-   -   Installation Problem - No OS Found (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/211431-installation-problem-no-os-found.html)

"John Williams" 12-10-2008 04:37 AM

Installation Problem - No OS Found

Package:
installation-reports

*

Boot
method: CD-ROM

Image
version: Purchased from OSDISC.com

Date:
Not able to install

*

Machine:
Thinkpad A22m

Processor:
Pentium 3

Memory:
256MB

Partitions:
None

*

Output
of lspci -nn and lspci -vnn: didn’t install this far

*

Base
System Installation Checklist:

[O]
= OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it

*

Initial
boot:********** [ ]

Detect
network card:*** [ ]

Configure
network:***** [ ]

Detect
CD:************* [ ]

Load
installer modules: [ ]

Detect
hard drives:**** [ ]

Partition
hard drives:* [ ]

Install
base system:*** [ ]

Clock/timezone
setup:** [ ]

User/password
setup:*** [ ]

Install
tasks:********* [ ]

Install
boot loader:*** [ ]

Overall
install:******* [ ]

*

Comments/Problems:

*

deleted WinXP completely by formatting the drive using Maxtor software. Now
when I insert the CD and reboot, I get “No OS Found” “Insert
OS setup disk, then press any key”. I followed the instructions about
tweaking the BIOS, etc., but still get the same message.

*

*

John Williams

Voice: 253-826-6754

Fax: 253-321-4326

*

"Steve Flynn" 12-14-2008 02:17 PM

Installation Problem - No OS Found

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 5:37 AM, John Williams
<John.Williams@clarksecurity.net> wrote:

> Boot method: CD-ROM
>
> Image version: Purchased from OSDISC.com

You actually paid for it?

> I deleted WinXP completely by formatting the drive using Maxtor software.
> Now when I insert the CD and reboot, I get "No OS Found" "Insert OS setup
> disk, then press any key". I followed the instructions about tweaking the
> BIOS, etc., but still get the same message.

2 options here...

1. the disk you purchased is bad and doesn't contain a bootable image.
2. You aren't putting the CD-ROM first in the BIOS boot-up devices. So
long as it appears before the hard-drive (which is now blank as you
wiped it) it'll be booted from.

If you put the disc into another machine and look at the files on it,
what do you see?

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

NoOp 12-14-2008 07:36 PM

On 12/09/2008 09:37 PM, John Williams wrote:
> Package: installation-reports
>

> Boot method: CD-ROM
>
> Image version: Purchased from OSDISC.com
[snip]

> I deleted WinXP completely by formatting the drive using Maxtor
> software. Now when I insert the CD and reboot, I get "No OS Found"
> "Insert OS setup disk, then press any key". I followed the instructions
> about tweaking the BIOS, etc., but still get the same message.

My guess is that you ordered the 8.10 liveCD. Do you still have your
WinXP CD? If so, does the laptop recognize that CD when you boot? If so:

Boot From Windows XP CD and then go to recovery mode by pressing "R"
when asked you .

in recovery mode type these commands :

1 . fixboot
2 . fixmbr

If the laptop doesn't recognize either CD (Ubuntu or WinXP), then
recheck your bios boot options to ensure that you have boot from CD
enabled. On an A21M they are:

F1 at startup to enter BIOS
- Startup
- Boot
Options should be in this order:
1. ATAPI CD-ROM Drive
2. Hard Drive
- your hard drive (model, number etc)
3. Removable Devices
- Legacy Floppy Drives

Make sure that none of those three _do not_ have an exclamation
character '!' in front of them. If they do, press the 'Insert' key to
remove it and enable the device.

Note: your bios may be different as I am quoting from an A21M, but just
make sure that your CD drive is set to boot.

If nothing else, you can create a set of floppy boot disks and try from
there just to get things running again. Note I've not tried any of
these, but:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
http://www.bootdisk.com/linux.htm