Old 12-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Kailesh Mussai

Default Pen drive size to put Ubuntu on

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:10:04PM +0100, Computer assistance to Akatsi District project Ghana wrote:

> Hello
>
> My mother has a really slow P4 1,5 ghz XP computer. I wanted to give here a pen
> drive with Ubuntu on for Christmas, so that she can have a fast computer igain.
> When you have installed ubuntu, there is a option to put it on a pendrive
> rigth? Is i difficult to get to work?
>
> And how big should the pendrive be? I dont want to use so much mony on it,
> because i also want to buy her a LCD screen.
>
> In advanced
> Thank you for any help
>
> Robert Riksheim
> --
> Please keep message text when replying
> Computer assistance Akatsi
> http://computeraid.zapto.org
> Mob: (0047) 47466352
> (00233) 247005311 Christian (in Ghana)
> (00233) 247893430 Robert (in Ghana)
> E-mail: mailto:ghana.computeraid@online.no
> Address: Robert Riksheim
> Gamleveien 204 3530 RYSE NORWAY

+-------------------

I believe you want to put the ubuntu ISO (live CD) onto the pendrive.
If that is the case, you'll need around 700MB of space, most pendrive
now comes with 2Gig and plus.

The software should be found under System-->Administration-->Create a
USB...

Another tool that can be used is unetbootin

They are pretty straightforward tools to use.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:55 PM
"Sandy Harris"

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Computer assistance to Akatsi
District project Ghana <ghana.computeraid@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> My mother has a really slow P4 1,5 ghz XP computer. I wanted to give here a
> pen drive with Ubuntu on for Christmas, so that she can have a fast computer
> igain. When you have installed ubuntu, there is a option to put it on a
> pendrive rigth? Is i difficult to get to work?
>
> And how big should the pendrive be? I dont want to use so much mony on it,
> because i also want to buy her a LCD screen.

I installed Xubuntu 7.04, 7.10 and 8.04 on a pen drive. With Firefox,
Open Office,
various other things, but no server software and no other big packages. All came
out about 1.5 gigs. That's Xubuntu with XFCE as the window manager rather
than Gnome; I do not know how much that saves.

4 gigs is plenty. In China, 4 gig USB are under $10 s that's what I'd use. YMMV

--
Sandy Harris,
Quanzhou, Fujian, China

Old 12-11-2008, 03:07 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/12/11 Computer assistance to Akatsi District project Ghana
<ghana.computeraid@gmail.com>:
> Hello
>
> My mother has a really slow P4 1,5 ghz XP computer. I wanted to give here a
> pen drive with Ubuntu on for Christmas, so that she can have a fast computer
> igain. When you have installed ubuntu, there is a option to put it on a
> pendrive rigth? Is i difficult to get to work?
>
> And how big should the pendrive be? I dont want to use so much mony on it,
> because i also want to buy her a LCD screen.
>
> In advanced
> Thank you for any help
>
> Robert Riksheim

While your goal is noble, your way is wrong.

You will not make her Windows XP computer faster by installing Ubuntu
on a pen drive for her. If you want her to have a more responsive
computer, then an Ubuntu insallation on the hard disk _may_ be more
responsive than XP on the same hardware. Maybe not. And an Ubuntu
installation booting from a USB drive will _not_ be more responsive
than a properly configured Windows XP installation.

Either fix her Windows installation or install Ubuntu on the hard drive.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 12-11-2008, 03:27 PM
"Haneef Bashir"

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 7:07 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

2008/12/11 Computer assistance to Akatsi District project Ghana

<ghana.computeraid@gmail.com>:

> Hello

> My mother has a really slow P4 1,5 ghz XP computer. I wanted to give here a

> pen drive with Ubuntu on for Christmas, so that she can have a fast computer

> igain. When you have installed ubuntu, there is a option to put it on a

> pendrive rigth? Is i difficult to get to work?
-----snip-------
from what i know there in no option for pendive* installation, however u can use a program called unebootin to install it on a usb drive. i suggest using no less then 2G, i personally had problem getting it to work on a 1G but Xubuntu was able to work on the 1G im pretty sure it had something to do with* the size (Xubuntu's iso image being smaller than Ubuntu's)

Old 12-11-2008, 03:58 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/12/11 Haneef Bashir <darkfena313@gmail.com>:
> from what i know there in no option for pendive installation, however u can
> use a program called unebootin to install it on a usb drive. i suggest using
> no less then 2G, i personally had problem getting it to work on a 1G but
> Xubuntu was able to work on the 1G im pretty sure it had something to do
> with the size (Xubuntu's iso image being smaller than Ubuntu's)

Haneef:
1) Please do not post in HTML
2) Please do not use 1337 speak or txt spk.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 12-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Nils Kassube

Computer assistance to Akatsi District project Ghana wrote:
> My mother has a really slow P4 1,5 ghz XP computer. I wanted to give
> here a pen drive with Ubuntu on for Christmas, so that she can have a
> fast computer igain.

First of all, check if that machine can boot from USB. Not every machine
can do that.

> When you have installed ubuntu, there is a option
> to put it on a pendrive rigth? Is i difficult to get to work?

Use the install CD and install directly to the USB stick connected to your
machine. I don't know if it is easily possible from within an installed
system. I did it with VirtualBox when I didn't have a spare machine (but
you need the PUEL version of VirtualBox to use USB). The USB stick now
works on both my machines which can boot from USB.

> And how big should the pendrive be?

I have installed Kubuntu 8.10 with only a few extra applications. The used
disk space is 2.6GB.

> I dont want to use so much mony on
> it, because i also want to buy her a LCD screen.

I don't know what type of LCD screen you intend to buy, but maybe you
could find a netbook for a similar price. That might be an alternative to
the XP machine.

Nils

Old 12-11-2008, 10:57 PM
"Sandy Harris"

Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

>> My mother has a really slow P4 1,5 ghz XP computer. I wanted to give here a
>> pen drive with Ubuntu on for Christmas, so that she can have a fast computer
>> igain. ...

> While your goal is noble, your way is wrong.
>
> You will not make her Windows XP computer faster by installing Ubuntu
> on a pen drive for her. If you want her to have a more responsive
> computer, then an Ubuntu insallation on the hard disk _may_ be more
> responsive than XP on the same hardware. Maybe not. And an Ubuntu
> installation booting from a USB drive will _not_ be more responsive
> than a properly configured Windows XP installation.
>
> Either fix her Windows installation or install Ubuntu on the hard drive.

Dotan's right. Flash is faster than disk down at the underlying device
level, but a USB stick is much slower than a hard drive. Even a hard
drive is noticeably slower with a USB interface than in the machine.

One solution would be to use a USB stick to back up her important
files, then wipe XP (make sure you have an XP disk to re-install in
case she does not like Linux!), install Ubuntu, and add her files.

Have you got a spare disk, maybe in another older machine? If so,
another solution is to put that in her machine, giving you space to
install Ubuntu without destroying her XP. I'd say this is preferable
if it is possible. If it turns out she loves Ubuntu, you can always
re-format the XP drive later.

Buy her a disk? Or buy yourself one and give her your old one?
If her machine has IDE (parallel ATA) drives, switching to SATA
will give a significant speed boost. For some older machines,
you'd need to add a SATA controller; those are cheap.

In any case, consider Xubuntu instead of standard Ubuntu. It
uses a diffeent window manager, smaller and lighter.

--
Sandy Harris,
Quanzhou, Fujian, China

Old 12-12-2008, 03:22 AM
NoOp

On 12/11/2008 03:10 AM, Computer assistance to Akatsi District project
Ghana wrote:
> Hello
>
> My mother has a really slow P4 1,5 ghz XP computer. I wanted to give here a
> pen drive with Ubuntu on for Christmas, so that she can have a fast computer
> igain. When you have installed ubuntu, there is a option to put it on a
> pendrive rigth? Is i difficult to get to work?
>
> And how big should the pendrive be? I dont want to use so much mony on it,
> because i also want to buy her a LCD screen.
>
> In advanced
> Thank you for any help
>
> Robert Riksheim

Three points:

1.5Ghz is not slow. Buy her as much memory as the computer can safely
hold, and clean up her WinXP installation. You'll find that by doing
that her WinXP will run just fine.

2. If you don't have a second hard drive, but do have at least 10GB of
room or more on the single hard drive I'd recommend that you either: 1)
install Ubuntu on a second partition and dual boot, or install Ubuntu
from within Windows using the Wubi installer. If you do have a second
hard drive in the computer install Ubuntu on that.

3. Introducing her to Ubuntu via a pen drive is, IMO, a recipe for
failure... There are just too many things that can go wrong, and after
you leave she'll more than likely just pull the drive out and go back to
what she is comfortable with.

Do #1 above and more than likely she'll be fine for another 3-4 months.
Do #2 above only if you are prepared to spend time with her showing her
how to use Ubuntu, and boot back into WinXP when she wants.