Old 12-12-2008, 04:58 AM
"Sam Litman"

Default I am having a problem installing Ubuntu 8.10

To whom it may concern:
************
My name is Sam Litman, and I am having a problem installing Ubuntu 8.10. I
burned a cd of the Linux OS, and a screen comes up to install, but, it asks for
a username and password. I did install Ubuntu 8.04 several months ago, but, I
had to bring my computer back*to factory specs. I must have put in a
username and password at that time, but, I don't know what my password is at
all, or if I even have one. the username is coming up saml, but, I do not know
what the password was from before. I want to be able to install Ubuntu 8.10, but
am not able to because of the password. I need to know how to reset the password
to get a new one*or how to get the password from before. I hope I can get
some help in this matter soon. Thank you.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:29 AM
Nils Kassube

Sam Litman wrote:
> My name is Sam Litman, and I am having a problem
> installing Ubuntu 8.10. I burned a cd of the Linux OS, and a screen
> comes up to install, but, it asks for a username and password. I did
> install Ubuntu 8.04 several months ago, but, I had to bring my computer
> back to factory specs. I must have put in a username and password at
> that time, but, I don't know what my password is at all, or if I even
> have one.

If you want to install Ubuntu you are asked for the username and password
you want to use on the new system. It doesn't know or care about any

If you later want to reset a password on an existing system you can follow
these instructions: <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LostPassword>

Nils