Old 12-09-2008, 11:37 PM
squareyes

Default Lenovo 3000 n200 optical drive problems

Hi all,
does anyone on this list a fully functional Lenovo 3000 n200 laptop?
Mine has never had a properly working optical drive. Will install
operating systems then doesn't exist in either Win XP or Ubuntu.
Been in touch with Lenovo techs a number of times, different answers
each time.
1.Update bios
2.Install Win XP drivers (Don't seem to be any)
3.Sent me a new drive same problems (Sent it back)
4.My fault as original image not still on machine, sent me Recovery CD's
Won't recover, Vista gets to welcome page then shuts down in a loop.
5. Sent machine to Lenovo, was told nothing wrong with it, but at last
optical drive working. Shrunk Vista and installed Ubuntu 8.04, optical
drive now gone again, in both Vista and Ubuntu.
6. Rang Lenovo and was told optical drive will only work with Vista even
though they have for sale WinXP recovery CD's
As this is NOT mentioned at point of sale if indeed it is correct,
doesn't this breach anti trust laws?

Would be very interested to hear if anyone has one of these machines
working correctly, and if so,
just how did they get it working, or should we avoid this machine?
Lenovo forums seem to have numerous optical
drive problems listed.
Don't really want Vista, but will keep it if it means I can get Ubuntu
running successfully.

Many thanks in advance.
Take Care
Winton

Old 12-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Nigel Henry

On Wednesday 10 December 2008 01:37, squareyes wrote:
> Hi all,
> does anyone on this list a fully functional Lenovo 3000 n200 laptop?
> Mine has never had a properly working optical drive. Will install
> operating systems then doesn't exist in either Win XP or Ubuntu.
> Been in touch with Lenovo techs a number of times, different answers
> each time.
> 1.Update bios
> 2.Install Win XP drivers (Don't seem to be any)
> 3.Sent me a new drive same problems (Sent it back)
> 4.My fault as original image not still on machine, sent me Recovery CD's
> Won't recover, Vista gets to welcome page then shuts down in a loop.
> 5. Sent machine to Lenovo, was told nothing wrong with it, but at last
> optical drive working. Shrunk Vista and installed Ubuntu 8.04, optical
> drive now gone again, in both Vista and Ubuntu.
> 6. Rang Lenovo and was told optical drive will only work with Vista even
> though they have for sale WinXP recovery CD's
> As this is NOT mentioned at point of sale if indeed it is correct,
> doesn't this breach anti trust laws?
>
> Would be very interested to hear if anyone has one of these machines
> working correctly, and if so,
> just how did they get it working, or should we avoid this machine?
> Lenovo forums seem to have numerous optical
> drive problems listed.
> Don't really want Vista, but will keep it if it means I can get Ubuntu
> running successfully.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
> Take Care
> Winton

Hi Winton.

I've replied to you a few times when you last asked about the optical drive
problem.

On the face of it, it looks like Lenovo has done some sort of deal with
Microsoft, where the the only distro that will work on this machine is MS
Vista.

Assuming that you still have Vista installed, and is in the state that it was
when Lenovo returned the machine to you, with the optical drive working. How
about installing Ubuntu using Wubi.

I've never tried this, as I don't have a windows install, but try googling
Wubi.

The first hit I got was the one below.

http://wubi-installer.org/

You hopefully will have some success with this. At the same time I think that
it's obscene that the only distro you can use on the Lenovo 3000 n200 is
Windows Vista.

Just trying to help.

Nigel.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Lorenzo Luengo

squareyes escribió:
> Hi all,
> does anyone on this list a fully functional Lenovo 3000 n200 laptop?
> Mine has never had a properly working optical drive. Will install
> operating systems then doesn't exist in either Win XP or Ubuntu.
> Been in touch with Lenovo techs a number of times, different answers
> each time.
> 1.Update bios
> 2.Install Win XP drivers (Don't seem to be any)
> 3.Sent me a new drive same problems (Sent it back)
> 4.My fault as original image not still on machine, sent me Recovery CD's
> Won't recover, Vista gets to welcome page then shuts down in a loop.
> 5. Sent machine to Lenovo, was told nothing wrong with it, but at last
> optical drive working. Shrunk Vista and installed Ubuntu 8.04, optical
> drive now gone again, in both Vista and Ubuntu.
> 6. Rang Lenovo and was told optical drive will only work with Vista even
> though they have for sale WinXP recovery CD's
> As this is NOT mentioned at point of sale if indeed it is correct,
> doesn't this breach anti trust laws?

Have you tried upgrading/downgrading firmware for your drive? Once i had
a drive that didn't want to record any dvd, after upgrading firmware it did.

--
Lorenzo Luengo Contreras
Administrador de Sistemas DGEO

Old 12-10-2008, 08:20 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 December 2008 01:37, squareyes wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> does anyone on this list a fully functional Lenovo 3000 n200 laptop?
>> Mine has never had a properly working optical drive. Will install
>> operating systems then doesn't exist in either Win XP or Ubuntu.
>> Been in touch with Lenovo techs a number of times, different answers
>> each time.
>> 1.Update bios
>> 2.Install Win XP drivers (Don't seem to be any)
>> 3.Sent me a new drive same problems (Sent it back)
>> 4.My fault as original image not still on machine, sent me Recovery CD's
>> Won't recover, Vista gets to welcome page then shuts down in a loop.
>> 5. Sent machine to Lenovo, was told nothing wrong with it, but at last
>> optical drive working. Shrunk Vista and installed Ubuntu 8.04, optical
>> drive now gone again, in both Vista and Ubuntu.
>> 6. Rang Lenovo and was told optical drive will only work with Vista even
>> though they have for sale WinXP recovery CD's
>> As this is NOT mentioned at point of sale if indeed it is correct,
>> doesn't this breach anti trust laws?
>>
>> Would be very interested to hear if anyone has one of these machines
>> working correctly, and if so,
>> just how did they get it working, or should we avoid this machine?
>> Lenovo forums seem to have numerous optical
>> drive problems listed.
>> Don't really want Vista, but will keep it if it means I can get Ubuntu
>> running successfully.
>>
>> Many thanks in advance.
>> Take Care
>> Winton
>>

> Hi Winton.
>
> I've replied to you a few times when you last asked about the optical drive
> problem.
>
> On the face of it, it looks like Lenovo has done some sort of deal with
> Microsoft, where the the only distro that will work on this machine is MS
> Vista.
>
> Assuming that you still have Vista installed, and is in the state that it was
> when Lenovo returned the machine to you, with the optical drive working. How
> about installing Ubuntu using Wubi.
>
> I've never tried this, as I don't have a windows install, but try googling
> Wubi.
>
> The first hit I got was the one below.
>
> http://wubi-installer.org/
>
> You hopefully will have some success with this. At the same time I think that
> it's obscene that the only distro you can use on the Lenovo 3000 n200 is
> Windows Vista.
>
> Just trying to help.
>
> Nigel.
>
> Nigel it is bad all over. I bought a cheap laptop that turned out to be a HP and it had Vista on it. A fairly new Intel Mobile Video and 2 gb RAM and 160GB HD. I decided to put WindowsXP professional on it. It was a total flop. I skrewed up the file system and it was a mess!

The HP help told me the laptop doesn't have the "hooks" needed by
WindowsXP. I did load it on this computer and it loaded just fine. So I
know there is nothing wrong with the CD and it loads fine if no-one has
doctored the computer.

I had to load Invincible on the laptop because it has the better
video software for Intel Mobile and it is on the laptop working just
fine. HP had no comment about Linux working but were surprised I think.
They sent me a rescue CD with Vista free. It is always good to be nice
to the helpers :-)

I had to load Vista which ruined Invincible and then I re-did the
theft of 80 GB from the Vista partition. This put 80 GB unused between
/dev/sba1 and /dev/sda2. Had to move /dev/sda2 80 GB right so it is now
right beside /dev/sda1. Then reloaded Invincible and it is ready for at
least 3 more Linux versions

Vista now has the "legendary" file set working and it looks like
Windows 3.1 and the DOS window opens when it is loaded up.

Takes me back to 1986 when Microsoft was a good company. So was IBM.

Karl

Old 12-11-2008, 11:10 AM
squareyes

Lorenzo Luengo wrote:
> squareyes escribió:
>
>> Hi all,
>> does anyone on this list a fully functional Lenovo 3000 n200 laptop?
>> Mine has never had a properly working optical drive. Will install
>> operating systems then doesn't exist in either Win XP or Ubuntu.
>> Been in touch with Lenovo techs a number of times, different answers
>> each time.
>>

> Have you tried upgrading/downgrading firmware for your drive? Once i had
> a drive that didn't want to record any dvd, after upgrading firmware it did.

Many thanks,
have found on a Slackware site that indeed firmware update is necessary,
but have been unable to find update. Drive is Hitachi-LG GMA-4082N-Z,
Hitachi says
they only deal with equipment suppliers, and can't find it as named on
Lenovo site.
Will give them another ring tomorrow in the faint hope of some sort of
solution. If not will learn to live with the external
USB connected drive. Will also check out if this situation breaches Anti
Trust laws. Am fed up.
Have downloaded "Driver Detective" and see if I can get Cdrom to work on
Win XP, although this will not get it going
on Ubuntu.
Guess I have learn't not to get another Lenovo laptop. :-)
Would have thought something as basic as an optical drive in this day
and age should
present no problems, just work.
Thanks again,
Winton

Old 12-14-2008, 08:45 PM
NoOp

On 12/11/2008 04:10 AM, squareyes wrote:

> Many thanks,
> have found on a Slackware site that indeed firmware update is necessary,
> but have been unable to find update. Drive is Hitachi-LG GMA-4082N-Z,
> Hitachi says
> they only deal with equipment suppliers, and can't find it as named on
> Lenovo site.

It's an LG (Lucky Goldstar - Korea):

http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/gma-4082n.jhtml

Old 12-14-2008, 09:04 PM
NoOp

On 12/09/2008 04:37 PM, squareyes wrote:
> Hi all,
> does anyone on this list a fully functional Lenovo 3000 n200 laptop?
> Mine has never had a properly working optical drive. Will install
> operating systems then doesn't exist in either Win XP or Ubuntu.
> Been in touch with Lenovo techs a number of times, different answers
> each time.
> 1.Update bios
> 2.Install Win XP drivers (Don't seem to be any)
> 3.Sent me a new drive same problems (Sent it back)
> 4.My fault as original image not still on machine, sent me Recovery CD's
> Won't recover, Vista gets to welcome page then shuts down in a loop.
> 5. Sent machine to Lenovo, was told nothing wrong with it, but at last
> optical drive working. Shrunk Vista and installed Ubuntu 8.04, optical
> drive now gone again, in both Vista and Ubuntu.
> 6. Rang Lenovo and was told optical drive will only work with Vista even
> though they have for sale WinXP recovery CD's
> As this is NOT mentioned at point of sale if indeed it is correct,
> doesn't this breach anti trust laws?
>
> Would be very interested to hear if anyone has one of these machines
> working correctly, and if so,
> just how did they get it working, or should we avoid this machine?
> Lenovo forums seem to have numerous optical
> drive problems listed.
> Don't really want Vista, but will keep it if it means I can get Ubuntu
> running successfully.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
> Take Care
> Winton

Try:
http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2BLenovo+3000+n2 00

examples:
[Lenovo 3000 N200 DVD-rom missing]

Also try:
<http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/search?board_id=N_Series_Lenovo_3000&submitted=tru e&q=GMA-4082N>
See:
<http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=N_Series_Lenovo_3000&message.id=4 471&query.id=87688#M4471>
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/TVSU-UPDATE.html#DLP
and
<http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/search?board_id=N_Series_Lenovo_3000&submitted=tru e&q=ubuntu>

Old 12-15-2008, 11:12 AM
squareyes

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/09/2008 04:37 PM, squareyes wrote:
>

> Try:
> http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2BLenovo+3000+n2 00
>
> examples:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/198319
> [Lenovo 3000 N200 DVD-rom missing]
>
> Also try:
> <http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/search?board_id=N_Series_Lenovo_3000&submitted=tru e&q=GMA-4082N>
> See:
> <http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=N_Series_Lenovo_3000&message.id=4 471&query.id=87688#M4471>
> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/TVSU-UPDATE.html#DLP
> and
> <http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/search?board_id=N_Series_Lenovo_3000&submitted=tru e&q=ubuntu>

Hi NoOp,
Posted on the Lenovo forum a few times, no luck, rang Lenovo techs think
it's 8 times now, 8 different answers, most directed to it being my
fault as original image not still on machine. Launchpad is an eyeopener.

Downloaded
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/thinkvantage_en/systemupdate314-2008-5-15.exe
twice, downloaded with Linux, and against my better judgment, setup dial
up on Win XP and downloaded
with Internet Explorer, Neither would install, gets to can't complete
install, install interrupted, or similar. Again not surprised, recovery
discs Lenovo sent me wouldn't work either. Have no confidence in them at
all.

Have decided to remove Win XP and install Ubuntu on the full drive, and
use my external drive when I need to.
Tired of chasing this piece of poorly designed equipment. Would like the
email address of the Managing Director of the parent company though,
would like to send him/her a copy of my thoughts.

Have Dial up, so Alternate Ubuntu and installing Lilo isn't really an
option,
One good thing, after quite a bit of thought I have realized that I
don't know a single soul that I dislike enough to try and pass this
machine off to, so I guess I am a very lucky human being.

Many thanks for all the help and suggestions, most appreciated.
Take Care
Winton

Old 12-15-2008, 05:51 PM
NoOp

On 12/15/2008 04:12 AM, squareyes wrote:
[snip]

> Have decided to remove Win XP and install Ubuntu on the full drive, and
> use my external drive when I need to.
> Tired of chasing this piece of poorly designed equipment. Would like the
> email address of the Managing Director of the parent company though,
> would like to send him/her a copy of my thoughts.
>
> Have Dial up, so Alternate Ubuntu and installing Lilo isn't really an
> option,
> One good thing, after quite a bit of thought I have realized that I
> don't know a single soul that I dislike enough to try and pass this
> machine off to, so I guess I am a very lucky human being.
>
> Many thanks for all the help and suggestions, most appreciated.
> Take Care
> Winton

Well... at least your machine boots :-) I've a T21 Thinkpad with the
'Blink of Death' (faulty electrical components on the main board) that
is being used as a doorstop. Had to give my son my T30 so that he'd have
a laptop that actually boots up reliably for college. When that one dies
I'll get him a non-IBM/Lenovo machine to replace it.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:36 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/15/2008 04:12 AM, squareyes wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> Have decided to remove Win XP and install Ubuntu on the full drive, and
>> use my external drive when I need to.
>> Tired of chasing this piece of poorly designed equipment. Would like the
>> email address of the Managing Director of the parent company though,
>> would like to send him/her a copy of my thoughts.
>>
>> Have Dial up, so Alternate Ubuntu and installing Lilo isn't really an
>> option,
>> One good thing, after quite a bit of thought I have realized that I
>> don't know a single soul that I dislike enough to try and pass this
>> machine off to, so I guess I am a very lucky human being.
>>
>> Many thanks for all the help and suggestions, most appreciated.
>> Take Care
>> Winton
>>

> Well... at least your machine boots :-) I've a T21 Thinkpad with the
> 'Blink of Death' (faulty electrical components on the main board) that
> is being used as a doorstop. Had to give my son my T30 so that he'd have
> a laptop that actually boots up reliably for college. When that one dies
> I'll get him a non-IBM/Lenovo machine to replace it.

Watch out for the cheap HP laptops too. Mine was cheap and it was
only due to the nice people at HP that I got both windows and Ubuntu
running on it. I have an older Sony ($1200) which is large and
everything runs well on it.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI