Old 12-10-2008, 03:12 AM
"Mark H. Nichols"

Default Full drive backup and P2V

Greetings All -*
I've been dipping my toe in the Ubuntu pool via Wubi for several weeks now and I'm ready to abandon my XP setup and have just Ubuntu installed.
I would like to do two things to move from XP to Ubuntu.
First, I want to backup the entire drive. *Using dd or rsync can I make a full disk image of the drive (to an external USB backup device) that could some day in the future be restored if I wanted? *In other words, would I be returned to the XP + Wubi setup I have now? *Would the command (dd or rsync or whatever) need to be run from a Live CD?

Second, I would like to do a physical-to-virtual conversion of my existing XP system, and once Ubuntu is up and running as the OS, bring XP back as a virtual OS when desired. *My hard drive is limited in size however, as it has an 80 GB capacity, and it currently holds 70+ GB of data. *I don't have restore disks for this machine, nor do I have access to an XP CD, so virtualization is my only path to retaining XP for posterity.
Can I create the virtual image to a USB drive? *I am hoping that I can selectively virtualize the XP system - I really only want the OS and installed programs. *Any data will be backup and deleted prior to the virtualization, and would be re-introduced to the Ubuntu file system as needed or desired.

Mark--*Nothing is impossible if you don't know what you are doing.