Old 12-10-2008, 03:41 AM
user1

Default Full drive backup and P2V

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 22:12 -0600, Mark H. Nichols wrote:
> Greetings All -
>

> I've been dipping my toe in the Ubuntu pool via Wubi for several weeks
> now and I'm ready to abandon my XP setup and have just Ubuntu
> installed.
>

> I would like to do two things to move from XP to Ubuntu.
>

> First, I want to backup the entire drive. Using dd or rsync can I
> make a full disk image of the drive (to an external USB backup device)
> that could some day in the future be restored if I wanted? In other
> words, would I be returned to the XP + Wubi setup I have now? Would
> the command (dd or rsync or whatever) need to be run from a Live CD?

I suggest you to backup each partition to your external harddisk.

I use puppy as live cd, as I find it easy to use.

You can download a puppy iso image from here.

http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/official-releases

I would use puppy linux 4.1.1

You could also use a systemrescuecd

http://www.sysresccd.org/Download

The partition like "/dev/sda1" should not be mounted, but the external
harddisk should be mounted.

Here are an example of a partition (/dev/sda1):

dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/mnt/sdb1/imagename.img (backup)

dd if=/mnt/sdb1/imagename.img of=/dev/sda1 (restore)

Old 12-10-2008, 05:16 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Mark H. Nichols wrote:
> Greetings All -
>
> I've been dipping my toe in the Ubuntu pool via Wubi for several weeks
> now and I'm ready to abandon my XP setup and have just Ubuntu installed.
>
> I would like to do two things to move from XP to Ubuntu.
>
> First, I want to backup the entire drive. Using dd or rsync can I make
> a full disk image of the drive (to an external USB backup device) that
> could some day in the future be restored if I wanted?

You might have some issues doing a perfect rsync copy of the NTFS part.
I would recommend either backing up Win and Ubuntu separately (best) or
doing dd.

Using Wubi does complicate things, IMHO. E.g. don't use your NTFS
solution to bacup the Wubi file.

I would recommend doing a major restore (beyond user data) from a LiveCD.

Matt Flaschen

Old 12-10-2008, 06:20 AM
CLIFFORD ILKAY

Mark H. Nichols wrote:
> I would like to do a physical-to-virtual conversion of my
> existing XP system, and once Ubuntu is up and running as the OS, bring
> XP back as a virtual OS when desired.

1. Move all the data out of Windows to some other machine, Windows or
Linux, it doesn't matter.

2. Install the VMWare Converter in Windows XP.

3. Convert the existing Windows XP installation to a virtual machine
image that can be run in various VMWare products. You'll need more free
disk space than you have but you can probably store the virtual machine
image on an external drive attached via USB.

4. To be on the safe side, dd your Windows drive to another drive.

5. Do a fresh installation of Linux on your machine that is currently
running Windows.

6. Install the appropriate VMWare product for your situation and attempt
to run the VMWare Windows XP image you had previously created. You'll be
prompted to activate Windows. Until you're sure that it is working to
your satisfaction, don't. You have 30 days to do it.

7. For best results, you should install the VMWare tools in Windows.

8. You can share files between Windows running in VMWare and your Linux
host via Samba.

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis
1419-3266 Yonge St.