Old 12-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Christopher J Combrink

Default out of the blue, one day I cannot boot into ubuntu, help needed!

lots..

but an easy reach-around would be to do a recovery installation. (same
menu as your live CD Grub)

Old 12-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Shuanghe

2008/12/10 Christopher J Combrink <chris@riply.co.za>

lots..

but an easy reach-around would be to do a recovery installation. (same

menu as your live CD Grub)

*Thank, Christopher. But for a newbie, your answer is too... Can you be more specific? How should I do recovery installation? I'm afraid I don't have separate /home partition. and I have lots of data in /home/myname..... as well as in sdb.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Shuanghe

by the way, I installed the system using alternative CD since I wanted
to try LVM. in the worst scenario, if i reinstall the system but
without format sdb (at least i can save some data in this way, i
guess), should I using alternative CD as well? or I can use live cd?

if there's a way to mount the disks when I use live CD, could anyone
please so kind to tell me how?

thanks a lot.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Shuanghe wrote:
> by the way, I installed the system using alternative CD since I wanted
> to try LVM. in the worst scenario, if i reinstall the system but
> without format sdb (at least i can save some data in this way, i
> guess), should I using alternative CD as well? or I can use live cd?
>
> if there's a way to mount the disks when I use live CD, could anyone
> please so kind to tell me how?
>
> thanks a lot.
>
> On 10/12/2008, Shuanghe <tworiversfolk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2008/12/10 Christopher J Combrink <chris@riply.co.za>
>>

>>> lots..
>>>
>>> but an easy reach-around would be to do a recovery installation. (same
>>> menu as your live CD Grub)
>>>

>> Thank, Christopher. But for a newbie, your answer is too... Can you be more
>> specific? How should I do recovery installation? I'm afraid I don't have
>> separate /home partition. and I have lots of data in /home/myname..... as
>> well as in sdb.
My guess is that a grub reinstall could restore your system. Try
googling for "grub reinstall".

If you can run the Live CD, (desktop, not alternate) this means you have
no hardware trouble and should be able to mount any partition from the
Gnome Desktop, with "sudo mount". Any doubt please check "man mount".

As last resort if you still have unpartitioned space in one of your
disks or can get some space by changing the sizes of the existing
partitions you could always use this new space to install another
instance of Ubuntu and from it access the rest of the system.

Regards,

L.