Old 12-10-2008, 10:10 AM
dwain

Default how to rename, copy file from one location to another

i am beginning a notebook on how to do things in ubuntu. i would
appreciate some help.

i need to rename a directory and copy another directory within my
/home. i am also copying my thunderbird profile from the windows
version into the tbird directory. i have the path where to copy.

remember, i'm a babe lost in the woods when it comes to the command
line. i also need to do this from root?

would someone show me how to do this, so i can add the code to my notebook?

cheers,
dwain

--
"Fear of the devil is one way of doubting God. " - Kahlil Gibran

Old 12-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Johann Spies

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 05:10:18AM -0600, dwain wrote:
> i am beginning a notebook on how to do things in ubuntu. i would
> appreciate some help.
>
> i need to rename a directory and copy another directory within my
> /home. i am also copying my thunderbird profile from the windows
> version into the tbird directory. i have the path where to copy.
>
> remember, i'm a babe lost in the woods when it comes to the command
> line. i also need to do this from root?
>
> would someone show me how to do this, so i can add the code to my notebook?

To rename or move or copy a directory that belongs to you can be done
without being root as long as the destination also belongs to you or
are writable by you.

If you are "a babe lost in the woods when it comes to the command
line" does that mean you don't want to learn how to use it?

Anyhow, you can use nautilus (gnome's default file manager) to do it
also. Just right-click on the directory and there is an option
"Rename" which you can use. Or drag and drop (or cut and paste) it to
move it or copy and paste it to copy it.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of
God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice,
holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable
service." Romans 12:1