Old 12-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Knapp

Default Apach2 monitor?

I am running a small home server for my web page. Is there some software that can tell what file(s) Apache is currently sending out and to whom, how fast etc? Also past info about this subject?
--
Douglas E Knapp

Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=a s2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FF E

Old 12-16-2008, 03:56 PM
"Preston Hagar"

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 2:30 AM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running a small home server for my web page. Is there some software
> that can tell what file(s) Apache is currently sending out and to whom, how
> fast etc? Also past info about this subject?
>
> --
> Douglas E Knapp

Depending on how you have Apache setup and exactly what you want to
do, you could just

tail -f /etc/apache/access_log

(you may have to change that to where your access_log is configured)

That will at least tell you who (what IP) is getting what file. To
get "how fast" you might need to do a custom log. For example, the
access log config section on the Apache 2.2.6 server I run looks
something like this:

LogFormat "%h %l %u %t "%r" %>s %b "%{Referer}i"
"%{User-agent}i" %{VLOG}e" combined
CustomLog "/var/log/apache/access_log" combined env=VLOG

To get "Time taken to serve request, in seconds", you could add a %T
to the LogFormat line. Below is a link to all the directives. You
never stated if you use Apache 1.3 or 2.0+, so I put in a link to
each.

(Apache 1.3)
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/mod_log_config.html

(Apache 2.2)
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_log_config.html

This is a very quick and dirty way to start looking for "real time"
data. If you are just looking for something specific, say one page
being served, or one ip requesting, you could append a | grep <ip or
page name> to the tail command above and it should be useful. If you
want compiled statistics, you might want to look into something like
AWstats. The downside is that it won't be realtime and I am not sure
if it "understands" the time to serve request parameter, but it does
make pretty graphs of everything else (it is what I use and the
LogFormat above is the one I use for it).

As far as real time monitors go, I am not aware of one, but it
wouldn't surprise me if there is something out there. Hopefully this
might at least get you looking down the right path.

Preston

Old 12-16-2008, 03:59 PM
"Preston Hagar"

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Preston Hagar <prestonh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Depending on how you have Apache setup and exactly what you want to
> do, you could just
>
> tail -f /etc/apache/access_log
>
> (you may have to change that to where your access_log is configured)

Quick followup to my own email, the tail line above is wrong for my
own config (oops.) It should be:

tail -f /var/log/apache/access_log

That, I think, is the "more standard" place for the apache access
logs, but again yours may be somewhere else depending on your config.

Preston