Old 12-14-2008, 11:46 PM
tom arnall

Default using debian sources from ubuntu

some questions on using debian sources for ubuntu intrepid system

is it safe? i would prefer to do without something
than risk dependency problems

if so, should i be using lenny/testing sources only?

my immediate need is to install kcontrol so that i can --
hopefully -- control the format of times displayed for kalarm
items. apparently this is not available from the ubuntu intrepid
sources, since it doesn't appear in the synaptic choices.

thanks,

tom arnall
arcata

Old 12-15-2008, 01:50 AM
NoOp

On 12/14/2008 04:46 PM, tom arnall wrote:
> some questions on using debian sources for ubuntu intrepid system
>
> is it safe? i would prefer to do without something
> than risk dependency problems
>
> if so, should i be using lenny/testing sources only?
>
> my immediate need is to install kcontrol so that i can --
> hopefully -- control the format of times displayed for kalarm
> items. apparently this is not available from the ubuntu intrepid
> sources, since it doesn't appear in the synaptic choices.
>
> thanks,
>
> tom arnall
> arcata

sudo apt-get install kcontrol

from a terminal should do it. Either that or use Synaptic to install -
it will show in Synaptic if you enable the Universe repositories.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/kcontrol-autostart

From Synaptic:

Settings|Repositories|Ubuntu Software| check 'Community-maintained Open
Source software (universe).

Click 'Close'
Click 'Reload'

Old 12-15-2008, 01:59 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 16:46 -0800, tom arnall wrote:
> some questions on using debian sources for ubuntu intrepid system
>
> is it safe? i would prefer to do without something
> than risk dependency problems

In general, it is not safe and will create dependency problems.

> my immediate need is to install kcontrol

See NoOp's reply. And read this
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/components