Old 12-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Harry Putnam

Default Install ubuntu next to Windows?

Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> writes:

> elmo wrote:
>> I've been asked to install ubuntu in a computer that has a single hard
>> drive and I'm not sure how to start. I know it preferrable to have a
>> separate hard drive but am not sure if installing in a separate
>> partition on the single hard drive that already has Windows will do
>> the trick. There's plenty of room on that single HD for another
>> partition or two. An external HD is not an option.

Maybe consider installing ubuntu in a vmware running on that host?

Old 12-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> I've been asked to install ubuntu in a computer that has
> a single hard drive and I'm not sure how to
> start. I know it preferrable to have a separate hard
> drive but am not sure if installing in a separate partition
> on the single hard drive that already has Windows will do
> the trick. There's plenty of room on that
> single HD for another partition or two. An external HD is
> not an option.
>
> What are the chances for success?.
>
> Elmo

Of course you can install ubuntu on a separate partition with windows.
I expect most installs are that way. You can also install ubuntu within
windows, as an application, using wubi. I've never done it that way and wouldn't
care to but there are many posts on the list describing it. It may be some opinion
that a separate hard drive is preferable but that's strictly and opinion. Can be
done any way mentioned above as you chose. HTH,
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Mike McGinn

On Thursday 11 December 2008 16:22:00 Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> [...]

Here is a related (I hope question):
Let's say I buy a laptop with Vista and repartition it and install Ubuntu. Can
I run the existing Vista install in a virtual machine? I am becoming the new
treasurer for my church, and sadly there is some stuff that has to be done in
Windows.

--
Mike McGinn
Registered Linux User 377849

Old 12-11-2008, 08:43 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Mike McGinn wrote:
> On Thursday 11 December 2008 16:22:00 Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

I have done this lately. I have a new laptop with Vista installed.
The way it was put on the 160 GB hard drive it took the whole thing! I
had the Vista partition as /dev/sda1 and the rescue at /dev/sda2. Now
dev/sda1 was 130GB of which Vista was using 10 GB.

So the first step was to load the liveCD and use the partitioner to
take 120 GB from /dev/sda1 which it did leaving 10 GB. Vista works fine.

But now you need to move /dev/sda2 next to /dev/sda1 which it will
do but it takes a long time. When done you have 120 GB of free space.
Put your Linux there.

Karl

Old 12-11-2008, 08:51 PM

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Mike McGinn wrote:
>> Here is a related (I hope question):
>> Let's say I buy a laptop with Vista and repartition it and install Ubuntu. Can
>> I run the existing Vista install in a virtual machine? I am becoming the new
>> treasurer for my church, and sadly there is some stuff that has to be done in
>> Windows.
>
> I have done this lately. I have a new laptop with Vista installed.
> The way it was put on the 160 GB hard drive it took the whole thing! I
> had the Vista partition as /dev/sda1 and the rescue at /dev/sda2. Now
> dev/sda1 was 130GB of which Vista was using 10 GB.
>
> So the first step was to load the liveCD and use the partitioner to
> take 120 GB from /dev/sda1 which it did leaving 10 GB. Vista works fine.
>
> But now you need to move /dev/sda2 next to /dev/sda1 which it will
> do but it takes a long time. When done you have 120 GB of free space.
> Put your Linux there.

I think he meant how he could transfer the installed Vista into
a virtual machine. That means running it in VMWare or Virtualbox
or some such.

AFAIK, VMWare has tools to do this, but they are not free.

--
Odd

Old 12-11-2008, 11:00 PM
"elmo"

*

I've been asked to install ubuntu in a computer
that has a single hard drive and I'm not sure how to
start.** I know it preferrable to have
a separate hard drive but am not sure if*installing in *a separate
partition
on the single hard drive that already *has
Windows *will do the trick.* There's plenty of room on
that
single*HD*for another partition or
two.* An external HD is not an option.
*
What are the chances for success?.
*
Elmo
*
*
*

--
ubuntu-users mailing
list

*
*
I just* went ahead and tried it..*
Ubuntu 8.10*is installed in a partition next to the Windows partition on
that computer and it works fine.
*
Elmo

Old 12-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Dominique Dos Santos

Hi Elmo

You can dual boot the pc, no need for another drive. ubuntu can partition the drive outomaticly. jyst make sur there is enough disk space.

Boot of the disc, and start to install ubuntu, it's very simple 7 steps to be exact.
one of the steps is the disc partition, it'll give you a view options the first is to partition disc one into 2 parts, a 50%
partition. then wait for it to partition and scan the disc, depending on system recources, it may tak 2 to 5 min. Note if not carefull and only sometimes the partition is not succsessfull there might be data loss, so be carefull about dual booting ubuntu. it doesnt happen often but it does happen

regards
Dominique

Computer Traders
cnr Meade & Albert
george 6530
tel 044 874 0104
From: elmo@ne.rr.com
To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: Install ubuntu next to Windows?
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 19:00:55 -0500

*

[...]

Join the all-new Windows Live Messenger family Click here!