Old 12-13-2008, 07:45 AM
Robert Holtzman

Default package name problem

I installed mondo 2.24-3ubuntu1 from the Ubuntu repo. Had a problem with
it so I climbed on the mondo-devel list and was told 2.24=2.2.4 and that
the latest was 2.2.7 which I went ahead and installed. Looks like the
ubuntu developers missed a decimal point. The problem is that the update
manager thinks 2.24-3 is later than 2.2.7 (2.24>2.2) and plants the
update symbol in the bottom panel. I see no way of removing it except
perhaps, globally which I don't want to do.

Short of getting the developers to rename the package, which I may
lobby for, is there any way of getting rid of this annoyance?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

--
Bob Holtzman
check the price of the beer"

Old 12-13-2008, 08:47 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 2:45 AM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:
> I installed mondo 2.24-3ubuntu1 from the Ubuntu repo. Had a problem with
> it so I climbed on the mondo-devel list and was told 2.24=2.2.4 and that
> the latest was 2.2.7 which I went ahead and installed. Looks like the
> ubuntu developers missed a decimal point. The problem is that the update
> manager thinks 2.24-3 is later than 2.2.7 (2.24>2.2) and plants the
> update symbol in the bottom panel. I see no way of removing it except
> perhaps, globally which I don't want to do.
>
> Short of getting the developers to rename the package, which I may
> lobby for, is there any way of getting rid of this annoyance?
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Check 'man apt_preferences'. Untested, but you probably want
something similar to:

Package: mondo
Pin: version 2.24*
Pin-Priority: 1001

I've not done a lot of pinning - you should read that man page carefully!
There are some GUI ways to handle pinning also:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto

Of course, fixing the release version is a better option

Chris

Old 12-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008, Chris Mohler wrote:

> Check 'man apt_preferences'. Untested, but you probably want
> something similar to:
>
> Package: mondo
> Pin: version 2.24*
> Pin-Priority: 1001
>
> I've not done a lot of pinning - you should read that man page carefully!
> There are some GUI ways to handle pinning also:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto

On that site there is a reference to holding packages. I wonder if that
wouldn't be preferable. What do you think?

> Of course, fixing the release version is a better option

True. I think I'll beat up the developers list before anything else.

Thanks for the reply

--
Bob Holtzman
The most dangerous ones aren't the ones who don't know.