Old 12-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Christoph Bier

Default how to rename, copy file from one location to another

dwain schrieb:
> i am beginning a notebook on how to do things in ubuntu. i would
> appreciate some help.
>
> i need to rename a directory and copy another directory within my
> /home. i am also copying my thunderbird profile from the windows
> version into the tbird directory. i have the path where to copy.
>
> remember, i'm a babe lost in the woods when it comes to the command
> line. i also need to do this from root?

Why do you want to use the command line for this task? You can do it
with Nautilus. Usually you don't need root privileges for file
operations in your home directory.

But if you like to learn the CLI: Use mv for renaming and cp for copying.

mv <source> <destination>
cp <source> <destination>

For copying directories you need the option r:

cp -r <source> <destination>

> would someone show me how to do this, so i can add the code to my notebook?

If you need more information about these two tools just type

man cp

or

man mv

resp. in the command line.

Best
Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://zvisionwelt.de/downloads.html (1.6)

Old 12-10-2008, 01:37 PM
dwain

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Christoph Bier <christoph.bier@web.de> wrote:
> Why do you want to use the command line for this task? You can do it
> with Nautilus. Usually you don't need root privileges for file
> operations in your home directory.

how do i get to nautilis? is it an extra that i need to install?
thanks for the command line operations below and the added bonus of
reading the man pages.

cheers,
dwain

> But if you like to learn the CLI: Use mv for renaming and cp for copying.
>
> mv <source> <destination>
> cp <source> <destination>
>
> For copying directories you need the option r:
>
> cp -r <source> <destination>
>
>> would someone show me how to do this, so i can add the code to my notebook?
>
> If you need more information about these two tools just type
>
> man cp
>
> or
>
> man mv
>
> resp. in the command line.
>
> Best
> Christoph
> --
> +++ Typografie-Regeln: http://zvisionwelt.de/downloads.html (1.6)

"Fear of the devil is one way of doubting God. " - Kahlil Gibran

Old 12-11-2008, 07:34 AM
Christoph Bier

dwain schrieb:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Christoph Bier <christoph.bier@web.de> wrote:
>> Why do you want to use the command line for this task? You can do it
>> with Nautilus. Usually you don't need root privileges for file
>> operations in your home directory.
>
> how do i get to nautilis? is it an extra that i need to install? [...]

As Johann already wrote: it's GNOME's default file manager. You start it
by clicking one of the entries below "Places" in the GNOME panel. Here
are some helpful links:
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/newtoubuntu/C/index.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/files-and-docs/C/index.html

Best