Old 12-10-2008, 07:07 AM
"Amichai Rotman"

Default Strange HDD behavior?

Hello all,

I had some electrical problems at my house lately, so I had a few power outages.

Now all is OK, but I noticed my Kubuntu 8.04.1 box's HDD led is blinking franticly for ours.

I ran the top command and I see 'kjournald' is high on the list, often at the top of it...

Is something wrong?

What should I do to find out what's it doing?

Please help! I worry the HDD is about to die!

Thanks!
.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

UIN#: 6401746

PLEASE READ: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Old 12-10-2008, 12:51 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 3:07 AM, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:

> Now all is OK, but I noticed my Kubuntu 8.04.1 box's HDD led is blinking
> franticly for ours.

Is that for hours?

> I ran the top command and I see 'kjournald' is high on the list, often at
> the top of it...

kjournald is related to the journal for ext3. What do you see in
/var/log/messages or syslog?

To do a quick hard drive health check you could also install
smartmontools and run sudo smartctl -AH /dev/sda
Note that SMART isn't perfect - in my experience a drive marked bad is
going to die, but a drive that it says is ok could still have issues.

Brian

Old 12-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Shizzle Cash

On 12/10/08 7:51 AM, Brian McKee wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 3:07 AM, Amichai Rotman<amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
>
>> Now all is OK, but I noticed my Kubuntu 8.04.1 box's HDD led is blinking
>> franticly for ours.
>>

> Is that for hours?
>

>> I ran the top command and I see 'kjournald' is high on the list, often at
>> the top of it...
>>

> kjournald is related to the journal for ext3. What do you see in
> /var/log/messages or syslog?
>

> To do a quick hard drive health check you could also install
> smartmontools and run sudo smartctl -AH /dev/sda
> Note that SMART isn't perfect - in my experience a drive marked bad is
> going to die, but a drive that it says is ok could still have issues.
>
> Brian

I can definitely vouch for the last statement about a SMART tool stating
a drive is OK, but in reality it is not. As an anecdote, I recently had
to RMA one of my hard drives. It is a Western Digital, only ~ 2 years
old that wound up exhibiting the "click of death". It had momentarily
performed the click during an earlier reboot, but I was able to get the
drive up. After that episode, I downloaded WD's hard drive check tool
and checked the SMART status and also performed the "quick" test (which
checks for everything except for bad sectors). The utility gave the
drive a clean bill of health. I backed up the data anyhow, and on the
next reboot, the drive was dead for good.

So, yes, if a SMART utility deems a drive is bad, it almost certainly
is. But, if it says a drive is OK, it might not actually be OK. It
should only be one of many tools in your trouble-shooting arsenal.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:05 AM
NoOp

On 12/10/2008 12:07 AM, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I had some electrical problems at my house lately, so I had a few power
> outages.
>
> Now all is OK, but I noticed my Kubuntu 8.04.1 box's HDD led is blinking
> franticly for ours.
>
> I ran the top command and I see 'kjournald' is high on the list, often at
> the top of it...
>
> Is something wrong?
>
> What should I do to find out what's it doing?
>
> Please help! I worry the HDD is about to die!
>
> Thanks!

Download and burn Ultimateboot to a CD:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Also, in the repos (universe):