Old 12-16-2008, 07:25 AM
dwain

Default openoffice menus show as lines and dialog boxes are blank

both the ubuntu 2.4 version and the package that i downloaded and installed from openoffice.org (v 3.0.0) give me lines for menu titles and when i drop them down i get lines or maybe an icon in a blank box.* the font box is blank as well.* all of my dialogue boxes are blank with lines or maybe an icon.* buttons have lines too.

if this subject has been discussed before and fixed would someone point me to the link that gives the fix to the problem?

cheers,
dwain
--
"Fear of the devil is one way of doubting God. *" - Kahlil Gibran

Old 12-16-2008, 05:48 PM
NoOp

On 12/16/2008 12:25 AM, dwain wrote:
> both the ubuntu 2.4 version and the package that i downloaded and installed
> from openoffice.org (v 3.0.0) give me lines for menu titles and when i drop
> them down i get lines or maybe an icon in a blank box. the font box is
> blank as well. all of my dialogue boxes are blank with lines or maybe an
> icon. buttons have lines too.
>
> if this subject has been discussed before and fixed would someone point me
> to the link that gives the fix to the problem?
>
> cheers,
> dwain

Close OOo. From a terminal:

mv ~/.openoffice.org ~/.openoffice.org.back
mv ~/.openoffice.org2 ~/.openoffice.org2.back

Restart OOo. Does it work now?

I would also recommend that you reinstall your 2.4.1 version - you can
run 2.4.1 _and_ 3.0 in parallel, that's why you have 2 .openoffice.x
folders.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:18 AM
dwain

mv ~/.openoffice.org ~/.openoffice.org.back

mv ~/.openoffice.org2 ~/.openoffice.org2.back

Restart OOo. Does it work now?

I would also recommend that you reinstall your 2.4.1 version - you can

run 2.4.1 _and_ 3.0 in parallel, that's why you have 2 .openoffice.x

folders.

i ended up downloading a new copy of 8.10 from a different mirror and installed it.* i had menus when i opened oo.org

thanks for all the help.* i'll keep this email with the instructions of rolling back oo.org.

cheers,
dwain
--
"Fear of the devil is one way of doubting God. *" - Kahlil Gibran

Old 12-17-2008, 12:56 AM
NoOp

On 12/16/2008 05:18 PM, dwain wrote:
> From: NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>
> Date: Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 12:48 PM
> Subject: Re: openoffice menus show as lines and dialog boxes are blank
> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> Close OOo. From a terminal:
>
> mv ~/.openoffice.org ~/.openoffice.org.back
> mv ~/.openoffice.org2 ~/.openoffice.org2.back
>
> Restart OOo. Does it work now?
>
> I would also recommend that you reinstall your 2.4.1 version - you can
> run 2.4.1 _and_ 3.0 in parallel, that's why you have 2 .openoffice.x
> folders.
>
> i ended up downloading a new copy of 8.10 from a different mirror and
> installed it. i had menus when i opened oo.org
>
> thanks for all the help. i'll keep this email with the instructions of
> rolling back oo.org.
>
> cheers,
> dwain

Please keep your responses to the same threads & please post in plain
test. Also please review
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailinglists/etiquette
If you need help with any of that I/we will be happy to assist.

Regarding reinstalling 8.10 just to resolve the OOo issue wasn't
necessary. The instructions that I gave to you only moved your
.openoffice.x profiles to a backup. Once you restarted OOo again, OOo
would have rebuilt a new profile & I'm willing to bet that your menus
would have been just fine afterwards.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:31 PM
dwain

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 7:56 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Regarding reinstalling 8.10 just to resolve the OOo issue wasn't
> necessary. The instructions that I gave to you only moved your
> .openoffice.x profiles to a backup. Once you restarted OOo again, OOo
> would have rebuilt a new profile & I'm willing to bet that your menus
> would have been just fine afterwards.

actually after i installed base, i had the same problem with the menus
again. i did as you suggested and still nothing. the only thing i
didn't do is stop ooo in a terminal, because i don't know how.

so i'm back to square one again with a complete reinstallation of 8.10
not an option.

any other suggestions?

cheers,
dwain

--
"Fear of the devil is one way of doubting God. " - Kahlil Gibran

Old 12-18-2008, 01:18 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

On Wed, 12/17/08, dwain <dwain.alford@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: dwain <dwain.alford@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: openoffice menus show as lines and dialog boxes are blank [SOLVED]
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 6:31 PM
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 7:56 PM, NoOp
> <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Regarding reinstalling 8.10 just to resolve the OOo
> issue wasn't
> > necessary. The instructions that I gave to you only
> moved your
> > .openoffice.x profiles to a backup. Once you restarted
> OOo again, OOo
> > would have rebuilt a new profile & I'm willing
> to bet that your menus
> > would have been just fine afterwards.
>
> actually after i installed base, i had the same problem
> with the menus
> again. i did as you suggested and still nothing. the only
> thing i
> didn't do is stop ooo in a terminal, because i
> don't know how.

Type CTRL-C in the terminal. As you are looking at the terminal that is.

> so i'm back to square one again with a complete
> reinstallation of 8.10
> not an option.
>
> any other suggestions?
>
> cheers,
> dwain

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-18-2008, 01:23 AM
NoOp

On 12/17/2008 04:31 PM, dwain wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 7:56 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Regarding reinstalling 8.10 just to resolve the OOo issue wasn't
>> necessary. The instructions that I gave to you only moved your
>> .openoffice.x profiles to a backup. Once you restarted OOo again, OOo
>> would have rebuilt a new profile & I'm willing to bet that your menus
>> would have been just fine afterwards.
>
> actually after i installed base, i had the same problem with the menus
> again. i did as you suggested and still nothing. the only thing i
> didn't do is stop ooo in a terminal, because i don't know how.
>
> so i'm back to square one again with a complete reinstallation of 8.10
> not an option.
>
> any other suggestions?

So this only happened after you installed OOo Base (using standard
Ubuntu OOo)? Have you set your java? Base requires java. What do you see
when you select Tools|Options|Open...|Java?

I'd recommend, opening a terminal (you can do this from Synaptic, but
this is faster) Applications|Accessories|Terminal and then cut & paste
the following commands in one at a time (press enter after each one):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install sun-j2re1.6
mv -R ~/.openoffice.org ~/.openoffice.org
sudo apt-get install --reinstall openoffice.org

The last one will pull in OOo Base so there is no need to install
separately. The sun-j2rel.6 will pull in Java, and you will be prompted
to accept the agreement, just keep pressing page down until you get to
the y/n part and enter y and then enter key.

After you do all of that, restart OOo from the menu
(Applications|Office). See if that gives you menu's w/icons back. Then
go to Tools|Options|Open...|Java and when it finally shows the Sun java,
click that and then OK.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:47 AM
dwain

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 8:23 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> So this only happened after you installed OOo Base (using standard
> Ubuntu OOo)? Have you set your java? Base requires java. What do you see
> when you select Tools|Options|Open...|Java?
>
> I'd recommend, opening a terminal (you can do this from Synaptic, but
> this is faster) Applications|Accessories|Terminal and then cut & paste
> the following commands in one at a time (press enter after each one):
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get upgrade
> sudo apt-get install sun-j2re1.6
> mv -R ~/.openoffice.org ~/.openoffice.org
> sudo apt-get install --reinstall openoffice.org
>
> The last one will pull in OOo Base so there is no need to install
> separately. The sun-j2rel.6 will pull in Java, and you will be prompted
> to accept the agreement, just keep pressing page down until you get to
> the y/n part and enter y and then enter key.
>
> After you do all of that, restart OOo from the menu
> (Applications|Office). See if that gives you menu's w/icons back. Then
> go to Tools|Options|Open...|Java and when it finally shows the Sun java,
> click that and then OK.

i did like you wrote, but apt-get couldn't find the sun package. i
then proceeded with synaptics. i installed java jre6 and then went
back to the terminal and reinstalled ooo and i still get lines instead
of text for the menu items, blank spaces in the drop down menus and
large blanks when i open options.

i guess that all i'l be able to do is surf the internet, which is the
primary use of this box anyway.

cheers,
dwain

--
"Fear of the devil is one way of doubting God. " - Kahlil Gibran

Old 12-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

Just to call attention on what may be an oversight here.
if this command was run as shown below it didn't have the
desired effect:
mv -R ~/.openoffice.org ~/.openoffice.org copied from below.

so, I don't think dwain actually removed oo.o and had it
regenerated and may explain why no joy. Just tack a .old
on the end of the command and redo everything and perhaps
some success will come out of it. HTH.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-25-2008, 07:27 AM
dwain

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 1:58 AM, Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Just to call attention on what may be an oversight here.

if this command was run as shown below it didn't have the

desired effect:

*mv -R ~/.openoffice.org ~/.openoffice.org *copied from below.

so, I don't think dwain actually removed oo.o and had it

regenerated and may explain why no joy. Just tack a .old

on the end of the command and redo everything and perhaps

some success will come out of it. *HTH.

this time i solved it.* it was the proprietary nvidia driver.* remove the driver and i get my menus back.

cheers,
dwain

--
"Fear of the devil is one way of doubting God. *" - Kahlil Gibran