Old 12-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Default Cant get any ubuntu version/type to boot to the installer or livecd properly

Michael Varre wrote:

> I have a beautiful new HP EliteBook 8530p which I'm trying to get
> ubuntu installed onto. Currently runs Vista x64 (this shouldnt really
> matter though). I cant seem to get any version of Ubuntu to boot into
> the disc correctly. the disks ARE getting burned properly and have no
> errors.
>
> I've tried various flavors here to see if any of them work and im
> having no luck.
>
> Ubuntu 8.10 amd64 & 32bit Desktop Alternate – gets me to the screen
> where I choose the language and I choose install ubuntu. Gives the
> progress bar where it loads the installer and all that stuff then
> brings me to a blinking cursor on a black screen. It stays like this
> indefinitely.
>
> Kubuntu 8.10 32bit – choose INSTALL and "bug: soft lockup. CPU#1
> stuck for 11s. Modeprobe:1040
>
> Ubuntu 8.04 32bit Server – choose INSTALL and "bug: soft lockup.
> CPU#1 stuck for 11s. Modeprobe:1040
>

> The strange thing is at one point a few days ago I was able to boot
> the amd64 one into the livecd. The only thing that's change since
> then is a put a new drive in the laptop. But I've put the old one
> back in to see if I can again boot into the live cd, and no go. No
> bios changes have been made. Im lost. Please help.

I don't know if it might help but I had a similar problem and managed to
address it by using the Live CD and booting without the options "quiet"
and "splash" (F6 - options) so that every step of the boot process could
be followed.

Regards,

L.