-   -   My modem/router doesn't like Ubuntu (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/210763-my-modem-router-doesnt-like-ubuntu.html)

Óscar Fuentes 12-12-2008 03:17 PM

My modem/router doesn't like Ubuntu

My internet access consists on a Xavi 7768 ADSL modem/router. It is
connected by wire to two windows machines and a Kubuntu 8.10. After some
hours or days, internet access on the Kubuntu machine becomes flaky,
most connection attempts takes a long time or timeouts. The Windows
machines have no problem. The Kubuntu machine can connect to the other
machines on the local network at full speed, though, so the problem is
limited to connections to/from internet.

Tried disabling ipv6 on Kubuntu, no effect.

It is not a DNS problem: pinging by IP address with the -n option is
slow too. The most strange thing is that ping seems to hang for several
seconds: it doesn't react to Control-C immediately. The reported times
(when ping obtains a response) are on the range of milleconds, when ping
takes several seconds (typically 10 or more) to report responses. With
`dig' I see something similar: it seems to hang for several seconds and
then either reports a timeout or says that the response took a few
milliseconds.

The only cure for this is to restart the router. Then internet works for
the Kubuntu machine for some hours or a few days until the problem
appears again.

If this is a problem with the modem/router, is there some setting I
could try to avoid it?

--
Oscar

Aart Koelewijn 12-13-2008 02:56 PM

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 17:17:10 +0100, Óscar Fuentes wrote:

> My internet access consists on a Xavi 7768 ADSL modem/router. It is
> connected by wire to two windows machines and a Kubuntu 8.10. After some
> hours or days, internet access on the Kubuntu machine becomes flaky,
> most connection attempts takes a long time or timeouts. The Windows
> machines have no problem. The Kubuntu machine can connect to the other
> machines on the local network at full speed, though, so the problem is
> limited to connections to/from internet.
>
> Tried disabling ipv6 on Kubuntu, no effect.
>
> It is not a DNS problem: pinging by IP address with the -n option is
> slow too. The most strange thing is that ping seems to hang for several
> seconds: it doesn't react to Control-C immediately. The reported times
> (when ping obtains a response) are on the range of milleconds, when ping
> takes several seconds (typically 10 or more) to report responses. With
> `dig' I see something similar: it seems to hang for several seconds and
> then either reports a timeout or says that the response took a few
> milliseconds.
>
> The only cure for this is to restart the router. Then internet works for
> the Kubuntu machine for some hours or a few days until the problem
> appears again.
>
> If this is a problem with the modem/router, is there some setting I
> could try to avoid it?

It could be a problem with the NAT tables in the router. It might help if
you run a caching nameserver (named/bind) in your Linux box.

Aart