Old 12-10-2008, 07:45 AM
Hubertus Hiden

Default Help me switch a friend to Ubuntu please

Hello,

in the past I've managed to convert a lot of my friends from Windows to
Ubuntu users.
But in one case I got stuck somehow. The problem is Rhythmbox. My friend
has 2 USB Harddisks both filled with a few 10.000 songs. Both HDs have
been imported into the player. But everytime a disk gets
diconnected/connected the songs are moved in/out of "unavailable songs".
This procedure takes about 20 minutes.
Does anybody know of a music player that handles this situation better ?
Or can Rythmbox be tweaked in some way ?

Many thanks for any response,
Hubertus

Old 12-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Christopher J Combrink

Amarok

Old 12-10-2008, 09:04 AM
"Anthony M. Rasat"

>Does anybody know of a music player that handles this situation better ?
>Or can Rythmbox be tweaked in some way ?

Banshee works. I have several hundreds MP3s in my flash drive and everytime I want to play some MP3s in my netbook, I stick the flash drive and fire up Banshee.

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Barat 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465
Web http://www.jpnn.com

Old 12-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Knapp

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Anthony M. Rasat
<anthony.rasat@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Does anybody know of a music player that handles this situation better ?
>>Or can Rythmbox be tweaked in some way ?
>
> Banshee works. I have several hundreds MP3s in my flash drive and everytime I want to play some MP3s in my netbook, I stick the flash drive and fire up Banshee.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony M. Rasat

In the settings of Amarok you can pick which kind of database it uses.
I would think that the problem is that the program you are using was
not made for that sort of volume (as in number of) songs and is
getting overloaded or you are running out of memory and using the swap
disk. Amarok has three to pick from. I use postgreSQL but you should
make sure you understand how to use them. I am not sure if it sets
that up itself.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=a s2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FF E

Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 AM
dwain

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 2:45 AM, Hubertus Hiden <hubertus@hiden.org> wrote:
> Does anybody know of a music player that handles this situation better ?
> Or can Rythmbox be tweaked in some way ?

have you tried vlc? http://www.videolan.org/

cheers,
dwain
--
"Fear of the devil is one way of doubting God. " - Kahlil Gibran