Old 12-11-2008, 10:37 PM
"Joshua Martin"

Default Cron.Hourly

Why is the /etc/cron.hourly directory missing in Ubuntu 8.10 Virtual Machine?

Old 12-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Derek Broughton

Joshua Martin wrote:

> Why is the /etc/cron.hourly directory missing in Ubuntu 8.10 Virtual
> Machine?

You don't have cron installed? No idea if cron _should_ be installed by
default, but /etc/cron.hourly is part of the cron package.
--
derek

Old 12-12-2008, 12:41 AM
"Joshua Martin"

To my surprise, that was the answer!

However, there must be some kind of minimalist cron version installed by default on the virtual machine because there is a cron.daily and cron.weekly in /etc - and those directories have files in them.

Sorry for being a bother

Old 12-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Joshua Martin wrote:
> To my surprise, that was the answer!
>
> However, there must be some kind of minimalist cron version installed by
> default on the virtual machine because there is a cron.daily and
> cron.weekly in /etc - and those directories have files in them.

These are installed by anacron.

Matt Flaschen

Old 12-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Dominique Dos Santos

Hi

Sorry but i have no clue, and am not able to answer

Dominique

Computer Traders
Cnr Meade & Albert
George 6530
tel 044 874 0104

Old 12-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Derek Broughton

Joshua Martin wrote:

> To my surprise, that was the answer!
>
> However, there must be some kind of minimalist cron version installed
> by default on the virtual machine because there is a cron.daily and
> cron.weekly in /etc - and those directories have files in them.
>
> Sorry for being a bother

Matthew may be right about anacron - though I can't imagine why anacron
would be installed if cron isn't. It was a surprise to me that cron isn't
a hard dependency for anacron.

In any case, _many_ packages will create those directories - I count 22
on my system. IE, any package that _does_ set up a daily cron task will
create /etc/cron.daily if it doesn't already exist.

--
derek

Old 12-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Tony Arnold

Derek,

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Matthew may be right about anacron - though I can't imagine why anacron
> would be installed if cron isn't. It was a surprise to me that cron isn't
> a hard dependency for anacron.

There are other events that invoke anacron. On start up and when a
laptop switches to mains power are two that I am aware of.

On my machine, cron just starts up anacron at 07.30 every morning! And
I've not changed this from the default.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold, Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security, Fax: +44 (0) 870 136 1004

Old 12-13-2008, 12:44 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 15:21 +0200, Dominique Dos Santos wrote:

> Sorry but i have no clue, and am not able to answer

Please don't post this every time this is the case