Old 12-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Florian Primessnig

Default Server freezes when in Dom-0 / xen 3.2

hey group,

i got a rly nasty problem here.
i got a amd64 server running ubuntu hardy LTS with latest kernel
2.6.24-22-xen and xen 3.2 in Domain-0.

The server "freezes" randomly, by freezing i mean there is no log in
syslog or any other log, nothing onscreen, no kernel panic, just freeze.
i cannot reproduce the system crash as it happens randomly sometime
after a few days. only way to start the crash by force is if i try to
get a backup of the machine via bacula-fd (a backup client). As this is
probably a heavy I/O task maybe thats the cause of the problem.

i tried all xen versions from 3.0 to 3.2
i tried several (xen-)kernel back from 2.6.19 to 2.6.24 but the problem
insists.

the system freeze doesnt occur if i boot up the machine in regular way
- not running in Xen Dom-0, so i guess it hast to be some kind of xen
bug or misconfiguration. the raid controller i use is pretty standard,
its even in debian and ubuntu kernel by default, so i guess a lot of ppl
are using it and it shall not cause the problem.
RAID bus controller: 3ware Inc 7xxx/8xxx-series PATA/SATA-RAID (rev 01)

any hints ? help appreciated

regards
Florian

--
Florian Primessnig
------------------

Old 12-12-2008, 09:19 PM
"Steve Flynn"

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Florian Primessnig <florian@subnet.at> wrote:
> hey group,
>
> i got a rly nasty problem here.
> i got a amd64 server running ubuntu hardy LTS with latest kernel
> 2.6.24-22-xen and xen 3.2 in Domain-0.
>
> The server "freezes" randomly, by freezing i mean there is no log in
> syslog or any other log, nothing onscreen, no kernel panic, just freeze.

You've performed a full memtest86 check of your RAM to confirm its good?

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 12-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Florian Primessnig

Steve Flynn schrieb:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Florian Primessnig <florian@subnet.at> wrote:
>
>> hey group,
>>
>> i got a rly nasty problem here.
>> i got a amd64 server running ubuntu hardy LTS with latest kernel
>> 2.6.24-22-xen and xen 3.2 in Domain-0.
>>
>> The server "freezes" randomly, by freezing i mean there is no log in
>> syslog or any other log, nothing onscreen, no kernel panic, just freeze.
>>

> You've performed a full memtest86 check of your RAM to confirm its good?

yes i did a full memtest.
somehow i finally got some error logs shortly before the freeze happens
by disabling usb hub in bios - rly strange. as mentioned before if i
boot up the normal 2.6.24-22 kernel without running in xen dom0 all
works perfectly fine.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:40 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Florian Primessnig wrote:
> Steve Flynn schrieb:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Florian Primessnig <florian@subnet.at> wrote:
>>

>>> hey group,
>>>
>>> i got a rly nasty problem here.
>>> i got a amd64 server running ubuntu hardy LTS with latest kernel
>>> 2.6.24-22-xen and xen 3.2 in Domain-0.
>>>
>>> The server "freezes" randomly, by freezing i mean there is no log in
>>> syslog or any other log, nothing onscreen, no kernel panic, just freeze.
>>>

>> You've performed a full memtest86 check of your RAM to confirm its good?
>>

> yes i did a full memtest.
> somehow i finally got some error logs shortly before the freeze happens
> by disabling usb hub in bios - rly strange. as mentioned before if i
> boot up the normal 2.6.24-22 kernel without running in xen dom0 all
> works perfectly fine.

It sounds like some part of your computer is getting too hot and
then failing. This leaves no log entry and it could be something
stressed when you run xendom0 whatever that is. I googled xen dom0 and
found it speeds up your server and that makes me even more certain your
computer is getting too hot. I would check around the CPU.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Karl F. Larsen:

> I googled xen dom0 and found it speeds up your server

Exactly. The Xen dom0 is designed to make your server run at ludicrous
speed (provided you're sitting in front of it wearing a Dark Helmet).

Regards
mks

Old 12-13-2008, 07:40 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen:
>

>> I googled xen dom0 and found it speeds up your server
>>

> Exactly. The Xen dom0 is designed to make your server run at ludicrous
> speed (provided you're sitting in front of it wearing a Dark Helmet).
>
> Regards
> mks

The xen I found costs money as well. I guess that pays for the Dark
Helment? :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Karl F. Larsen:

> The xen I found costs money as well. I guess that pays for the Dark
> Helment? :-)

Nope, Dark Helmets not included.
The money you pay buys you one year of premium support from Yogurt.

Regards
mks