Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 AM
L Paz

Default Install problems with Partition Window

A couple of day's ago, I tried updating my system from ubuntu 7.10 to ubuntu 8.04. Now when I boot I get a shell prompt that syas this:

******* Starting Up....
check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
or missing modules, devices! cat /proc/modules ls /dev

ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/586255b2-73b6-4830-89aa-630e0727fe07 does not exist, Dropping to a Shell!

BusyBox v 1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in Shell (ash)

Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.

(initramfs)_

If I go into GRUB and pick the second choice, the system boots up ok and I can log in.
the first choice is this:
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-22-generic root=UUID=586255b2-73b6-483c-89aa-630e0727fe07 ro quiet splash

the second choice is this:
kernel
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-16-generic root=UUID=586255b2-73b6-483c-89aa-630e0727fe07 ro quiet splash

So I thought I would try to reinstall Ubuntu 8.04 , so I downloaded the ubuntu 8.04 distro from www.ubuntu.com, and I pick the second line that says Install Ubuntu., but when I get to step 4 out of 7, the partition window is blank----I can't choose my hard drive or create any partition's as the window does not have any entry's in it---it's just blank. It acts as though my hard drive is not there, or for soem reason it does recognize it.

So, how do I either fix the boot error from the BusyBox initramfs prompt , or how can I format or partition my disk so thati I can install ubuntu?

Sorry for the length of this, but I wasn't sure what information might be pertinent or not.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 17:11:13 -0800 (PST)
L Paz <lpaz1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> A couple of day's ago, I tried updating my system from ubuntu 7.10 to
> ubuntu 8.04. Now when I boot I get a shell prompt that syas this:
>
> ******* Starting Up....
> check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
> or missing modules, devices! cat /proc/modules ls /dev
>
> ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/586255b2-73b6-4830-89aa-630e0727fe07 does
> not exist, Dropping to a Shell!
>
> BusyBox v 1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in Shell (ash)
>
> Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.
>
> (initramfs)_
>
> If I go into GRUB and pick the second choice, the system boots up ok
> and I can log in. the first choice is this:
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-22-generic
> root=UUID=586255b2-73b6-483c-89aa-630e0727fe07 ro quiet splash
>
> the second choice is this:
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-16-generic
> root=UUID=586255b2-73b6-483c-89aa-630e0727fe07 ro quiet splash
>
> So I thought I would try to reinstall Ubuntu 8.04 , so I downloaded
> the ubuntu 8.04 distro from www.ubuntu.com, and I pick the second
> line that says Install Ubuntu., but when I get to step 4 out of 7,
> the partition window is blank----I can't choose my hard drive or
> create any partition's as the window does not have any entry's in
> it---it's just blank. It acts as though my hard drive is not there,
> or for soem reason it does recognize it.
>
> So, how do I either fix the boot error from the BusyBox initramfs
> prompt , or how can I format or partition my disk so thati I can
> install ubuntu?
>
> Sorry for the length of this, but I wasn't sure what information
> might be pertinent or not.

My experience is that the alternate cd works. The live cd for 8.04.1
works sometimes. Consider downloadin the alternate installer cd. You
can get it from:

for 32-bit system -
http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs/8.04.1/ubuntu-8.04.1-alternate-i386.iso

for 64-bit system -
http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs/8.04.1/ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso

Both of those should be good for your location.

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 12-16-2008, 12:56 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

L Paz wrote:
> A couple of day's ago, I tried updating my system from ubuntu 7.10 to ubuntu 8.04. Now when I boot I get a shell prompt that syas this:
>
> Starting Up....
> check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
> or missing modules, devices! cat /proc/modules ls /dev
>
> ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/586255b2-73b6-4830-89aa-630e0727fe07 does not exist, Dropping to a Shell!
>
> BusyBox v 1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in Shell (ash)
>
> Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.
>
> (initramfs)_
>
> If I go into GRUB and pick the second choice, the system boots up ok and I can log in.
> the first choice is this:
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-22-generic root=UUID=586255b2-73b6-483c-89aa-630e0727fe07 ro quiet splash
>
> the second choice is this:
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-16-generic root=UUID=586255b2-73b6-483c-89aa-630e0727fe07 ro quiet splash
>
> So I thought I would try to reinstall Ubuntu 8.04 , so I downloaded the ubuntu 8.04 distro from www.ubuntu.com, and I pick the second line that says Install Ubuntu., but when I get to step 4 out of 7, the partition window is blank----I can't choose my hard drive or create any partition's as the window does not have any entry's in it---it's just blank. It acts as though my hard drive is not there, or for soem reason it does recognize it.
>
> So, how do I either fix the boot error from the BusyBox initramfs prompt , or how can I format or partition my disk so thati I can install ubuntu?
>
> Sorry for the length of this, but I wasn't sure what information might be pertinent or not.

You never asked a question. You gave us a pile of disconnected words
and asked if it is pertinent. It is not! I think you tried to upgrade a
Ubuntu 7.10 to a 8.04 and are having trouble. This has been the norm
when upgrading that many versions.

Now tell us what happened AFTER you got 8.04 all installed.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-16-2008, 01:07 AM
L Paz

Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.

Persistence is necessary for Excellence, and Persistence is a Decision.

> A couple of day's ago, I tried updating my system from ubuntu 7.10 to
ubuntu 8.04. Now when I boot I get a shell prompt that syas this:

> Starting Up....
> check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
> or missing modules, devices! cat /proc/modules ls /dev
>
> ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/586255b2-73b6-4830-89aa-630e0727fe07
does not
exist, Dropping to a Shell!

> BusyBox v 1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in Shell (ash)
>
> Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.
>
> (initramfs)_
>
> If I go into GRUB and pick the second choice, the system boots up ok and I
can log in.
> the first choice is this:
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-22-generic
root=UUID=586255b2-73b6-483c-89aa-630e0727fe07 ro quiet splash

> the second choice is this:
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-16-generic
root=UUID=586255b2-73b6-483c-89aa-630e0727fe07 ro quiet splash

> So I thought I would try to reinstall Ubuntu 8.04 , so I downloaded the
ubuntu 8.04 distro from www.ubuntu.com, and I pick the second line that says
Install Ubuntu., but when I get to step 4 out of 7, the partition window is
blank----I can't choose my hard drive or create any partition's as the
window does not have
any entry's in it---it's just blank. It acts as
though my hard drive is not there, or for soem reason it does recognize it.

> So, how do I either fix the boot error from the BusyBox initramfs prompt ,
or how can I format or partition my disk so thati I can install ubuntu?

> Sorry for the length of this, but I wasn't sure what information might
be pertinent or not.

You never asked a question. You gave us a pile of disconnected words
and asked if it is pertinent. It is not! I think you tried to upgrade a
Ubuntu 7.10 to a 8.04 and are having trouble. This has been the norm
when upgrading that many versions.

Now tell us what happened AFTER you got 8.04 all installed.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C
ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

Ok, I am having two separate problems. The first problem is that my system will not boot
properly after I tried the upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04. When it boots, it gets the message at the
top of my post about the BusyBox shell, and I get an initramfs prompt.

So, to try to fix this, I thought I would install 8.04 from the CD, as the upgrade obviously did not work
for me. Now this is when I ahve the 2nd problem. When I attempt to install from the CD, I get
to step 4 out of 7---the Partition Window, but it is blank.

So, I need to either fix problem #1, that happened after the upgrade, wherein I get the BusyBox shell prompt, or I
need to fix problem # 2, which would be the hard drive or no partitions showing up in the partition Manager
Window on Step 4 of 7 when I try to do the Install from the CD.

so to answer your question, as near as I can tell, I don't have 8.04 installed or

running successfully

Old 12-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:56:07 -0700
"Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> L Paz wrote:
> > A couple of day's ago, I tried updating my system from ubuntu 7.10
> > to ubuntu 8.04. Now when I boot I get a shell prompt that syas this:
> >
> > Starting Up....
> > check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
> > or missing modules, devices! cat /proc/modules ls /dev
> >
> > ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/586255b2-73b6-4830-89aa-630e0727fe07 does
> > not exist, Dropping to a Shell!
> >
> > BusyBox v 1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in Shell (ash)
> >
> > Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.
> >
> > (initramfs)_
> >
> > If I go into GRUB and pick the second choice, the system boots up
> > ok and I can log in. the first choice is this:
> > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-22-generic
> > root=UUID=586255b2-73b6-483c-89aa-630e0727fe07 ro quiet splash
> >
> > the second choice is this:
> > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-16-generic
> > root=UUID=586255b2-73b6-483c-89aa-630e0727fe07 ro quiet splash
> >
> > So I thought I would try to reinstall Ubuntu 8.04 , so I downloaded
> > the ubuntu 8.04 distro from www.ubuntu.com, and I pick the second
> > line that says Install Ubuntu., but when I get to step 4 out of 7,
> > the partition window is blank----I can't choose my hard drive or
> > create any partition's as the window does not have any entry's in
> > it---it's just blank. It acts as though my hard drive is not there,
> > or for soem reason it does recognize it.
> >
> > So, how do I either fix the boot error from the BusyBox initramfs
> > prompt , or how can I format or partition my disk so thati I can
> > install ubuntu?

Karl - I think this is a question ^^^^^^^ right above this.

> > Sorry for the length of this, but I wasn't sure what information
> > might be pertinent or not.
> >

> You never asked a question. You gave us a pile of disconnected
> words and asked if it is pertinent. It is not! I think you tried to
> upgrade a Ubuntu 7.10 to a 8.04 and are having trouble. This has been
> the norm when upgrading that many versions.
>
> Now tell us what happened AFTER you got 8.04 all installed.
>

> Karl

I also think reading this, the OP said "when I get to step 4 out of 7,
the partition window is blank"
That means he could _NOT_ complete the installation.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 12-16-2008, 01:40 AM
L Paz

Message: 4
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:41:58 -0700
From: Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com>
To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

L Paz <lpaz1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> A couple of day's ago, I tried updating my system from ubuntu 7.10 to
> ubuntu 8.04. Now when I boot I get a shell prompt that syas this:
>
> ??????? Starting Up....
> check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
> or missing modules, devices! cat /proc/modules ls /dev
>
> ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/586255b2-73b6-4830-89aa-630e0727fe07 does
> not exist, Dropping to a Shell!
>
> BusyBox v 1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in Shell (ash)
>
> Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.
>
> (initramfs)_
>
> If I go into GRUB and pick the second choice, the system boots up ok
> and I can log in. the first choice is this:
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-22-generic

root=UUID=586255b2-73b6-483c-89aa-630e0727fe07 ro quiet splash

> the second choice is this:
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-16-generic
> root=UUID=586255b2-73b6-483c-89aa-630e0727fe07 ro quiet splash
>
> So I thought I would try to reinstall Ubuntu 8.04 , so I downloaded
> the ubuntu 8.04 distro from www.ubuntu.com, and I pick the second
> line that says Install Ubuntu., but when I get to step 4 out of 7,
> the partition window is blank----I can't choose my hard drive or
> create any partition's as the window does not have any entry's in
> it---it's just blank. It acts as though my hard drive is not there,
> or for soem reason it does recognize it.
>
> So, how do I either fix the boot error from the BusyBox initramfs
> prompt , or how can I format or partition my disk so thati I can
> install ubuntu?
>
> Sorry for the length of this, but I
wasn't sure what information
> might be pertinent or not.

My experience is that the alternate cd works. The live cd for 8.04.1
works sometimes. Consider downloadin the alternate installer cd. You
can get it from:

* ***for 32-bit system -
http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs/8.04.1/ubuntu-8.04.1-alternate-i386.iso

* ***for 64-bit system -
http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs/8.04.1/ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso

Both of those should be good for your location.

Good luck,

Charlie:
Thanks for replying. I am downloading it now and when it's done I'll give it a try.
I'll post back if it
works.
Thanks Again.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:08 AM
Rashkae

L Paz wrote:
> A couple of day's ago, I tried updating my system from ubuntu 7.10 to ubuntu 8.04. Now when I boot I get a shell prompt that syas this:
>
> Starting Up....
> check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
> or missing modules, devices! cat /proc/modules ls /dev
>
> ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/586255b2-73b6-4830-89aa-630e0727fe07 does not exist, Dropping to a Shell!
>
> BusyBox v 1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in Shell (ash)
>
> Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.
>
> (initramfs)_
>
> If I go into GRUB and pick the second choice, the system boots up ok and I can log in.
> the first choice is this:
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-22-generic root=UUID=586255b2-73b6-483c-89aa-630e0727fe07 ro quiet splash
>
> the second choice is this:
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-16-generic root=UUID=586255b2-73b6-483c-89aa-630e0727fe07 ro quiet splash
>
> So I thought I would try to reinstall Ubuntu 8.04 , so I downloaded the ubuntu 8.04 distro from www.ubuntu.com, and I pick the second line that says Install Ubuntu., but when I get to step 4 out of 7, the partition window is blank----I can't choose my hard drive or create any partition's as the window does not have any entry's in it---it's just blank. It acts as though my hard drive is not there, or for soem reason it does recognize it.
>
> So, how do I either fix the boot error from the BusyBox initramfs prompt , or how can I format or partition my disk so thati I can install ubuntu?
>
> Sorry for the length of this, but I wasn't sure what information might be pertinent or not.

Can you please boot from the Ubuntu 8.04 Live CD and see if you can
access your hard drive from there? It looks as though the upgrade
worked, but the new Kernel is simply not compatible with your hardware.

If that's the case, you may be able to boot using the old kernel (as
above) and try apt-get update apt-get upgrade
Without knowing about your hardware, maybe a newer updated kernel will
fix whatever broke.

And is your hard drive SATA? If it is, try going into your BIOS and see
if there's a setting for IDE emulation, and try changing that. If
available, "Native" or "AHCI" would be ideal. (Though caution is
advised when changing this if you have a Windows dual boot system.
There shouldn't be any permanent harm, but Windows may fail to boot
until the settings are restored to their previous state)

Old 12-16-2008, 04:42 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> L Paz wrote:

.............snip.............

>> So, how do I either fix the boot error from the BusyBox initramfs prompt , or how can I format or partition my disk so thati I can install ubuntu?
>>
>> Sorry for the length of this, but I wasn't sure what information might be pertinent or not.
>>

> You never asked a question. You gave us a pile of disconnected words
> and asked if it is pertinent. It is not! I think you tried to upgrade a
> Ubuntu 7.10 to a 8.04 and are having trouble. This has been the norm
> when upgrading that many versions.

Read it again, Karl and if neessary, again. There definitely *was* a
question!

--
Bob Holtzman
A day without fusion is like, a day without sunshine

Old 12-16-2008, 03:40 PM
L Paz

> A couple of day's ago, I tried updating my system from ubuntu 7.10 to
ubuntu 8.04. Now when I boot I get a shell prompt that syas this:

> Starting Up....
> check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
> or missing modules, devices! cat /proc/modules ls /dev
>
> ALERT!
/dev/disk/by-uuid/586255b2-73b6-4830-89aa-630e0727fe07 does not
exist, Dropping to a Shell!

> BusyBox v 1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in Shell (ash)
>
> Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.
>
> (initramfs)_
>
> If I go into GRUB and pick the second choice, the system boots up ok and I
can log in.
> the first choice is this:
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-22-generic
root=UUID=586255b2-73b6-483c-89aa-630e0727fe07 ro quiet splash

> the second choice is this:
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-16-generic
root=UUID=586255b2-73b6-483c-89aa-630e0727fe07 ro quiet splash

> So I thought I would try to reinstall Ubuntu 8.04 , so I downloaded the
ubuntu 8.04 distro from www.ubuntu.com, and I pick the second line that says
Install Ubuntu., but when I get to step 4 out of 7, the partition window is
blank----I can't choose my hard
drive or create any partition's as the
window does not have any entry's in it---it's just blank. It acts as
though my hard drive is not there, or for soem reason it does recognize it.

> So, how do I either fix the boot error from the BusyBox initramfs prompt ,
or how can I format or partition my disk so thati I can install ubuntu?

> Sorry for the length of this, but I wasn't sure what information might
be pertinent or not.

Can you please boot from the Ubuntu 8.04 Live CD and see if you can
access your hard drive from there? It looks as though the upgrade
worked, but the new Kernel is simply not compatible with your hardware.

If that's the case, you may be able to boot using the old kernel (as
above) and try apt-get update apt-get upgrade
Without knowing about your hardware, maybe a newer updated kernel will
fix whatever broke.

And is your hard drive SATA? If it is, try
going into your BIOS and see
if there's a setting for IDE emulation, and try changing that. If
available, "Native" or "AHCI" would be ideal. (Though
caution is
advised when changing this if you have a Windows dual boot system.
There shouldn't be any permanent harm, but Windows may fail to boot
until the settings are restored to their previous state)

Thanks for the message. right now, I am going to try the Alternate CD, that Charlie sugggested, but if that does not work, I will give what you stated here a try.
I have booted into the live CD previously, and my hard drive was not shown on the desktop, and if
go into GParted, it did not show up there either, so I'm not certain
if the upgrade screwed something up, or if there is an incompatability, as you suggest.

My hard drive is IDE, not SATA. And I do not dual boot Windows, os there won't be a problem there.

Thanks for your assistance with
this

Old 12-16-2008, 05:57 PM
L Paz

On with the continuing saga, I guess. I booted up from the Alternate CD, as Charlie suggested, and when I try to install, I get to a screen that says No Disks selected. if you know the driver you need , select it from the following list:

then there, is a long list of drivers to choose from.

So, I guess my question is, if I go into Grub and choose the 2.6.22-16 generic kernel to boot into, is there a command I can use that will tell me what the hard drive driver is that currently is being used?

Thanks again for all your assistance with this!