Old 12-14-2008, 10:36 AM
dwain

Default installing ooo 3.0.0 from debian tar.gz package

i have been learning how to do things like copy and rename directories and files.* now i would like to install ooo 3 from a debian package.* i have it unpacked from the tar.gz, but there are other archives that need to be installed inside the extracted tar.gz package.

the package is in my home folder.* i have been hacking, but getting no where fast.* hacking works when you know what you are doing, which i don't.

would someone be so kind as to show me how to install this package from the command line?

cheers,
dwain

--
"Fear of the devil is one way of doubting God. *" - Kahlil Gibran

Old 12-14-2008, 05:27 PM
NoOp

On 12/14/2008 03:36 AM, dwain wrote:
> i have been learning how to do things like copy and rename directories and
> files. now i would like to install ooo 3 from a debian package. i have it
> unpacked from the tar.gz, but there are other archives that need to be
> installed inside the extracted tar.gz package.
>
> the package is in my home folder. i have been hacking, but getting no where
> fast. hacking works when you know what you are doing, which i don't.
>
> would someone be so kind as to show me how to install this package from the
> command line?
>
> cheers,
> dwain

http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-openoffice-3.0.0-on-ubuntu-8.04
[applies to 8.10 as well]

Looks like you are at this stage:
... and go to the directory that contains all the .deb packages...

When the install is finished, you need to jump ahead to this stage:
2 Creating A Launcher

Note: there are _two_ pages of instructions.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:52 AM
dwain

... and go to the directory that contains all the .deb packages...

When the install is finished, you need to jump ahead to this stage:

2 Creating A Launcher

Note: there are _two_ pages of instructions.

thanks for the info.* i'll see what i can do tomorrow.
cheers,
dwain

--
"Fear of the devil is one way of doubting God. *" - Kahlil Gibran

Old 12-16-2008, 05:25 AM
dwain

... and go to the directory that contains all the .deb packages...

When the install is finished, you need to jump ahead to this stage:

2 Creating A Launcher

Note: there are _two_ pages of instructions.

with 8.10, if you follow the instructions, the "debian-menus" installs launchers, so there is no need to create a launcher.

cheers,
dwain
--
"Fear of the devil is one way of doubting God. *" - Kahlil Gibran

Old 12-16-2008, 06:06 AM
NoOp

On 12/15/2008 10:25 PM, dwain wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 12:27 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Looks like you are at this stage:
>> ... and go to the directory that contains all the .deb packages...
>>
>> When the install is finished, you need to jump ahead to this stage:
>> 2 Creating A Launcher
>>
>> Note: there are _two_ pages of instructions.
>>

> with 8.10, if you follow the instructions, the "debian-menus" installs
> launchers, so there is no need to create a launcher.
>
> cheers,
> dwain

Ummm, no. They will _only_ install if you first _uninstall_ your
existing Ubuntu OOo installation first. I hope that you didn't do that.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:22 AM
dwain

Ummm, no. They will _only_ install if you first _uninstall_ your

existing Ubuntu OOo installation first. I hope that you didn't do that.

yes i did uninstall ooo2.4.* now i have the same problem in 3.0 as i did in 2.4; the meuns are just lines with blank spaces after them and the dialogue boxes are blank.

if this has been discussed before, would someone be so kind as to point me to a link where the fix resides?

cheers,
dwain
--
"Fear of the devil is one way of doubting God. *" - Kahlil Gibran