Old 12-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Shuanghe

Default out of the blue, one day I cannot boot into ubuntu, help needed!

Hi all,

I had Ubuntu 8.10 install on my PC and it work well until a couple of day ago I suddenly couldn't boot to ubuntu (hadn't done anything special before the accident except entering windows for a couple of hours game).

here's my config of 2-hard disk PC, sda and sdb

1st disk:

sda1, 50GB, windows XP (for games)
sda2, ext2, 250MB as /boot
the rest of the 1st disk use LVM
sda3 extended, sda5 LVM as /

grub was installed in MBR

2nd disk:

sdb5 LVM, used as data backup

when the power buttoned was pushed I can see grub menu and i can boot into windows for games, however, I couldn't boot ubuntu.

now I'm use Ubuntu 8.10 live CD and tried to mount these 2 disks for data backup but couldn't. well, I can mount sda1 and sda2 but it didn't help since my data is somewhere else.

root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# mount /dev/sda5

mount: can't find /dev/sda5 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# mount /dev/sda5 /home/ubuntu/mount/sda5/
mount: unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu#

any thing I can do to save my precious data? many thanks!

(If more information is needed, can you guys tell me the command and I can paste the output. I'm a command newbie. :-0)