Old 12-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Learning tricks with Gmail

I was happy with Gmail and IMAP but was asked by friends why I
changed my email address from k5di@zianet.com to klarsen1@gmail.com? I
allowed it came with the change to Gmail.

But got to thinking it might be which outgoing SMTP I choose to use.
I checked my Thunderbird and it is the one that makes that choice and it
has been choosing gmail. I decided to do a thing Thunderbird does not
advise and I added to the gmail outgoing the zianet SMTP and then
looked at what I could do.

This email will be done with my zianet.com SMTP because I decided to
do it. I got to the From box and change it to my Home account and it
uses the old SMTP. Cool.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-12-2008, 09:05 PM
"Steve Flynn"

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was happy with Gmail and IMAP but was asked by friends why I
> changed my email address from k5di@zianet.com to klarsen1@gmail.com? I
> allowed it came with the change to Gmail.

[snip dreary shit with nothing whatsoever to do with Ubuntu]

> Well that didn't work because I am not a member of this list with
> the zianet address...so here it is again and will work.

Seriously Karl... stop the blogging on here. It's a mailing list. If
you want a blog, by all means do one but don't post it on the "Ubuntu
User Technical Support, not for general discussions" list.

Actually, you'd do well to read the title of this list each and every
time you consider posting to it - if it's not a Technical support
question regarding Ubuntu, it doesn't belong on here. That includes
your descriptions of how you installed SSH, how you partitioned a
hard-drive, how great you think Gmail is and so forth.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 12-12-2008, 10:27 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Steve Flynn wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I was happy with Gmail and IMAP but was asked by friends why I
>> changed my email address from k5di@zianet.com to klarsen1@gmail.com? I
>> allowed it came with the change to Gmail.
>>

> [snip dreary shit with nothing whatsoever to do with Ubuntu]
>

>> Well that didn't work because I am not a member of this list with
>> the zianet address...so here it is again and will work.
>>

> Seriously Karl... stop the blogging on here. It's a mailing list. If
> you want a blog, by all means do one but don't post it on the "Ubuntu
> User Technical Support, not for general discussions" list.
>
> Actually, you'd do well to read the title of this list each and every
> time you consider posting to it - if it's not a Technical support
> question regarding Ubuntu, it doesn't belong on here. That includes
> your descriptions of how you installed SSH, how you partitioned a
> hard-drive, how great you think Gmail is and so forth.

Seriously Steve if you have nothing to do but complain, quit doing
it at my expense. I do not care if you don't like what I write. Just
shut up!

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-12-2008, 10:48 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Steve Flynn wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I was happy with Gmail and IMAP but was asked by friends why I
>>> changed my email address from k5di@zianet.com to klarsen1@gmail.com? I
>>> allowed it came with the change to Gmail.
>>>

>> [snip dreary shit with nothing whatsoever to do with Ubuntu]
>>

>>> Well that didn't work because I am not a member of this list with
>>> the zianet address...so here it is again and will work.
>>>

>> Seriously Karl... stop the blogging on here. It's a mailing list. If
>> you want a blog, by all means do one but don't post it on the "Ubuntu
>> User Technical Support, not for general discussions" list.
>>
>> Actually, you'd do well to read the title of this list each and every
>> time you consider posting to it - if it's not a Technical support
>> question regarding Ubuntu, it doesn't belong on here. That includes
>> your descriptions of how you installed SSH, how you partitioned a
>> hard-drive, how great you think Gmail is and so forth.
>>

> Seriously Steve if you have nothing to do but complain, quit doing
> it at my expense. I do not care if you don't like what I write. Just
> shut up!

Karl - I've been weary of your pointless blogging since you showed up
on the Fedora list.

If you have a question about Ubuntu, please ask the list. If you just
want to ramble, you *really* should be respectful enough to do so
elsewhere. This is a mailing list with thousands(?) of users, created
and maintained for a specific purpose - it's not your personal chat
room or web log.

Of course, since you have never taken friendly (or not-so-friendly)
advice before, I don't think you're going to stop - so could you at
least try to be *civil*? Steve has a valid point - you often post
things here that have *nothing* do do with Ubuntu.

Chris

Old 12-12-2008, 11:44 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

"Chris Mohler" <cr33dog@gmail.com> said:
> Of course, since you have never taken friendly (or not-so-friendly)
> advice before, I don't think you're going to stop - so could you at
> least try to be *civil*? Steve has a valid point - you often post
> things here that have *nothing* do do with Ubuntu.
>
> Chris

Instead of just friendly or not-so-friendly advice how about an option?

I'm guilty enough of an occasional off-topic post but may I still
suggest that you, Karl, at least consider posting subjects that don't
strictly apply to technical support of Ubuntu to the sounder list
instead of here?

sounder@lists.ubuntu.com

Here's a quote from the site:
"sounder -- Ubuntu community random chit-chat list

About sounder
English (USA)

Anything goes Ubuntu community chit-chat and discussion list"

Personally I'd like to see more traffic on that list as I'm sure there
are those around here who would not mind different topics of posts from
Ubuntu users but they really don't belong here.

(posted to both tech-sup and chitchat, replies directed to
chitchat (sounder))

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 12-12-2008, 11:59 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> "Chris Mohler" <cr33dog@gmail.com> said:
>
>> Of course, since you have never taken friendly (or not-so-friendly)
>> advice before, I don't think you're going to stop - so could you at
>> least try to be *civil*? Steve has a valid point - you often post
>> things here that have *nothing* do do with Ubuntu.
>>
>> Chris
>>

> Instead of just friendly or not-so-friendly advice how about an option?
>
> I'm guilty enough of an occasional off-topic post but may I still
> suggest that you, Karl, at least consider posting subjects that don't
> strictly apply to technical support of Ubuntu to the sounder list
> instead of here?
>
> sounder@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> Here's a quote from the site:
> "sounder -- Ubuntu community random chit-chat list
>
> About sounder
> English (USA)
>
> Anything goes Ubuntu community chit-chat and discussion list"
>
> Personally I'd like to see more traffic on that list as I'm sure there
> are those around here who would not mind different topics of posts from
> Ubuntu users but they really don't belong here.
>
> (posted to both tech-sup and chitchat, replies directed to
> chitchat (sounder))
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

Why don't all of you observe I am using Ubuntu and my comments are
directed to people like myself who decided to try Gmail as an SMTP
server. Now for you who have not a guess what SMTP server means, I can't
explain it well. But they do have one I use.

Those who have told me I am full of shit are those who have used
these things a long time. They feel it is trivial. Fine, shut up and let
it go through since is is through.

You all should observe I have USED computers for many years. I am
not a computer expert. The field my PHd. is in is Electrical Engineering
and my company did things that needed computers. In 1995 I sold the
company for many millions of dollars. My wife and I and our 2 children
now having children enjoy the money I made.

Today several of you have told me I am stupid and should shut up.
Please look within yourselves.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-13-2008, 12:12 AM
"Chris Mohler"

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Today several of you have told me I am stupid and should shut up.
> Please look within yourselves.

I'm actually trying to help you - no soul-searching required.

What's so awful about starting a blog or posting to the sounder list?

Chris

Old 12-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Richard Brown

Actually nobody has said you're stupid. They have asked you to be
courtious something you don't seem able to be. Your last reply
suggests levels of insecurity. And certainly you seem to insist on
peddling knowledge that should be done through a blog. All I can see
in the replies to you is a level of frustration - not any name
calling. So show a little respect.

Richard Brown
http://cregy.co.uk
Sent from my iPod

Old 12-13-2008, 12:35 AM
CLIFFORD ILKAY

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Why don't all of you observe I am using Ubuntu

I have some hydrangea bulbs I bought a few months ago and forgot all
about them until it was too late to plant them this year. For future
reference, is it better to plant them in the spring or autumn?

This message was written using Kubuntu so it's all right.

To those who are humour-impaired, I'm not expecting an answer. I'm
merely trying to make the point to Karl, who seems to have this notion
that as long as he writes whatever pops into his head using Ubuntu, it's
fair game for this list.

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis
1419-3266 Yonge St.
Toronto, ON
Canada M4N 3P6

<http://dinamis.com>
+1 416-410-3326

Old 12-13-2008, 03:04 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Why don't all of you observe I am using Ubuntu and my comments are
> directed to people like myself who decided to try Gmail as an SMTP
> server. Now for you who have not a guess what SMTP server means, I can't
> explain it well. But they do have one I use.

Although Gmail has very interesting features, to my humble knowledge
choosing an SMTP server is an elementary task required to configure any
email client. Google help explains it thoroughly.

> Those who have told me I am full of shit are those who have used
> these things a long time. They feel it is trivial. Fine, shut up and let
> it go through since is is through.

Of course my native language is not English at all but I didn't notice
any reference to "full of shit" in the current thread, maybe a synonym
was used?

> You all should observe I have USED computers for many years. I am
> not a computer expert. The field my PHd. is in is Electrical Engineering
> and my company did things that needed computers. In 1995 I sold the
> company for many millions of dollars. My wife and I and our 2 children
> now having children enjoy the money I made.

I suddenly noticed that having never submitted my credentials, I may not
satisfy the minimum requirements to post in this list, so here they go:

I've been using computers for many years, since Apple II in fact, I'm no
expert at all, just very curious, have a mere bachelorship in Mech.
Engineering, that at least in theory should help me think rationally,
have been fiddling with Ubuntu since 7.04, my numpad keeps locking
since Intrepid, I don't know why, (a technical subject) remain a
complete Noobie (such a noobie that don't even know what noobie stands
for) and my company, which was very fond of its computers, went bankrupt
a year ago leaving me almost penniless and definitely wifeless. Can I
still apply?

> Today several of you have told me I am stupid and should shut up.
> Please look within yourselves.
>
> Karl

Ahh, this year I turned sixty, and maybe I'm getting a bit deaf,
couldn't hear "stupid" and "shut up". Please look at me, beeing deaf can
I still apply?

L.
Applying for a subscription at
"Ubuntu user technical support, /not for general discussions/"