media/cdrom0 and even got it to put one folder on
> the stick. But can find no way to put the entire LiveCD-Rom on the
> stick. Do you need to strip it off the CD to your hard drive?

Ah, a question!

The short of it (lacks exact details, I can post them to the list
but I'm hoping this is enough):

Here's what I did, I downloaded the ISO image to my PC (I'm guessing
you can let Unetbootin do this for you), then using Unetbootin told it
to install the image onto my preformatted USB stick (2G). You then
need to unmount the stick. Set the boot flag using fdisk or parted.

I was then able to create a bootable USB stick. Oh you don't need to
reboot when Unetbootin asks if you are using the stick on another
machine.

Now having said that, I can't get use the stick to load Ubuntu (Server)
on a second machine. There is a problem in that the image doesn't have
the ext2 or ext3 drives, it does have vfat and ISO. When I tried to
load using vfat I found that because of a few links parts of the image
didn't copy. Once I fixed that I found that there is a restricted driver
that doesn't work (grr). I'll work on this as it could be a bad image
or something else.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:41 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Neil Cherry wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> Albert Charron wrote:

>> snip
>>
>> I can't solve this problem. Since you all are experts this simple
>> problem should cause no problem. I did Google it too.
>>
>> I have the software working well if the software your loading to the
>> USB memory stick is on your hard drive or your willing to wait several
>> hours for the software to d/l the desired software package from the
>> Ubuntu server it works.
>>
>> My QUESTION is: How do you put the software on a cd-rom on the USB
>> stick? I have tried /media/cdrom0 and even got it to put one folder on
>> the stick. But can find no way to put the entire LiveCD-Rom on the
>> stick. Do you need to strip it off the CD to your hard drive?
>>

> Ah, a question!
>
> The short of it (lacks exact details, I can post them to the list
> but I'm hoping this is enough):
>
> Here's what I did, I downloaded the ISO image to my PC (I'm guessing
> you can let Unetbootin do this for you), then using Unetbootin told it
> to install the image onto my preformatted USB stick (2G). You then
> need to unmount the stick. Set the boot flag using fdisk or parted.
>
> I was then able to create a bootable USB stick. Oh you don't need to
> reboot when Unetbootin asks if you are using the stick on another
> machine.
>
> Now having said that, I can't get use the stick to load Ubuntu (Server)
> on a second machine. There is a problem in that the image doesn't have
> the ext2 or ext3 drives, it does have vfat and ISO. When I tried to
> load using vfat I found that because of a few links parts of the image
> didn't copy. Once I fixed that I found that there is a restricted driver
> that doesn't work (grr). I'll work on this as it could be a bad image
> or something else.

Well the info you send says I need to take the .iso image off of the
CD-Rom it is on and put it on the hard drive. Is this correct? All the
Google things are in another language.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 11:08 -0500, Albert Charron wrote:
> Because
> of all that spam you send, people will start to ignore you

Oh if I only could but alas, other people still insist on replying.