Old 12-11-2008, 08:11 PM
norman

Default DVD playing.

When I load a DVD the DVD automatically starts using Totem. I would like
to be able to just load the DVD and then to choose the player. I must be
getting old but I can't see how to do this. Your help would be very much
welcomed.

Norman

Old 12-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 21:11 +0000, norman wrote:
> When I load a DVD the DVD automatically starts using Totem. I would
> like

To change this, we need to know which Ubuntu version you use.

> to be able to just load the DVD and then to choose the player.

I don't know what "load the DVD" means. Do you mean that you don't want
the computer to do anything when you insert the DVD, i.e., should it
simply wait for you to start the player?

Old 12-12-2008, 07:57 AM
norman

> > When I load a DVD the DVD automatically starts using Totem. I would
> > like
>
> To change this, we need to know which Ubuntu version you use.

I an using Ubuntu 8.10

> > to be able to just load the DVD and then to choose the player.
>
> I don't know what "load the DVD" means. Do you mean that you don't want
> the computer to do anything when you insert the DVD, i.e., should it
> simply wait for you to start the player?

I was not very clear, sorry. I would like to insert the DVD and wait for
the icon representing the DVD to appear on the screen. Then I would be
able to start the player of my choice.

Norman

Old 12-12-2008, 03:46 PM
NoOp

On 12/12/2008 12:57 AM, norman wrote:
>> > When I load a DVD the DVD automatically starts using Totem. I would
>> > like
>>
>> To change this, we need to know which Ubuntu version you use.
>
> I an using Ubuntu 8.10
>>
>> > to be able to just load the DVD and then to choose the player.
>>
>> I don't know what "load the DVD" means. Do you mean that you don't want
>> the computer to do anything when you insert the DVD, i.e., should it
>> simply wait for you to start the player?
>
> I was not very clear, sorry. I would like to insert the DVD and wait for
> the icon representing the DVD to appear on the screen. Then I would be
> able to start the player of my choice.
>
> Norman

Open Nautilius (Places|Home Folder) then Edit|Preferences|Media|DVD
Video|Ask what to do. You might be able to train it by testing with
'Open with other application'. I prefer SMPlayer and have that set as an
option, so it also shows up in the DVD Video| dropdown.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:06 PM
norman

> >> To change this, we need to know which Ubuntu version you use.
> >
> > I an using Ubuntu 8.10

> >> I don't know what "load the DVD" means. Do you mean that you don't want
> >> the computer to do anything when you insert the DVD, i.e., should it
> >> simply wait for you to start the player?
> >
> > I was not very clear, sorry. I would like to insert the DVD and wait for
> > the icon representing the DVD to appear on the screen. Then I would be
> > able to start the player of my choice.
> >

> Open Nautilius (Places|Home Folder) then Edit|Preferences|Media|DVD
> Video|Ask what to do. You might be able to train it by testing with
> 'Open with other application'. I prefer SMPlayer and have that set as an
> option, so it also shows up in the DVD Video| dropdown.

This seems an excellent method, I will give it a go. Thanks.

Norman