Old 12-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Christopher Chan

Default preseed mixed raid and lvm

Hailing all ships:

Does the installer of Ubuntu Hardy support mixed raid and lvm recipes
for preseeding?

/me wants to put /boot on its own raid1 md device and then chuck the
rest of the available disk space of the disks into another raid1 md
device and then use that as the pv of a vg and then carve up that vg
into swap, /, /var and so on.

cheers,

Christopher

Old 12-15-2008, 02:49 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> Hailing all ships:
>
> Does the installer of Ubuntu Hardy support mixed raid and lvm recipes
> for preseeding?

The alternate installer handles LVM and raid, the Live CD does not.
If by preseeding you mean kickstart or similar automated installation
I'll be durned if I know :-)

Brian

Old 12-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Christopher Chan

Brian McKee wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Christopher Chan
> <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>> Hailing all ships:
>>
>> Does the installer of Ubuntu Hardy support mixed raid and lvm recipes
>> for preseeding?
>
> The alternate installer handles LVM and raid, the Live CD does not.
> If by preseeding you mean kickstart or similar automated installation
> I'll be durned if I know :-)

Hello Brian,

Thanks for replying

Sigh. That 'alternate installer' is apparently the debian installer.

Looks I have to check the Debian site for docs...but support for lvm on
raid support is not looking good from posts on the subject that I have
found and from the installations I have done. Assigning a raid1 md0
device /boot (ext3) but then also assigning md1 as a pv for a vg and
then carving that vg up for swap, /, /var, /home left me with lilo as
the only option for a boot loader and the md0 being left out during the
installation. (/boot was made part of the / lv filesystem)

I do not fancy having to patch the debian installer and rolling out my
own initrd. Redhat got this problem licked a long time ago...

Anyway, I will pursue this on the ubuntu-installer list.

Cheers,

Christopher