Old 12-15-2008, 02:33 AM
Florian Diesch

Default using debian sources from ubuntu

tom arnall <kloro2006@gmail.com> wrote:

> some questions on using debian sources for ubuntu intrepid system
>
> is it safe?

No. Debian and Ubuntu are different (but similar)
distributions. Mixing may work for some versions of some packages but
not in general.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 12-15-2008, 02:49 AM
NoOp

On 12/14/2008 06:59 PM, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 16:46 -0800, tom arnall wrote:
>> some questions on using debian sources for ubuntu intrepid system
>>
>> is it safe? i would prefer to do without something
>> than risk dependency problems
>
> In general, it is not safe and will create dependency problems.
>
>> my immediate need is to install kcontrol
>
> See NoOp's reply. And read this
> http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/components

Thanks for adding that :-)

Old 12-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Derek Broughton

tom arnall wrote:

> some questions on using debian sources for ubuntu intrepid system
>
> is it safe? i would prefer to do without something
> than risk dependency problems
>
> if so, should i be using lenny/testing sources only?
>
> my immediate need is to install kcontrol so that i can --
> hopefully -- control the format of times displayed for kalarm
> items. apparently this is not available from the ubuntu intrepid
> sources, since it doesn't appear in the synaptic choices.

You'll get different opinions - particularly from Mario with whom I've
had this disagreement before :-)

In general, it IS safe to install Debian packages - with caveats - but I
wouldn't go permanently adding Debian distros to the sources.list.

Whenever you install from Debian, look at what is going to be installed
or removed, and _don't_ do it if it's going to change anything important
(and "important" includes anything you don't understand). If you use
apt to install, then it's OK if anything new needs to be installed, but
probably not if it wants to downgrade or remove any existing packages.

Generally, apt won't install anything that has already been superceded
by Ubuntu, and I don't see that it matters too much which Debian source
you use.

otoh, listen to Mario :-) There _is_ a potential to screw your system
up.
--
derek

Old 12-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 10:24 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> _don't_ do it if it's going to change anything important
> (and "important" includes anything you don't understand)

I can live with (that as long as OP does not ask me to fix his screwed
dependencies )

To the OP: in any case, always check first whether the package is
available in Ubuntu. The overwhelming majority are there, if you have
the right repos enabled (esp. universe)

Old 12-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Rob

Who is OP?

Old 12-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 16:18 -0500, Rob wrote:
> Who is OP?

the Original Poster.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:49 PM
tom arnall