Old 12-09-2008, 02:32 PM
vogu

Default libsmbclient: System freezes when changing directory to Samba mounted share on NetApp server

Package: libsmbclient
Version: 2:3.2.3-1ubuntu3.3
Severity: important

I have a server from Network Appliances that I mount on my Xubuntu 8.10 via
SAMBA or CIFS.
Mounting a share from that server is ok, but when changing to a directory
below that mountpoint, the system most often crashes.

The directory in which one I change has some 250 directory entries. In the
few cases, where the system doesn't crash and where I can do an ls, the
result only shows some 145 of the 250 directories.

As I told, the system normally freezes. It does this nearly everytime when
entering cd followed
by TAB (for bash completion). In that case, nothing works any longer, not
the mouse nor the keyboard. The system can even not be pinged any longer.

I do not use any special mount options, just
mount.cifs //server/share /mnt/xxx
or
mount.smbfs ...

I can easily reproduce the problem on
- Ubuntu 8.10
- Xubuntu 8.10
- Debian Lenny (since I updated it 2 weeks ago; before that update, there
was no
problem)

The problem does not appear on
- Ubuntu 8.04
- Debian Etch
- on any Ubuntu or Debian system, when mounting a Samba share on a Linux
server; only when mounting a NetApp share the problem appears.

I am not sure if libsmbclient really is the package having a problem, but
everything points into that direction. It also could be the kernel or ...

I made my tests on 4 different PCs with the same results everywhere.

I saw a similar bug report on launchpad.net/ubuntu, it has the number
296304.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: lenny/sid
APT prefers intrepid-updates
APT policy: (500, 'intrepid-updates'), (500, 'intrepid-security'), (500, 'intrepid')
Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.27-9-generic (SMP w/1 CPU core)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash

Versions of packages libsmbclient depends on:
ii libc6 2.8~20080505-0ubuntu7 GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii libcomerr2 1.41.3-1ubuntu1 common error description library
ii libkrb53 1.6.dfsg.4~beta1-3 MIT Kerberos runtime libraries
ii libldap-2.4-2 2.4.11-0ubuntu6 OpenLDAP libraries
ii libtalloc1 1.2.0~git20080616-1 hierarchical pool based memory all
ii libwbclient0 2:3.2.3-1ubuntu3.3 client library for interfacing wit

libsmbclient recommends no packages.

-- no debconf information