Old 12-10-2008, 12:36 AM
steve

Default Pay it forward - 'Giving' Ubuntu to Windows Users

NoOp wrote:

> This year I've two "Santa" systems restored from the recycle bin: a
> 1.8Ghz/768Mb w/dual 40GB drives, and a 2.4Ghz/512Mb w/dual 40GB drives
> that are cleaned, primed, tested, and ready for wrapping. One even
> includes my old, but very good 17' Hitachi 641 monitor with it as my
> wife found me a used Dell 1800fp 18' for $50 (that's my Xmas present
> :-). While the Hitachi is only 17' (15.5' viewable), it's .24dpi is
> professional quality and very easy on old eyes.
> Both will include 6 months free tech support.

what a great idea gary! it just so happens that the new box Im building
for my youngest boy for christmas will leave a perfectly capable msi
mobo, sempron powered box that he plans on helping me wipe clean and
install mythbuntu on for one of his buddies. you wouldnt believe his
friends stand in amazement when I show off our ubuntu/mythtv box we have
in the living room pumping all its power to a 42" lcd. Apparently we're
the "cool" house on the block.

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

Old 12-10-2008, 12:38 AM
NoOp

On 12/09/2008 05:24 PM, David Fox wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 5:11 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Some of you may recall that last year about this time I cobbled together
>> a recycled system, loaded Ubuntu on it, and ended up giving it to a
>> local teenager for Christmas. Happily, the kid (and his family) are
>
> Do you have a county computer recycling center (or school district) in
> your area that might have use for them?
>
> More likely #2 than #1, but I live in the South Bay Area CA and
> there's the Alameda County Computer Recycling Center (accrc.org) -
> they do this sort of thing all the time, and look for donated
> equipment to give to lower income families. Additionally from time to
> time there are events with shelters in the area to evangelize Linux in
> general (and sometimes Ubuntu) to lower-income families who don't want
> to or can't afford proprietary solutions.

Actually, I got the two systems that I've prepared from a recycled bunch
that was thrown out for trash. I'm aware of the Alameda center (I'm
about 40 miles south) & think that they are fantastic! However I think
that they load Windows on them, so starting last year I gave one with
Ubuntu & free support as my own 'personal' project. The kid I gave the
system to last year was in the 'very-low-income' category and they had
no computer at all. The systems for this year will be pretty much the
same. The experience has been so cool that I hope to make it an annual
tradition.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:04 AM
Steven Davies-Morris

NoOp wrote:
> [...]
> together a recycled system, loaded Ubuntu on it, and ended up
> giving it to a local teenager for Christmas. Happily, the kid (and
> his family) are still using it (I checked on them on this month),
> and I think I've received only a couple of calls for help over the
> course of nearly 1 year.
>
> This year I've two "Santa" systems restored from the recycle bin: a
> 1.8Ghz/768Mb w/dual 40GB drives, and a 2.4Ghz/512Mb w/dual 40GB
> drives that are cleaned, primed, tested, and ready for wrapping.
> One even includes my old, but very good 17' Hitachi 641 monitor
> with it as my wife found me a used Dell 1800fp 18' for $50 (that's
> my Xmas present :-). While the Hitachi is only 17' (15.5'
> viewable), it's .24dpi is professional quality and very easy on old
> eyes. Both will include 6 months free tech support.
>
> A reminder; with the economy in the tank worldwide, now might be a
> good time to dust off a workable system that you have in the back
> room (desktop or even a laptop with a worn out battery), clean it
> up, load Ubuntu on it, test it, and give it to someone near you
> that can't afford a system. Also, some folks still can afford a new
> system, so check with your friends & neighbors to see if they are
> throwing out a perfectly linux/Ubuntu usable system to replace
> their shiny new Vista ready system that they buy for their kid or
> themselves. Most don't want to pay a recycle fee, so they might
> just be willing to give you their old one.
>
> However, just as last year, I want to remind those that follow my
> suggestion; be _sure_ to include _free_ tech support for at least 6
> months with the system that you give. As evidenced by all of the
> postings here, and on the beginners forums, for even the most basic
> advise, your gift will soon be another box in the garage if you
> aren't willing to give some support time along with it. So _give_
> some _time_ along with the hardware and your gift will be put to
> good use.
>
> Had a bit of a chuckle a few weeks ago during US Thanksgiving...
> went to my mother-in-law's home (she's 86) and discovered my 19
> year old nephew and his girlfriend in the back room surfing the
> internet & watching football on the PC. I asked him how the system
> was & he replied that it was just fine. Now this is a kid that has
> a gaming system with all the bells & whistles, yet he was quite
> happy using the PC. You should have seen his face when I told him
> that the system (one that I installed for my mother-in-law's live
> in nurse) is only a 600Mhz/448Mb system running Ubuntu! Now
> obviously had he decided to do any heavy lifting in OpenOffice,
> playing games or such, he wouldn't have replied the same. But it
> was nice to know that a crappy old 600Mhz machine with limited
> memory and Ubuntu was doing just fine for a teenager browsing the
> internet away from the boring 'old folks' during Thanksgiving :-)
>
> Happy Holidays to all, and to all may your xorg.conf always work on

I'm motivated, Gary! I have four systems that I'm doing exactly this
with, though I must confess one of them will be going out with my old
copy of WinXP as a dual boot. To a fellow geek (Windows) looking to
learn a bit about Ubuntu.

They're all quite decent systems with life in them that will do good
work for some time to come -- as long as the recipients don't plan on
playing the latest 3D graphics games or anything else that your local
Windows reseller *cough*Frys*cough* would recommend Vista + a dual
core + 4gb DDR2 to accomplish!

I used one of them for a few years as my main DAW for the Systems
Theory project, and another was the Linux dbms server in the largest
dry cleaner in Los Angeles (supporting 24 Esprit stations/PCs) until
last summer. So they have plenty of disk space.

The other two were my sons' WinXP PCs. Which eventually came to be
upgraded by the trickle down laws of systems integration...lord these
very nice cherried-and-maxed-out Vista machines fell from the sky and
they may as well go to two lads who are bugging the hell out of dad
for "bigger, faster and shinier". They'll want cars next...

I also have a few other older boxes in various states of disrepair. I
probably won't get to them until the new year. But I know they'll make
perfectly acceptable Linux-based "browser+email" machines once dusted
off. Maybe the community center run by the Church that sponsors my
sons' scout troop. Or some equivalent place that could put them to
work.

And my wife will be pleased to get some of the space back in our
family room area. :-) Which is a win all by itself.
NP: nothing

Old 12-10-2008, 01:13 AM
"David Fox"

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 5:38 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Actually, I got the two systems that I've prepared from a recycled bunch
> that was thrown out for trash. I'm aware of the Alameda center (I'm
> about 40 miles south) & think that they are fantastic! However I think

I was at one of their recycle events back in March of this year, and
along with a bunch of volunteers we got Ubuntu installed on a few
hundred donated systems. So they are very much about putting free
software on the machines.

It was hosted at Untangle in San Mateo along with a number of other
partner sites that same day. (Andrew Fife of Untangle is president of
our local silicon Valley LUG too).

Old 12-10-2008, 01:18 AM
Steven Davies-Morris

steve wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> This year I've two "Santa" systems restored from the recycle bin:
>> a 1.8Ghz/768Mb w/dual 40GB drives, and a 2.4Ghz/512Mb w/dual 40GB
>> drives that are cleaned, primed, tested, and ready for wrapping.
>> One even includes my old, but very good 17' Hitachi 641 monitor
>> with it as my wife found me a used Dell 1800fp 18' for $50
>> (that's my Xmas present :-). While the Hitachi is only 17' (15.5'
>> viewable), it's .24dpi is professional quality and very easy on
>> old eyes. Both will include 6 months free tech support.
>
> what a great idea gary! it just so happens that the new box Im
> building for my youngest boy for christmas will leave a perfectly
> capable msi mobo, sempron powered box that he plans on helping me
> wipe clean and install mythbuntu on for one of his buddies. you
> wouldnt believe his friends stand in amazement when I show off our
> ubuntu/mythtv box we have in the living room pumping all its power
> to a 42" lcd. Apparently we're the "cool" house on the block.

I hear you loud and clear! Mythbuntu is my next pet computer project.
I did a Windows based media center a few years ago which was OK, but
it wound up being scrapped. I'm now really keen to take an extra AMD
5000/2gb ECS mobo I have on my shelves and do something constructive
with it. I've acquired every episode of a long-running English TV show
about an Irish female medical examiner/professor. In mkv format. I had
thought about converting them to DVD but when I figured out how much
work it would be I decided now was the time for the Mythbuntu cavalry
to ride to the rescue! And of course I can use it for watching all
kinds of sports stuff from the comfort of my sofa that right now I
view on my PC from the back-aching discomfort of my office chair. :-)
NP: nothing

Old 12-10-2008, 01:21 AM
Steven Davies-Morris

David Fox wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 5:38 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Actually, I got the two systems that I've prepared from a
>> recycled bunch that was thrown out for trash. I'm aware of the
>> Alameda center (I'm about 40 miles south) & think that they are
>> fantastic! However I think
>
> I was at one of their recycle events back in March of this year,
> and along with a bunch of volunteers we got Ubuntu installed on a
> few hundred donated systems. So they are very much about putting
> free software on the machines.
>
> It was hosted at Untangle in San Mateo along with a number of other
> partner sites that same day. (Andrew Fife of Untangle is president
> of our local silicon Valley LUG too).

[applause] That's fantastic. Great to see that perfectly good computer
equipment can live on doing something productive instead of becoming
landfill just because some company's newest bloatVare has made it
obsolete before it has naturally expired.
NP: nothing

Old 12-10-2008, 01:37 AM
NoOp

On 12/09/2008 06:13 PM, David Fox wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 5:38 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Actually, I got the two systems that I've prepared from a recycled bunch
>> that was thrown out for trash. I'm aware of the Alameda center (I'm
>> about 40 miles south) & think that they are fantastic! However I think
>
> I was at one of their recycle events back in March of this year, and
> along with a bunch of volunteers we got Ubuntu installed on a few
> hundred donated systems. So they are very much about putting free
> software on the machines.
>
> It was hosted at Untangle in San Mateo along with a number of other
> partner sites that same day. (Andrew Fife of Untangle is president of
> our local silicon Valley LUG too).

Cool! I'll contact them and offer to donate time in the coming year. It
will get me out of the house (for a change), and helping with something
that I truely enjoy. Thanks very much for the added info!

Old 12-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Bart Silverstrim

David Fox wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 5:11 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Some of you may recall that last year about this time I cobbled together
>> a recycled system, loaded Ubuntu on it, and ended up giving it to a
>> local teenager for Christmas. Happily, the kid (and his family) are
>
> Do you have a county computer recycling center (or school district) in
> your area that might have use for them?

Just one side note about recycling to schools. Our school district does
this, and I've complained in the past about schools being underfunded
and understaffed as it is...but the number one problem we've seen with
recycled systems is hard drive failure. Recycle systems, but small new
hard drives are appreciated if possible, because some forget that
support and time *do* equate to money as someone has to support them,
and it's a time blaster to keep shuffling systems around because of
drive failures occurring within weeks of deployment and I'm sure it's
worse as an issue if you are gifting a recycled system to an individual
and their data goes to the bit bucket in the process.

Hard drives can go anytime, but statistically speaking we've seen a high
failure of hard drives (20, 40, 60, 80 gig, often six or seven years
old) from recycled systems.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Derek Broughton

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> David Fox wrote:
>>
>> Do you have a county computer recycling center (or school district)
>> in your area that might have use for them?
>
> Just one side note about recycling to schools. Our school district
> does this, and I've complained in the past about schools being
> underfunded and understaffed as it is...but the number one problem
> we've seen with recycled systems is hard drive failure.
> Hard drives can go anytime, but statistically speaking we've seen a
> high failure of hard drives (20, 40, 60, 80 gig, often six or seven
> years old) from recycled systems.

Wouldn't it make sense to just _always_ install new drives? I'm
convinced that drive manufacturers carefully keep quality control to the
point that most drives just barely outlive their warranties - the number
of recently out-of-warranty failures I've had is astonishing, so you can
pretty much expect that a drive in any recycled system is at end-of-life
unless it's already been replaced.
--
derek

Old 12-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Wouldn't it make sense to just _always_ install new drives?

Depends on the situation which I won't get into on a public archive. I
was bringing it up as something that surprisingly enough most don't seem
to think of when getting warm fuzzies for doing good for someone else,
especially when the recycled system is equated with free and new hard
drives are not free and really new drives may not work on old hardware
from BIOS limitations.