Old 12-11-2008, 04:06 PM
"elmo"

Default Install ubuntu next to Windows?

I've been asked to install ubuntu in a computer
that has a single hard drive and I'm not sure how to
start.** I know it preferrable to have a
separate hard drive but am not sure if*installing in *a separate
partition
on the single hard drive that already *has
Windows *will do the trick.* There's plenty of room on
that
single*HD*for another partition or
two.* An external HD is not an option.
*
What are the chances for success?.
*
Elmo
*
*
*
*

Old 12-11-2008, 04:09 PM

elmo wrote:
> I've been asked to install ubuntu in a computer that has a single hard
> drive and I'm not sure how to
> start. I know it preferrable to have a separate hard drive but am not
> sure if installing in a separate partition
> on the single hard drive that already has Windows will do the trick.
> There's plenty of room on that
> single HD for another partition or two. An external HD is not an option.
>
> What are the chances for success?.

Very good. Just let Ubuntu resize it like it suggests on install.

--
Odd

Old 12-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Nils Kassube

elmo wrote:
> I've been asked to install ubuntu in a computer that has a single hard
> drive and I'm not sure how to start. I know it preferrable to have a
> separate hard drive but am not sure if installing in a separate
> partition on the single hard drive that already has Windows will do
> the trick. There's plenty of room on that single HD for another
> partition or two. An external HD is not an option.

If it is Vista use the builtin tool to resize the Windows partition. If it
is XP resize it during the installation from within Ubuntu. But whatever
you do, make backups first - you may loose everything on the Windows
partition when you resize it.

Another option would be to use Wubi and install Ubuntu within the Windows
partition. That way you can avoid resizing the partiton. The disadvantage:
Windows programs might in unintentionally damage your virtual Ubuntu disk
file. You can start the installation by simply inserting the install CD
while Windows is running. It will ask you where to install Ubuntu.

Nils