Old 12-11-2008, 02:05 PM
John French

Default Another networking problem

I am embarrassed because my problem is so similar to Chatagnier's. I
have been following (with some difficulty) the advice which he was
given, as well as reading all the manuals I can find, but I don't seem
to find a solution. My network is :

Netgear router 192.168.0.1 (provides DHCP)
Ubuntu Hardy server D2400.tow.org.uk 192.168.0.50 (fixed, wired)
Ubuntu Intrepid E50.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
XP* J205.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
W2K* A50.tow.org.uk DHCP (wired)
W2K - laptop* A31.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
(* to be Ubuntu - if I can learn enough !)

Almost everything works fine - everyone can connect to the internet, and
the Windows machines can see the shares on all the other systems, and I
have even copied files from one Ubuntu system to the other when sitting
at a Windows machine. BUT I can't see the other systems from the Ubuntu
machines. From the server, by going to Places > Network, I can see the
host names, but not the files on them - if I click on a system, it does
nothing for about 30 sec. and then shows a blank screen. From the
Intrepid desktop, I get "Windows Network", which gives "TOW.ORG.UK", but
nothing more.

I believe the problem is name resolution. From the Windows machines, I
can ping any other machine by IP or name. From Ubuntu, I can ping by IP,
but using a name always brings up 67.215.65.132, which, I think, is
OpenDNS. I have tried to fix /etc/resolv.conf, but the Intrepid machine
always changes it back. The Hardy server lets me change it, but my
changes don't fix the problem. I can happily make all the IP's fixed or
DHCP, if so advised. I guess I have messed up my config files trying
different solutions. Should I re-install ? And, if so, Intrepid or Hardy ?

John

Old 12-11-2008, 02:20 PM
"Mark Haney"

John French wrote:
> I am embarrassed because my problem is so similar to Chatagnier's. I
> have been following (with some difficulty) the advice which he was
> given, as well as reading all the manuals I can find, but I don't seem
> to find a solution. My network is :
>
> Netgear router 192.168.0.1 (provides DHCP)
> Ubuntu Hardy server D2400.tow.org.uk 192.168.0.50 (fixed, wired)
> Ubuntu Intrepid E50.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
> XP* J205.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
> W2K* A50.tow.org.uk DHCP (wired)
> W2K - laptop* A31.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
> (* to be Ubuntu - if I can learn enough !)
>
> Almost everything works fine - everyone can connect to the internet, and
> the Windows machines can see the shares on all the other systems, and I
> have even copied files from one Ubuntu system to the other when sitting
> at a Windows machine. BUT I can't see the other systems from the Ubuntu
> machines. From the server, by going to Places > Network, I can see the
> host names, but not the files on them - if I click on a system, it does
> nothing for about 30 sec. and then shows a blank screen. From the
> Intrepid desktop, I get "Windows Network", which gives "TOW.ORG.UK", but
> nothing more.
>
> I believe the problem is name resolution. From the Windows machines, I
> can ping any other machine by IP or name. From Ubuntu, I can ping by IP,
> but using a name always brings up 67.215.65.132, which, I think, is
> OpenDNS. I have tried to fix /etc/resolv.conf, but the Intrepid machine
> always changes it back. The Hardy server lets me change it, but my
> changes don't fix the problem. I can happily make all the IP's fixed or
> DHCP, if so advised. I guess I have messed up my config files trying
> different solutions. Should I re-install ? And, if so, Intrepid or Hardy ?
>
> John

I'd certainly say the problem is name resolution. What I"m curious about
is how the Windows machines can ping by name? Is it able to ping by
FQDN? Or by just hostname? What does /etc/resolv.conf say?

Based on what you've said, it's /possible/ the Windows boxes are using
DHCP to do name resolution, but typically linux boxes don't (at least in
my experience they don't.)

My suggestion would be to do one of these:

Setup the /etc/hosts file for each host (with DHCP that makes it tough,
unless the lease itself is unlimited).

Setup internal DNS (with same issue as above).

Or, I suppose you might be able to setup the linux boxes to use DHCP for
name resolution, but I"ve not done that in years, nor, when I did, did I
have a lot of luck with it.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 12-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Nils Kassube

Mark Haney wrote:
> John French wrote:
> > Netgear router 192.168.0.1 (provides DHCP)
> > Ubuntu Hardy server D2400.tow.org.uk 192.168.0.50 (fixed, wired)
> > Ubuntu Intrepid E50.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
> > XP* J205.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
> > W2K* A50.tow.org.uk DHCP (wired)
> > W2K - laptop* A31.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
>
> My suggestion would be to do one of these:
>
> Setup the /etc/hosts file for each host (with DHCP that makes it tough,
> unless the lease itself is unlimited).
>
> Setup internal DNS (with same issue as above).

I think a good way to setup internal DNS would be to use dnsmasq on the
server which uses a fixed address already and is probably always running.
Furthermore dnsmasq can provide DHCP so you could have both DNS and DHCP
from your server and the names and addresses are consistent.

Nils

Old 12-11-2008, 04:14 PM
John French

Mark Haney wrote :
> John French wrote:
[snip]

>> > I believe the problem is name resolution. From the Windows machines, I
>> > can ping any other machine by IP or name. From Ubuntu, I can ping by IP,
>> > but using a name always brings up 67.215.65.132, which, I think, is
>> > OpenDNS. I have tried to fix /etc/resolv.conf, but the Intrepid machine
>> > always changes it back. The Hardy server lets me change it, but my
>> > changes don't fix the problem. I can happily make all the IP's fixed or
>> > DHCP, if so advised. I guess I have messed up my config files trying
>> > different solutions. Should I re-install ? And, if so, Intrepid or Hardy ?
>> >
>> > John
>> >

> I'd certainly say the problem is name resolution. What I"m curious about
> is how the Windows machines can ping by name? Is it able to ping by
> FQDN? Or by just hostname? What does /etc/resolv.conf say?
[snip]

That's fascinating ! I had been pinging from Windows with just the
hostname (E50, etc.), and that worked. If I use the FQDN, it goes off to
67.215.65.132.

/etc/resolv.conf on my Hardy server reads :

domain tow.org.uk
nameserver 192.168.0.1

/etc/resolv.conf on my Intrepid desktop reads :

domain tow.org.uk
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

John

Old 12-11-2008, 04:24 PM
"Mark Haney"

John French wrote:

> That's fascinating ! I had been pinging from Windows with just the
> hostname (E50, etc.), and that worked. If I use the FQDN, it goes off to
> 67.215.65.132.
>
> /etc/resolv.conf on my Hardy server reads :
>
> domain tow.org.uk
> nameserver 192.168.0.1
>

> /etc/resolv.conf on my Intrepid desktop reads :
>
> domain tow.org.uk
> nameserver 208.67.222.222
> nameserver 208.67.220.220
>
> John

Windows, uses NetBT to do name resolution via the hostname. It will
also query DHCP for those hostnames (not FQDN, which it recognizes as
an internet name).

I would setup DNS internally for this and make the DHCP leases unlimited
so that the IPS don't change on the hosts.

Or, you could just make the IPs all static internally.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Christopher Biessener

John French wrote:
> Almost everything works fine - everyone can connect to the internet, and
> the Windows machines can see the shares on all the other systems, and I
> have even copied files from one Ubuntu system to the other when sitting
> at a Windows machine. BUT I can't see the other systems from the Ubuntu
> machines. From the server, by going to Places > Network, I can see the
> host names, but not the files on them - if I click on a system, it does
> nothing for about 30 sec. and then shows a blank screen.

I've had the same problem since the Ubuntu updates on Dec 4th. I tried
posting my issue before but had no response. I can ping just fine using
hostname. If I try to connect to the Windows share with the same
launcher that used to work I get the following error:

Couldn't display "smb://voomfs/public/".
Error: Failed to mount Windows share
Please select another viewer and try again.

I don't believe it's a DNS issue, but rather a samba issue. I have
tried to reinstall samba from a clean slate. I've even tried smb2www
and smbc as alternate viewers to nautilus. Nothing works. I don't
remember what the Dec 4th updates were, nor am I familiar enough with
Ubuntu or Synaptic to figure out how to back out the updates. (BTW, I
am also running Hardy.)

Thank you,

Christopher Biessener

Old 12-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Derek Broughton

John French wrote:

> Mark Haney wrote :

>> I'd certainly say the problem is name resolution. What I"m curious
>> about
>> is how the Windows machines can ping by name? Is it able to ping by
>> FQDN? Or by just hostname? What does /etc/resolv.conf say?
> [snip]
>
> That's fascinating ! I had been pinging from Windows with just the
> hostname (E50, etc.), and that worked. If I use the FQDN, it goes off
> to 67.215.65.132.

I may be off-base, as I missed most of this discussion, but doesn't
windows try NetBIOS name lookups first - so if the destination is either
a windows machine or a linux machine running Samba, it may be found even
when DNS isn't working
--
derek

Old 12-13-2008, 01:10 AM
NoOp

On 12/11/2008 07:05 AM, John French wrote:
> I am embarrassed because my problem is so similar to Chatagnier's. I
> have been following (with some difficulty) the advice which he was
> given, as well as reading all the manuals I can find, but I don't seem
> to find a solution. My network is :
>
> Netgear router 192.168.0.1 (provides DHCP)
> Ubuntu Hardy server D2400.tow.org.uk 192.168.0.50 (fixed, wired)
> Ubuntu Intrepid E50.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
> XP* J205.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
> W2K* A50.tow.org.uk DHCP (wired)
> W2K - laptop* A31.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
> (* to be Ubuntu - if I can learn enough !)

I find several issues with the way you have set this up:

tow.org.uk is an internet facing domain name with an IP address of
62.233.121.64. That address belongs to iomart.com/internetters.co.uk
whom you've received hosting services from for your domain name
(tow.org.uk).

$ host www.tow.org.uk
www.tow.org.uk has address 62.233.121.64

Which hosts over 1,337 domains:
http://whois.webhosting.info/62.233.121.64

You receive mail at:
$ host tow.org.uk
tow.org.uk has address 62.233.121.64
tow.org.uk mail is handled by 10 mail.tow.org.uk
tow.org.uk mail is handled by 20 mail2.tow.org.uk

$ host mail.tow.org.uk
mail.tow.org.uk has address 84.22.161.220
$ host 84.22.161.220
220.161.22.84.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer nicmail1.iomart.com

etc., etc.

Correct so far?

Your _local_ network issues have absolutely _nothing_ to do with
tow.org.uk... unless of course you wish to expose your wireless network
for all the world to see.

I suspect that Derek, Nils, Mark et al can help you sort this out fairly
easily once they realise that _none_ of your:

Netgear router 192.168.0.1 (provides DHCP)
Ubuntu Hardy server D2400.tow.org.uk 192.168.0.50 (fixed, wired)
Ubuntu Intrepid E50.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
XP* J205.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
W2K* A50.tow.org.uk DHCP (wired)
W2K - laptop* A31.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
(* to be Ubuntu - if I can learn enough !)

with tow.org.uk means anything regarding your _local_ network and your
_local_ machines.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:42 AM
Nils Kassube

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/11/2008 07:05 AM, John French wrote:
> > Netgear router 192.168.0.1 (provides DHCP)
> > Ubuntu Hardy server D2400.tow.org.uk 192.168.0.50 (fixed, wired)
> > Ubuntu Intrepid E50.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
> > XP* J205.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
> > W2K* A50.tow.org.uk DHCP (wired)
> > W2K - laptop* A31.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
> > (* to be Ubuntu - if I can learn enough !)
>
> I find several issues with the way you have set this up:
>
> tow.org.uk is an internet facing domain name with an IP address of
> 62.233.121.64. That address belongs to iomart.com/internetters.co.uk
> whom you've received hosting services from for your domain name
> (tow.org.uk).
>
> $ host www.tow.org.uk
> www.tow.org.uk has address 62.233.121.64
>
> Which hosts over 1,337 domains:
> http://whois.webhosting.info/62.233.121.64
>
> You receive mail at:
> $ host tow.org.uk
> tow.org.uk has address 62.233.121.64
> tow.org.uk mail is handled by 10 mail.tow.org.uk
> tow.org.uk mail is handled by 20 mail2.tow.org.uk

And what's the problem? He doesn't use www, mail or mail2 as hostnames for
his LAN. His LAN hosts are D2400, E50, J205, A50 and A31. IMHO it doesn't
matter that they can't be reached from the outside world.

Nils

Old 12-13-2008, 06:20 AM
scott

Nils Kassube wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 12/11/2008 07:05 AM, John French wrote:
>>
>>> Netgear router 192.168.0.1 (provides DHCP)
>>> Ubuntu Hardy server D2400.tow.org.uk 192.168.0.50 (fixed, wired)
>>> Ubuntu Intrepid E50.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
>>> XP* J205.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
>>> W2K* A50.tow.org.uk DHCP (wired)
>>> W2K - laptop* A31.tow.org.uk DHCP (wireless)
>>> (* to be Ubuntu - if I can learn enough !)
>>>
>> I find several issues with the way you have set this up:
>>
>> tow.org.uk is an internet facing domain name with an IP address of
>> 62.233.121.64. That address belongs to iomart.com/internetters.co.uk
>> whom you've received hosting services from for your domain name
>> (tow.org.uk).
>>
>> $ host www.tow.org.uk
>> www.tow.org.uk has address 62.233.121.64
>>
>> Which hosts over 1,337 domains:
>> http://whois.webhosting.info/62.233.121.64
>>
>> You receive mail at:
>> $ host tow.org.uk
>> tow.org.uk has address 62.233.121.64
>> tow.org.uk mail is handled by 10 mail.tow.org.uk
>> tow.org.uk mail is handled by 20 mail2.tow.org.uk
>>

> And what's the problem? He doesn't use www, mail or mail2 as hostnames for
> his LAN. His LAN hosts are D2400, E50, J205, A50 and A31. IMHO it doesn't
> matter that they can't be reached from the outside world.
>

> Nils

I just want to know how you came across this knowledge. If it's a LAN,
how did you (without explicit perms from the owner) dive in and discover
this?

Just busting balls here. If you got in,.......