Old 12-10-2008, 06:19 AM
"Richard Brown"

Default Video Projector

Hi All

I am just about to purchase a video projector and I have to admit I
can see no reason why a video projector wouldn't work with Ubuntu...
but just in case has anybody had any experienced of running a Ubuntu
set-up and a video projector. Has anybody any thoughts on what
projector to buy. I was looking at this:
<http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VPL-ES5-Video-Projector/dp/B0016623T8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228834776&sr =8-1>

Thanks.
--
Kind regards
Rich

Old 12-10-2008, 11:26 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am just about to purchase a video projector and I have to admit I
> can see no reason why a video projector wouldn't work with Ubuntu...
> but just in case has anybody had any experienced of running a Ubuntu
> set-up and a video projector. Has anybody any thoughts on what
> projector to buy. I was looking at this:
> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VPL-ES5-Video-Projector/dp/B0016623T8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228834776&sr =8-1>
>
> Thanks.

I never used the one your going to buy but talking to a projector is
more a laptop hardware problem than operating system. That said I went
to meetings back in 1998 and later with a Red Hat version on the laptop
and it worked just fine on the $2000.00 projectors of that era.

Karl

Old 12-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Rashkae

Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am just about to purchase a video projector and I have to admit I
> can see no reason why a video projector wouldn't work with Ubuntu...
> but just in case has anybody had any experienced of running a Ubuntu
> set-up and a video projector. Has anybody any thoughts on what
> projector to buy. I was looking at this:
> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VPL-ES5-Video-Projector/dp/B0016623T8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228834776&sr =8-1>
>
> Thanks.

This is nothing related to Linux, but unless my budget was *very* tight,
I wouldn't buy another 800x600 resolution projector.. that's just too
small for most modern desktops. (And troublesome when people create PP
presentations on a larger screen only to find their text gets re-flowed
on the smaller screen.) Suggest looking for a 1024x768 minimum.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:13 AM
"Paul Johnson"

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 1:19 AM, Richard Brown <rich@cregy.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am just about to purchase a video projector and I have to admit I
> can see no reason why a video projector wouldn't work with Ubuntu...
> but just in case has anybody had any experienced of running a Ubuntu
> set-up and a video projector. Has anybody any thoughts on what
> projector to buy. I was looking at this:
> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VPL-ES5-Video-Projector/dp/B0016623T8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228834776&sr =8-1>

I find it is MUCH easier if the resolution of your computer matches
the resolution of your projector. If they are different, especially
if the projector is much lower in resolution, then it will look bad in
Linux.

Other posters have told you that this is not an operating system
problem, but they are not exactly giving the full story. It is not a
Linux kernel problem, but it IS a video driver problem, and there are
differences across video drivers in the quality of support they have
for video output.

Newer cards and Ubuntu will support the xrandr extension, which allows
you to interactively control the output on different devices. You can
see if you have it enabled by opening a terminal and typing

$ xrandr -q

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 175, current 1400 x 1050, maximum 1400 x 1050
default connected 1400x1050+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1400x1050 50.0* 51.0 52.0 53.0 54.0 55.0 56.0
1360x768 57.0 58.0
1280x1024 59.0 60.0 61.0
1280x960 62.0 63.0

You can read xrandr help pages, but basically the idea is that when
you plug in devices, they will show up in this listing as LCD1 or
whatever, and then you can tell them to "turn on" with a command like
this to turn on 2 outputs, the "default" and "VGA"

xrandr --output default --mode 1280x1024 --output VGA --mode 1024x768

It is a nice way to experiment, but I've not yet found a simple GUI
controller for it that will work on all video devices. Nvidia's
proprietary driver supplies a program "nvidia-settings" that is
somewhat like the MS Windows controller that can turn on and off the
external monitors. If that doesn't work, then you have to go old
school and use the TwinView configuation in xorg.conf if you have the
Nvidia card. On ATI cards, the output to the external device was
different.

If you could possibly test out the projector before you buy, you will
be happier. In almost all cases, I've found that I can get projectors
to work, but on some of the old/crappy projectors we are assigned
around the University, then there is trouble because the projector
cannot take the high resolution, high speed of a newer laptop. The
mismatch may be attributed to the poor drivers available for some
video cards in Linux. I wouldn't worry too much if you have a main
brand video card like Intel, Nvidia, or ATI. But if you have "Joes
House of Electrons" in your system, then you should be cautious. The
video modes of the laptop's output are controlled by the video driver,
and my experience is that the Linux drivers are not so well polished
as the Windows drivers. Maybe, since ATI and Intel are open to
community involvement, it is getting better for them. But on my Nvidia
systems, it's been an adventure. Luckily, Nvidia supplies a huge text
README file with tons of details and they have a very lively linux
forum where you can ask questions.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

Old 12-11-2008, 05:58 AM
"Richard Brown"

Hi All

2008/12/11 Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 1:19 AM, Richard Brown <rich@cregy.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I am just about to purchase a video projector and I have to admit I
>> can see no reason why a video projector wouldn't work with Ubuntu...
>> but just in case has anybody had any experienced of running a Ubuntu
>> set-up and a video projector. Has anybody any thoughts on what
>> projector to buy. I was looking at this:
>> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VPL-ES5-Video-Projector/dp/B0016623T8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228834776&sr =8-1>

Thanks for all the help on this one. Paul offered the tip of trying
before buying! I will try to do this and if I buy a projector post the
result here in case anyone else has a go.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:01 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Paul Johnson wrote:
> [...]
> around the University, then there is trouble because the projector
> cannot take the high resolution, high speed of a newer laptop. The
> mismatch may be attributed to the poor drivers available for some
> video cards in Linux. I wouldn't worry too much if you have a main
> brand video card like Intel, Nvidia, or ATI. But if you have "Joes
> House of Electrons" in your system, then you should be cautious. The
> video modes of the laptop's output are controlled by the video driver,
> and my experience is that the Linux drivers are not so well polished
> as the Windows drivers. Maybe, since ATI and Intel are open to
> community involvement, it is getting better for them. But on my Nvidia
> systems, it's been an adventure. Luckily, Nvidia supplies a huge text
> README file with tons of details and they have a very lively linux

Even my old 1995 laptop has a button that switches video to a 15 pin
video plug which you plug the viewer into. I was working then and used
Pentagon viewers and had 10 minutes to get it working. Then 152 stars
walked in and expected to be briefed.

I never failed to have a picture on the screen.

Karl

Old 12-11-2008, 06:42 PM
"Paul Johnson"

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 7:01 AM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Even my old 1995 laptop has a button that switches video to a 15 pin
> video plug which you plug the viewer into. I was working then and used
> Pentagon viewers and had 10 minutes to get it working. Then 152 stars
> walked in and expected to be briefed.
>
> I never failed to have a picture on the screen.
>
> Karl

Yes, it generally works better if the laptop is as old or older than
the projector. The other direction is where the danger lies. The
laptop video overpowers the projector specs.