Old 12-12-2008, 03:44 PM
"Michael Varre"

Default Cant get any ubuntu version/type to boot to the installer or livecd properly

I have a beautiful new HP EliteBook 8530p which I'm trying
to get ubuntu installed onto.* Currently runs Vista x64 (this shouldnt
really matter though). I cant seem to get any version of Ubuntu to boot into
the disc correctly.* the disks ARE getting burned properly and have no
errors.

I've tried various flavors here to see if any of them work
and im having no luck.

Ubuntu 8.10 amd64 & 32bit Desktop Alternate – gets me to
the screen where I choose the language and I choose install ubuntu.* Gives the progress bar where it loads the
installer and all that stuff then brings me to a blinking cursor on a black
screen.* It stays like this indefinitely.

Kubuntu 8.10 32bit – choose INSTALL and "bug: soft lockup.* CPU#1 stuck for 11s.* Modeprobe:1040

Ubuntu 8.04 32bit Server – choose INSTALL and "bug: soft
lockup.* CPU#1 stuck for 11s.* Modeprobe:1040

*

The strange thing is at one point a few days ago I was able
to boot the amd64 one into the livecd.*
The only thing that's change since then is a put a new drive in the
laptop.* But I've put the old one back in
to see if I can again boot into the live cd, and no go.* No bios changes have been made.* Im lost. Please help.

--

mv
315.952.5753